HDS EDC: How about a Flexible Tactical mode?

blgentry

Newly Enlightened
I've had an HDS EDC-U60 for a few months now. What an *amazing* piece of engineering. This was obviously designed by someone who is a right at home here with all the flash-o-holics. And I mean that in a good way.

Now, while I really like the output of this light and all of the options it has available, it's missing one thing for me: A way to use it as a tactical light *and* have it be useful day to day. Let me explain:

If you want to be able to have the EDC come on at full brightness with a press (momentary on at max) you really have exactly two choices:

1. Use tactical momentary mode. This turns the light into a one trick pony as it will *only* come on momentarily (as long as you press the button) and *only* at full brightness. This is not an option for me. I understand why it was included, but I'll never use it this way.
2. Set the "simple momentary" option, which allows a press for momentary operation. Then force the light to always come on at maximum brightness. This works. I've tried it and it does exactly what you'd expect. But it's not what most people want for day to day use. It's perfect in tactical terms: You get blinding white light when you turn it on, momentary, or continuous. But I almost never want maximum. I usually want primary or secondary. Sure, both of those modes are a few clicks away, but I'd rather not have to. Particularly when I don't want to be blinded by my own light when turning it on.

So I propose the following: A new option called "flexible tactical". Upon setting the flexible tactical option, the light would operate as follows:

1. Doing a press from off (for momentary operation) *always* gives you maximum brightness.
2. Doing a click from off obeys the force setting. I.E., if you have a forced brightness setting, clicking takes you to that setting. If force is not turned on, clicking takes you to the last level you were using.

Simple right? This would make the EDC operate as a tactical light when you do a press, which is how most people are trained to use a tactical light. It also allows you to retain the flexibility of the light for all of your other day to day uses, by clicking it on. I honestly never use momentary with this light for day to day tasks, as clicking is easier.

I personally think this would be an ideal solution to having a multifunction light. What do you think?

Thanks,

Brian.

Babo

Newly Enlightened
I understand and applaud the concept.

If one was offered, I'd consider it.
Right now, both my lights (60LE and 42XRGT) are set at max/momentary.

My tactical training, coupled with the fact that most of my usage is outdoors, leads me to want max brightness first. I also apapreciate being able to control the duration of the "flash".

The other option you've proposed is appealing.

blgentry

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your encouraging response Babo.

See this has gotten a good number of views, but no comments other than his. Does no one else use these EDC lights as a tactical light? Or, like Babo, are you all just satisfied with having it always come on at max?

For me, 19 out of 20 times, I want the light on primary, so it's extra effort to go from max to primary, plus the blinding factor.

Brian.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. I have thought of this before and I would like the light to come on at full power in the simple momentary setting.

I also love this light and I am so happy that I got one.

-Goatee

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my HDS and it's definitely my favorite flashlight. I think a programmable strobe is in order for tactical usage.

Shao