Help re Surefire 623 tailcap?

Hambone

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I have several Surefires. One is a foreend mounted 623 weapons light on a Mossberg 590A1 shotgun. Surefire offers a cap to cover the space where the light screws into the foreend. However, why don't they offer a tailcap assembly so that the tactical light can be used as a FLASHLIGHT when not attached to the weapon? This would be of great use I think. Does anyone know of an accessory tailcap, or spacer, or aftermarket push button tailcap assembly which would allow me to use my Surefire 623 weapon light as a flashlight when not attached to my shotgun? Many thanks for your help.
Regards,
Hambone

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
the reason surefire does not make one is because the threads are not long enough and you woulld have to get anouther bulb becuase when its on your shotgun it takes two batteris but when you unscrew it you only have one battery then making you change bulbs to a 3p bulb me and a freind did this one time we put a g2 bezel with a gg&g impact for the bezel then we had to grind down part of the body to allow the tailcap to fit so baisicaly its a cheap 3p.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Of course SureFire offers the components required to use a Lamp Module as a handheld flashlight!!

It's the A21.

The Lamp Modules screw into housings (such as the H23 forend housing for the Mossberg 590), or the classic universal housing body- the A21.

The A21 is threaded on the inside of one end to accept a Lamp Module, and threaded on the outside of the other end to accept a TailCap.

P115.jpg

SunStar

Enlightened
Size15's said:
Of course SureFire offers the components required to use a Lamp Module as a handheld flashlight!!

It's the A21.

The Lamp Modules screw into housings (such as the H23 forend housing for the Mossberg 590), or the classic universal housing body- the A21.

The A21 is threaded on the inside of one end to accept a Lamp Module, and threaded on the outside of the other end to accept a TailCap.

P115.jpg

Dude... you RULE when it comes to Surefire!!

I got to keep this one in mind.

:bow:

Hambone

Newly Enlightened
Admin, you da man. Surefire said they did not have anything to do this! Because I'm ignorant of this subject, let me confirm:

If I buy the A21, then I will be able to unscrew and remove the lamp and battery housing from my Mossberg 590 foreend 623 taclight, screw the A21 on the back, add a standard 6P tailcap, and I've got a handheld flashlight that uses 2 lithium 123s, just like my 6P and G2? Is it really that simple or do I need a special battery or other such nonsense? See, this makes sense. This shotgun, my 590A1, is for home defense, deer brush, hogs, etc. Alot of times I use it in daylight and don't need a taclight hanging of my shotgun, but do need a handheld to ID things, people, etc. at dusk. It's bad manners and unsafe to point a 12 gauge shotgun at things you merely want to ID, not shoot, and I'd rather just have one light assembly for all these things. It makes complete sense to have a component that does this and Surefire didn't know of anything when i called! Many thanks for your help!
HB

Size15's

Flashaholic
With SureFire is all about trying to get their terminology right...

SureFire Forend WeaponLights consist of a forend housing which has integrated switches and secures to the firearm often replacing the existing forend.

Into the end of the forend housing you screw a Lamp Module.

The Lamp Modules consist of the shock isolated bezel, Lamp Assembly and adapter collar / Lamp Module body.

With the Classic (rather than the Millennium Series) WeaponLights the Lamp Module holds one less than the total number of batteries required. The last battery is held in the housing - be that a forend housing, or a universal housing body (aka A21).

So:

The L60 features the Z32 shock isolated bezel, the P60 lamp assembly and a lamp module body that holds one-SF123A battery. The second battery is held by the housing into which the L60 is screwed - be that the H23 forend housing, or the A21 universal housing.

To use the L60 Lamp Module from a 623 WeaponLight as a handheld (or universal WeaponLight) you need an A21 and a TailCap of your choice (such as the standard Z41 LOTC used by the 6P etc).

The 623 uses two-SF123A batteries. The handheld model you create using the L60 and A21 also uses two-SF123A batteries.

I hope this helps?

Al

Hambone

Newly Enlightened
It helps greatly. Couldn't find this information anywhere else, nor could the people at Surefire helped. My question to them was simply "What do I need to convert my 623 forend light to a handheld flashlight when the taclight is removed from the weapon". I asked about spacers, etc., and they said they didn't have anything that would do that. I found this odd. You answered my question and then some, many thanks,
HB

Hambone

Newly Enlightened
Size15s, got my A21 in a couple days ago. Perfect! That and a tailcap and my 623 Mossberg 590A1 taclight goes from weapon to handheld. Got a red filter on that pup. This gives me alot of flexibility and one less piece of gear to worry about when I'm out hunting in the scrub of Texas for a week. Many thanks!
'HB

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Hey Al ... those batteries in your pics ... what are they? 2x123 and 3x123 "combo sticks" or something like that? Where can I get them? :D
bernie

Size15's said:

It's the A21.

