niteize test results

auroraborealis

Newly Enlightened
Hello. I recently did a test on the niteize c/d drop in LED replacement bulbs.

Suffice as to say the results were far less than stellar.

Testing with 2, 3 and 6 cell C and D maglites and fresh batteries.

Originaly the claims of the niteize were of 1.5 watts. Niteize.com claimed 0.8 watts. My own light meter calc results showed under 0,3 watts.

Second test was against the cheapest of the shakelites i could find (which was not difficult to find.).

The shake lite was 134% bighter than the niteize (on any of the maglites).

Point of fact. The ambiant light from the transparent body of the shake light over powered the niteize.

With the niteize focused and wide beam there were no artifacts .

More than slight blue green tinge.

I can't see this niteize led upgrade as an emergency light either.

You would be better off with one of those 4 led 2aa battery flashlights that go for 5.99$.

Looking for a good led replacement drop in . try a LPR-2, -3, or any of the TR's or even a diamond.

Niteize rating out of 5 = 1.

roknrandy

Newly Enlightened
This bulb is meant to run low and long which it does very well, I've never seen any info that it claimed 1.3 or .8 If you really want to suck all the juice out of a set of batteries.....this will do it.

The web site (http://www.niteize.com/productdetai...27&PHPSESSID=ab7b70e0e177916867e65e16614458b8) shows hours of run time but not the output leves. Where did you see your numbers at?

I have a plug in emergency light that kick on when the juice goes out (nica 4AA) that I got 5-1/2 hours run time with this bulb and only got 40 minutes with the incan that came with it.

Last edited:

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
As has been stated above, the purpose of the Nite Ize PR bulb is not brightness, but *runtime*, it's an *emergency* bulb, meant to be stored in the tailcap until you need it, even a dim light is better than none

i did a runtime test with the NI PR in a 6D Mag and got about a week of *CONTINUOUS* runtime out of it, usable light the whole time

as a long-running bulb it's a great bulb, it's not meant to be a retina-scorcher

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I lost track of that test. How long did it eventually run for? Or is it still running? :D

MacTech said:
i did a runtime test with the NI PR in a 6D Mag and got about a week of *CONTINUOUS* runtime out of it, usable light the whole time

Glock40

Newly Enlightened
I bought one of these and soon replaced it with the mag led when it came out. I keep the NI led the the tailcap of my 4d mag. The only purpose i can see that i would have for this bulb is during an extended power outage of a few days.I would put it in and use it like a nite lite, just leaving it on all night long. I have many other lights to use to lite up a room when awake but i maybe would just turn it on and leave it on. Thats the only purpose i can see for it.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a runtime test on a single D cell (no meters, just judgements by eye). It was difficult to judge the brightness during the day so I started the test at night and checked it at about the same time each day for the next week.

There was no noticable dimming for the first 4 days. Battery voltage at 4 days was 1.0 volt.
At 5 days (0.9v), there was a little bit of dimming but still bright enough for use.
At 6 days (0.8v), it had dimmed significantly. Could still be used for close up work.
By 7 days (0.75v), it had become a green marker light. At least it was findable to change the battery.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Energizer Bunny musta made 18,000,000 laps between start and end of this test..

BOMP BOMP BOMP BOMP BOMP...Still Going.... :)

Brighteyez said:
Sorry, I lost track of that test. How long did it eventually run for? Or is it still running? :D

h_nu

Enlightened
I don't know about runtime but the NiteIze also works in a 2 AA flashlight.

I use EverLED's in my 4 D Mag and a 4 AA flashlight with Lithiums but the NiteIze drop in is around in case I need it for a loaner or giveaway flashlight. It's nice to have flexible options that are cheaper.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
yellow1 said:
i'd say a 1 was being overly generous.

they don't illuminate worth a d@rn.
Try it out in a dark room. You'll be surprised how useful it is. In fact, it's many times brighter than a Gladius's lowest setting, which I still find useful. It isn't as much light as a flashaholic would want, but it's definitely enough to navigate by, even on ceiling bounce.

