HELP: Mounting Converters in Mag 2C ?

X Racer

Enlightened
I want to build some Mag 2Cs into nice luxeon conversions. I plan to run these on either 3xCR123 or 2x17500. I have both the Hotlips C sinks and some of the O-sinks.

I do not want to run super high Vf LuxVs in Direct Drive though like the space needle. I would like to run them regulated at ~3 volts. I'd like to have options for building them up with either 3 watt LuxIIIs or 5 watt LuxVs running in regulation.

What would you folks suggest is best ? What converters should I use and where/how to mount them into the Mag 2C ?

Last edited:

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Mounting Converters in Mag 2C ?

For a single LuxIII I like to use a nFlex, it will let you select several different current drive levels and scroll the brightness up/down using the switch. The driver isn't too difficult to mount, the switch will need a little dremel work on the face of it to make room for the board so it will set at an angle (like this \ ) , then mod the switch to momentary.

Eh' LuxV's are nice but after making a few Tri-Lux lights in the C body using a FatMan driver I like them better than the single LuxV, different strokes :)

The MaxFlex driver which should be available in a week or two marries the boost driver of the FatMan with the nFlex controller, this should be a very sweet set up.

These are just a few options, other drivers are available from The Sandwich Shoppe but I don't have enough experience with them to make a sound recommendation.

Hope this helps a little.

Later
Kelly

Last edited:

lildave

Newly Enlightened

try the 3watt w/nexgen (from the shoppe) even the madmax will work great and good old fasion c's my favorite for now, but when the maxflex comes out.
I have a HA 2c w/uwoj 3watt) waitting for the maxflex ok 3 of them ( I know I have a problem)

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast

X Racer said:

What converters should I use and where/how to mount them into the Mag 2C ?

nobody seems to want to share the way they mount boards in their Mag's... :(

I think i'm going to try to use some PVC pipe bolted to the switch... (at least w/ the D-sized mags thats what I'm going to do...

lildave

Newly Enlightened

sorry, I just use themal caulking and shove it in to the bottom of the sink. you can use a e-can (from the shoppe)

X Racer

Enlightened

Any other tips on actually mounting the board in there, say in the bottom of a hotlips C sink ?

I have some UX1K emitters and DB917 converters on the way to use with my hotlips heatsinks, so I am ready to build a few of these up and I think I am clear on everything except where or how to actually mount the converter board.

:anyone:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well you can use an O-sink. They have a space designed for a e-can to fit into. Simply wire them up make sure all is working and pot the driver board into the e-can and stick the e-can inside the O-Sink.
I have done and it works very well. No it is not perfectly efficient but it is better than having the driver sitting in the air space within the mag body.
I have pretty much halted production of the O-Sink due to lack of demand. The receint introduction of LED versions of Mag Lights have all but killed the O-sink program.

Here is an image of the C cell O-sink with and without the e-Can.
The e-can's are available at "the shop"
O-sinks are available at flashlightlens.com ....If he has any more of them.
I have a very few D's left and maybe a couple of "C"'s.
Yaesumofo

oandnccellrearsm.jpg

X Racer said:
Any other tips on actually mounting the board in there, say in the bottom of a hotlips C sink ?

I have some UX1K emitters and DB917 converters on the way to use with my hotlips heatsinks, so I am ready to build a few of these up and I think I am clear on everything except where or how to actually mount the converter board.

:anyone:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will share.
the D mag using an O-Sink the converter will fit nicley in the underside of the sink no problem.
with The c cell units the O-Sink is designed for use with a e-can.
Which converter is dependant on what emitter and how much battery power you have to work with.
The converters from "the shop" are fine and they have many boards to fit most needs.
Yaesumofo

jar3ds said:
nobody seems to want to share the way they mount boards in their Mag's... :(

I think i'm going to try to use some PVC pipe bolted to the switch... (at least w/ the D-sized mags thats what I'm going to do...

X Racer

Enlightened
Icarus, funny you should post now. I had seen the ones you were selling recently and was actually just thinking about sending you a PM and directing you to this thread to see if there was anything you could offer.

I've seen your mods and they are awesome, a little over my head for now though. I first need to pull off something like the regulated space needle lights you had for sale recently in the custom B/S/T...

Without the means to make custom parts myself, can I just epoxy the driver board into the back of the sink or is there a better / easier way ? I guess I could order some e-cans if need be...

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't have access to a lathe just epoxy the driver to the back of the heatsink. It will work as good as with an ecan. Not as neat though. :shrug:

Timson

Enlightened
Icarus,

Your Mag-Mods are legendary here for neatness and quality...Very inspirational and its great that you share your 'secrets' for others to copy - aspire to.

Tim.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes justlike Freddy said, you can pot the driver with some epoxy. I've only built one M@g LuxIII. I must admit it was very bright and had lots of throw but them beam was just not very usefull. If I build another, it will be a tri or quad Lux. They produce a much better beam.