A repository of maximum voltage tolerable by hotwire bulbs desired

ciam

Newly Enlightened
It would be nice if there's a repository of maximum voltage tolerable by different hotwire bulbs. This pooling our collective experiences should result in fewer instaflash bulbs and thus saves all of us $$$$ and frustration when we try to perfect our mods. What do you think?

Last edited:

Starlight

Enlightened
What you are asking isn't really possible because of all the other variables. Max voltage depends on internal resistance of the particular batteries you are using. It also depends on the total resistance of the particular light you are using. Changes in either of these will change the instaflash voltage level, sometimes significantly.

ciam

Newly Enlightened
I don't mean the maximum voltage of the cells used. I mean the maximum voltage across the bulb itself. We could have measured the total resistance of our light host and the internal resistance of the cells beforehand. Ideally, knowing this voltage would let us know before trying if a certain battery configuration would instaflash the bulb.

ciam

Newly Enlightened
THANKS!!!!! That's simply AWESOME!!!!! I wonder how many light bulbs you've burnt. Really a wealth of info in there and it should be required reading for any aspiring hotwire modders. These two links should have been made sticky somewhere.

andrewwynn said:
start with http://hotlamps.rouse.com also use http://hotrater.rouse.com (grab the spreadsheet).. you can re-rate a lamp using 'goal seek' in excel to figure out what voltage will get you 10 hrs bulb life.. that's a very good guideline for maximum bulb voltage!

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
the best part.. 95% of that chart was based on theory.. i learned the 'other' hard way.. hundreds of hours of research.. the funny thing.. when i discovered how to make a regulator to control vBulb to avoid flashing lamps.. and it also means you can push them harder.. my goal was to set out and find a more efficient, economical or just out-right brighter light solution than than the 1185..

after hundreds of hours of research and months of real time passed.. the 'bang for buck' winner was still the 1185..

Only now.. rather than a typical 750-800L that most mag85s will output..

MY versions usually output 880L up to 1000L.. something impossible to pull off with direct-drive!

I think the hotrater and hotlamps are stickies.. just over at flashlight forums i didn't post them here. (though often people do set up a link over there).

I need to update the hotlamps list.. a lot of new lamps in there. I don't have the specs for the two ROP lamps.. once i have those i think i'll re-do the hotlamps spreadsheet.

Oh.. i did blow plenty of lamps.. as it turns out.. don't try to direct-drive the 1316 from 7.2.. and the osram '275.. even regulated 7.2 is too much.. the other lamp i've blown the most of are 1185s... mostly from accidentally applying too much voltage.. and the 64625 which is probably the lamp i've blown the most of.. maybe 6 or 7 of them at least. Good thing i get them for $2.85.

-awr