P115.jpg

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire's battery sticks protect the individual SF123A batteries against the damage they are subjected to as a result of being used to power WeaponLights attached to heavy-recoil firearms (such as shotguns) and others where the firearm is used intensively and often. Additionally, the battery sticks protect against damage caused to batteries in BatonLights and other lights used in highly abusive situations.

The battery sticks consist of the individual SF123A contacts welded together with a dense foam washer inbetween each battery. This stops the contacts being crushed by preventing the batteries slamming into each other, and ensures high quality contact.

The battery sticks:
SF223AC (two-SF123A batteries)
SF323AC (three-SF123A batteries)
SF423AC (four-SF123A batteries)

I understand that SureFire do not offer these any longer because of the problems of shipping them (?)

However, I doubt that would get in the way of Special Forces (etc) being able to get hold of them. After all, it is for these types of operators they were made since they are more likely to use their weaponlighted firearms far more often and intensively compared to regular firearms owners.

Al

Hambone

Newly Enlightened
I will say this from firsthand experience: A Z32 shock bezel is insufficient to turn a 6P into a weaponslight. People advocate this on tactical forums, but the people that do either are much luckier than me or don't shoot. The recoil from an M4 .223 (minimal recoil) broke the contacts, twice, within 300 rds. You need the shock isolated ridge in the dedicated weaponslight body. You need the shock isolated bezel. The batteries do bang together and the battery contact in the middle of the two will squash a bit. However, all I do is get a several inch long, 2" wide piece of heavy duty packing tape and put the batteries together as they will go in the light, and roll them up as I push them together. No problem.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Hambone said:
I will say this from firsthand experience: A Z32 shock bezel is insufficient to turn a 6P into a weaponslight. People advocate this on tactical forums, but the people that do either are much luckier than me or don't shoot.

I think a bit of both perhaps, or they replace the batteries thinking their drained rather than damaged...

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hambone said:
... all I do is get a several inch long, 2" wide piece of heavy duty packing tape and put the batteries together as they will go in the light, and roll them up as I push them together. No problem.

Ooohh... good tip! I am considering a 618FA for my Rem870P and this would be a good way to protect the batteries, and prep a set for replacement.

Hambone

Newly Enlightened
Yep, it's always worked for me Sween. After awhile you'll start to see the contact in the middle being pushed down from battering. Not nearly as bad with the batteries taped together. I use heavy clear plastic packing tape. Roll it about two times. The batteries recoil between the springs and don't bang together as much in the middle. It's kind of like one of those things where the metal balls are hanging on strings in the wood frame and you let them knock together. The 618FA is a great piece of gear, same as the 623. I bought mine used like new for $180 delivered. A nice feature that I kindof wish I had is the new one with the switch to turn disable the pressure bad and switch so it does not accidently go on in your trunk, safe, vehicle, etc. At the very least one of those little metal plates for the pressure switch is a must to me. Good hunting bro.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
Hambone said:
The 618FA is a great piece of gear, same as the 623. I bought mine used like new for $180 delivered. A nice feature that I kindof wish I had is the new one with the switch to turn disable the pressure bad and switch so it does not accidently go on in your trunk, safe, vehicle, etc. At the very least one of those little metal plates for the pressure switch is a must to me. Good hunting bro.

The model "xxxFGA" rather than "xxxFA" has the disable switch...

kfasold

Newly Enlightened
Al --

So here's another question in the same vein. I've got a 623 forend as well (2-batteries), but would like to convert it to a 923-equivalent (3-battery, P90 LA). It appears the SureFire A12 is an appropriately-threaded "battery spacer"???

Thanks.

Size15's

Flashaholic
There are two main options.

You can put an extender between the housing and the TailCap - the A19,
Or,
You can put an extender between the housing and the Lamp Module - the A12.

The A19 is knurled whereas the A12 is flat like the A21.
The A19 can be used on flashlights such as the 6P where as the A12 can only be used on WeaponLight components.

SureFire have the option of extending backwards of the housing, and forwards of the housing depending on where/how the WeaponLight is mounted. For example the A12 has to be used where the housing is integrated into the forend such as a shotgun forend.

bones_708

Enlightened
There happens to be a seller on ebay which has the battery sticks for the weapon lights. ptron2. I have yet to purchase anything from him so ...........
Seems to be EBCbattery.com funny thing tho they only sell the sticks on ebay not on their own website?