DeanS

Newly Enlightened
That is exactly why I got this LED for my flashlight. I wanted a long running source of light that would provide light for several nights. I lived in the San Francisco/Bay "earthquake" Area for many years and so I expect, at some point, to have no electricity for many day and NIGHTS after the next big earthquake. My question is: What kind of (short) run time would I get with the original krypton bulb with fresh D cell batteries? I'm trying to figure out how much better off I am with the LED ve krypton bulb.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the original krypton bulb, you'll get around half an hour of good brightness, and eleven hours of light in total. Most of that light will be yellow and useless. If you want a long-lasting and bright upgrade, consider the MagLED. It won't run quite as long as the Nite-Ize, but it's considerably brighter.

roknrandy

Newly Enlightened
DeanS said:
That is exactly why I got this LED for my flashlight. I wanted a long running source of light that would provide light for several nights. I lived in the San Francisco/Bay "earthquake" Area for many years and so I expect, at some point, to have no electricity for many day and NIGHTS after the next big earthquake. My question is: What kind of (short) run time would I get with the original krypton bulb with fresh D cell batteries? I'm trying to figure out how much better off I am with the LED ve krypton bulb.

Here ya' go Dean http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_3d.htm

and you already know what the Nite-Ize bulb does.

If you want better runtime with LED (and more light) get the mag or diamond upgrades.

If you want lots of run time with dimmer lite then Nite-ize is where you go.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
got about a week of *CONTINUOUS* runtime out of it, usable light the whole time

That sounds very appealing. Myself, I am always more interested in long run time vs. Lumens for 30 minutes. Much more practical.

riversedge

Newly Enlightened
I've got a one of the Nite-Ize PR based bulbs in a Craftsman Endurable 3xAAA that I snatched the LED out of for a 3D Mag. I gave the light to my 7yo for an around the house and neighborhood light, loaded with lithium AA's. She's left it on for the weekend before, with very little noticeable dimming. It's plenty bright for 95% of the things she would need a flashlight for, and probably 70% of what I would need one for.

I think that if you keep in mind what it is, it's a great little bulb.

auroraborealis

Newly Enlightened
Hello.

Roknrandy. Niteize customer service and one of thier official distributors gave me those wattage ratings.

How's them apples?

The tests were done in a basement 6 feet under ground with no windows and any light source what so ever.. Perhaps is that dark enough for every one hrrrmmm?

I took one of those 6$ 2aa battery 4led flashlight bulbs and put it in my c/d mags 2 & 3 cell (granted very minor resistance mod for the 3 cell).

My insignificant little mod far outshines the niteize, and with four regular bright leds, it will shine for weeks on end, and it's been going for 4 days straight no decernable drop in output.

Hrrrm 6$ when compared to 18$ for a niteize.

In all honesty a shakelite is a better buy for any emergency flashlight.

Fine the niteize provides long battery life. However for the amount of "USEFUL" light it gives out when compared to a shakelite or even my pityful 4 led mod. I won't risk breaking my neck tripping over something if i can't see it with the niteize. Might as well just put a blindfold on instead.

pathalogical

Enlightened
I don't about tests and run times, but how can the same NI LED be used in a wide range of Maglites ? From a 2D up to 6D ! You can't take a 6D bulb and use it in a 2D lite and get the same brightness. Shouldn't there be a 2D drop-in, a 3D drop-in etc., each bulb appropriate for the voltage being supplied. I saw these NI at a local store, but after reading the test above, I won't be spending money on it. Thanks for the review, Auroraborealis !!!

riversedge

Newly Enlightened
auroraborealis said:
Hello.
....Hrrrm 6$ when compared to 18$ for a niteize.....
$18 for a Nite-Ize? Dang, I guess they saw you comin', huh?

I got mine for $5:whistle:

roknrandy

Newly Enlightened
Auroraborealis, As long as your happy with the shake light that's all that matters. Like riversedge I got mine for 5.95 at a local Wal-Mart so It was a cheap play/experiment bulb.