Dissappointed by MagLED

Illum

Flashaholic
I went to Target and YES! the Inova XO [new] is available :naughty: and the XO3 is still a empty peg :rant:

Anyway, i saw a restock in the magled modules and decided to buy one to try it out.

Host Mag 3D originally runs a Diamond-LED Luxeon I , by eyeballing at the white wall i used for bounce [actually theres no white walls in the home, not with light green paint..]

the 3 watt cannot outperform the 1 watt...whats wrong?

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the 2D Mag-Led module yesterday and it outperform the 1W Diamond module I have for sale. I also prefer the tint of the Mag-Led module I just bought. :) Sure, Mag-Led are much underdriven but it would be nice to know if the LED life will be increased?

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe yours was a dud. The MagLED can only sustain the 3watt level for like 2 mins and then drops quick to like 1.5watts or so due to heat IIRC from the chart that was up. I wonder if filling the socket with something like AS5 would help?

Illum

Flashaholic
wel, im going to test the light at night again....

no point trying to eyeball a flashlight's light while suns comin in through the windows....

btw, theres no such thing as a "dark" area in the house...unless I test my lights in a closet...

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illum_the_nation said:
wel, im going to test the light at night again....

no point trying to eyeball a flashlight's light while suns comin in through the windows....

btw, theres no such thing as a "dark" area in the house...unless I test my lights in a closet...

You're telling me you don't have a "Batcave" like everyone else around here. You know the room that's complete dark with the lights off, with no windows and is full of tools, and a turn table for a car we don't have since we spent all our money on lights. :laughing:

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had this kind of room at my parents house! The darkest places in my appartment are closets.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
tebore said:
You're telling me you don't have a "Batcave" like everyone else around here. You know the room that's complete dark with the lights off, with no windows and is full of tools, and a turn table for a car we don't have since we spent all our money on lights. :laughing:

no...im phobic to blackness....
so...yeah...seeing a 19 year old guy sleep with smilye faced stars and moon nightlights can be a bit embarassing....
only batcave I can think of in the house would be the bathroom, provided I board up the window

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast

lol, I have mental picture of the cupboards under the stairs in CPF'ers homes with little notices posted on the doors...

"Flashlight Testing Facility - Do Not Enter When Red Light Is On"

CFU

Illum

Flashaholic
Casual Flashlight User said:
lol, I have mental picture of the cupboards under the stairs in CPF'ers homes with little notices posted on the doors...

"Flashlight Testing Facility - Do Not Enter When Red Light Is On"

CFU

well i do have a single 5mm red led blinker mounted onto a cardboard sign on the bathroom door.

Do not use tub when light is blinking, expect Illumination instrument o-ring seal [water resistance] testing in the next 3 hours....good thing we have two bathrooms ones a tub ones a shower stall...i scrub the tub before testing to prevent dirty water entering into the lights in the even of a leak...

complex process, so i seldom use it...most often I use a 5 gallon paint bucket instead....but most of those buckets turned into flower pots and water lily growing bins :ohgeez:

RoyJ

Enlightened
tebore said:
Maybe yours was a dud. The MagLED can only sustain the 3watt level for like 2 mins and then drops quick to like 1.5watts or so due to heat IIRC from the chart that was up. I wonder if filling the socket with something like AS5 would help?

Is that not what the Diamonds are also like? (quickly drops to 50% output and holds there).

auroraborealis

Newly Enlightened
Hello.

RoyJ. As5 i assume is arctic silver thermal compound.

I did notice on the 2D led mag that the outer mount shielding is more of an electrical insulator than a conductor.

I was thinking of taking a piece of copper pipe (the correct lenth) and at one end cut vertical slots and bend them outward to form a radial heat sink. Once slipped over the mounting and in contact with the metal part of the mount. That should allow for a good thermal disapation. In addition to your as5. So long as it's a PR and not a RP.

I looked over the flashlight review's ,review of the led mags. I agree that there is very little thermal regulation especialy on the circuits, odd design indeed.

I wonder if it's worth the trouble to fix the 2d mag led. If it realy drops to 1.5 or even 1 watt due to heat then why not just get a niteize dropin for your regular 2d or so mag. Granted it's not a luxeon.

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
But Diamond isn't the evil Mag Instruments company, so they're immune/exempt from such criticism. (sorry don't know which emoticon/icon I should use for tounge-in-cheek.)

RoyJ said:
Is that not what the Diamonds are also like? (quickly drops to 50% output and holds there).

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, I believe that FR's review of the Diamond 1W drop-in mentioned that it's only supposed to be used on 2-cell lights. It will work with 3-cell hosts, but it will get very hot and the module might have a reduced lifespan. Also, his review of the Diamond 3W (for 3-cell lights) shows that 50% drop, but it doesn't mention whether it's due to heat or to poor regulation. It seems like it must be the heat, just like the MagLED modules - that particular output curve isn't very common.

My MagLED is brighter, whiter, and a better thrower than my DB-3W. Whatever, though.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not impressed with the MagLED drop-ins,
I don't like the idea of only having a 3 watt light for only 3 minutes or so
then have it go to less than half brightness,

squirrel

Newly Enlightened
I have decided to pass on the LED minimags.
I have the D cell mags and they work perfect for me. if I want a 2AA platform, There are better ones out there. Ill get one of those. as for the D cell platform, I dont know if there are any that match maglites feel/durability/usage as well. someone inform me if there is.
I have 1-2 old incan MM that I am going to drop a SMJLED in and that will be that for the 2AA form factor from Maglite.