Anyone check out bwldesigns.com ?

x2x3x2

Banned
Seems like another cheap trick into the LED torch market, trying to make some quick cash.

Is it supposed to be $90 per light, with additional cost for extras.
Stated as tougher and better than "china lights", but the specs are same as any of the other "china lights" anyway.

The tailcap isnt even machined to match the body properly...

Just wondering what u guys think of these "manufacturers" that come up now n then tryin to make a quick buck?

X Racer

Enlightened
CPF members who have purchased this light seem to like it alot. Quickbeam has one for review supposedly, so we will all have an excellent review of this light soon. Looks to be a nice light so far...

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
x2x3x2 said:
Seems like another cheap trick into the LED torch market, trying to make some quick cash.
NOT a "trick" at all!

x2x3x2 said:
Is it supposed to be $90 per light, with additional cost for extras.
Stated as tougher and better than "china lights", but the specs are same as any of the other "china lights" anyway.
It IS $90 and doesn't even compare to any "china lights" I've ever examined - NOT EVEN CLOSE! As far as "specs", I've got to disagree with you. Do you know anything about a 3 watt MadMax plus module from "The Sandwiche Shoppe"? The body is machined similar to Elektro Lumens "Blaster", the knurling on the head & tailcap are aggressive enough - coupled with threads that make one handed operation very easy! Hard anodized with a hard glass/AR coated lens, IMS refector...

x2x3x2 said:
The tailcap isnt even machined to match the body properly...
I've no idea what you're talking about here. Mine is just fine and the body diameter vs the tailcap diameter lends for a GREAT "cigar type grip" - very utilitarian to me!

x2x3x2 said:
Just wondering what u guys think of these "manufacturers" that come up now n then trying to make a quick buck?
I must admit that I was "skeptical" when I first saw the post about it. The information and pictures intrigued me enough to "take a chance for the CPF members" and I DO NOT REGRET IT!

I also understand the "attitude" about a lot of the lights (indeed very low quality, knockoffs, & such) that have entered the market within the last couple years - but this is not one of those. As I said in my post in the designer's/manufacturer's thread - "to me", it compares in quality to a Pierce M10.

Unless you've handled/examined one, I'd ask if you formed the negative attitude you've projected merely from reading about it? I'd say you "jumped" a little quick to form an opinion of it without checking one out.

bwldesigns did "come out of the blue", but seems to "ring a bell" with me from some past post that I'd have to look for (the ole' needle in the haystack?). I took the chance and won (maybe I got an "odd one"? :thinking: :shrug: )!!

Last edited:

x2x3x2

Banned
i see, glad is turns out to be something good after all.
And yes im familiar with stuff from the shoppe.

so over a scale of 1 to 10, how much better in terms of build quality is this torch compared to lets say the Huntlight FT01 which is a "china light"?

thanks.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Sorry, I don't have a Huntlight to compare - perhaps someone else does. I'm waiting for Quickbeam's review - it's totally possible I'm "warped"! :ohgeez:

We certainly have a diverse group of "Flashaholics" here. When it comes to opinions, there's more than plenty to go around.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Comparing these lights to the M10 is an impressive compliment. As it came from you, Sigman, I might have to try one of these out some time!

x2x3x2

Banned
Well the review on flashlightreviews.com is up.

U were saying something about Madmax... ? Well anyway...

Just look at the horrible runtime/regulation on alkaline AA.
Pretty disapointing considering this was supposedly designed for use with with "readily available" AA batteries which 90% of the time are alkalines.
(FYI, in the SG army, the issued batts are GP alkalines, not lithiums.)

Secondly its advertised as 1 piece. But its just the same as most other lights, 3 seperate parts of bezel body n tailcap.

Also the purple tint...

So, which part of the literature of the initial design concept remains unproven?

@Sigman

U were saying something about the specs justifying the $90 tag.
Well, it has an aluminium body, smooth plastic reflector, "ar coated crown class" (who can verify this?), single stage twisty, 18 min to 50% output on alkaline, HA III.
Seems like the only + spec is the HA III.

In my opinion for the asking price of $90, it should at least have a stainless steel body, textured metal reflector, single stage twisty is ok but 2 stage clickie like Liteflux would be nice, regular ar coated glass lense would be just fine, at least 1 hour to 50% output.
I would think even these are pretty conservative specs for a $90 light, no?

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree - I was surprised at Quickbeam's results. I gasped when I saw the runtime plot. It's absolutely horrible. The JETBeam JET-1, for example, in the same 1xAA configuration, is brighter, for longer, with a flatter output curve, for a little over half the price.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I posted my comments in another thread that noted Quickbeam's review - I think he got a "lemon" MadMax module? I can't do a runtime, other than a calibrated eyeball - so I'll leave that to the pros.

Yeah, x2x3x2 - I probably got a rare good one. If mine sucked, I certainly would have said so as I've no reason in the world to embellish. It's certainly not my job to promote it. I value Quickbeam's reviews and believe he has posted honest information for the light he's received. From your first post on it, your opinion was already noted.

You certainly have a right to your opinion and I respect that right. Some folks don't have that right in their countries, eh? If you don't like the torch, no one's forcing you to purchase one. Spend your money wisely and as you see fit... :thumbsup:

BTW I own 6 other MadMax modules...no problems with them at all. They use a single AA cell very well! Additionally, it sounds like you have a good light spec'd out...maybe you should try producing a few?

Last edited:

x2x3x2

Banned
@Sigman

Yah maybe u are right, might have just been lucky/unlucky.

Anyway i wanted to discuss different opinions so justify a purchase or not.

The specs i stated regarding what a $90 light should have in my opinion is just what i compared n gathered from other lights such as those from Peak/Fenix/Liteflux/etc.
I think the AA market is already pretty saturated right now, theres already so many MASS MANUFACTURED with different specs in terms of bodies (Peak has all sorts of metals), functionality (HDS/LRI) and value (Fenix/Huntlight/Liteflux).

Now that the review is out with some much looked forward to details, at the end of the day its up to personal choice as u said, so lets just leave it at that :)

Last edited: