L1T - Why CR123 Tube?

scott

Enlightened
I realize the L1T with the CR123 will be shorter. How much? I know that CR123 lithiums can be had cheaper than AA lithiums when purchased online.
The AA tube would be better for rechargables--right? If I were to get the 123 tube, what do I gain (or lose) in brightness and runtime?

Scott

(I realize the CR123 conversion isn't available just yet.)

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your flashlight will measure approx 3 inches - You will lose nothing in brightness or runtime...fantastic little set-up IMO.
buttrock.gif

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l2p_123a.htm

The above link is for the LxP with CR123...but it gives you the idea...

CFU

Edit: Not sure about RCR123's as I don't use them.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
As CFU said, right at 3" length. It's a very handy, pocketable length for a "clicky" light. You will actually GAIN brightness over a L1T. An L1T head with CR123 tube will be the same brightness as an L2T.

X Racer

Enlightened
Yep, AA cells are only 1.5 volts. The CR123 cells are 3 volts, the equivalent of two AAs. So the L1T with the CR123 tube will be smaller than a normal L1T while having the output of a L2T...

Ken 222

Newly Enlightened
Coop57, that's the good news! 4Sevens posted that he'd have the cr123 tubes for L1T/L2T soon.

Ken

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could just use the 14500 in the L1T. Nice and bright and you don't have to buy more gear.

But if you have a good supply of CR123 get the body.

Or do which ever is cheaper so you can save up for your next light sooner!

lightningbug

Newly Enlightened
Coop57 said:
Bummer that it does not work with the L2T head/switch.

It does work with a minor addition. A ring of solder, solid wire, or even a thin ring cut from copper tubing works great to lengthen the 123 body just enough to make contact in the head. I have an L2T head as well as an L2P both running on 123 bodies, and with the tailcap mod, have 3 stage and 2 stage lights. They're fantastic!

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a lot of people who want the smallest light possible, but still want a clicky switch. I've read countless comments of people who want a P1 with a clicky. An L2P or L2T head/switch mated with a CR123A tube is the closest they can get.

frisco

Enlightened
The L2P rCR2 nekomane is still one of my all time favorites!

2.6 inch Clicky rechargable and BRIGHT !!!!

frisco

yekim

Enlightened
My L2T's are quickly being surpassed for EDC by other lights. They still have a great many attributes that make them desirable, especially for long term storage and emergency lights (bright, two stage, can stand on tail, can be locked out), and converting them to 123a, which I have a ton of, would be beneficial, so I can lock them out, stuff them in glove boxes, and forget about them until I need them. Also, BatteryStation has bulk cr123's that did not meet their standards on the ZTS test and they are available cheap, their being sold for the sole purpose of powering single cell lights.

What's not to like?

Lumbee1

Newly Enlightened
Any updates on this? I am very interested in a CR123 tube for my L2T. Although I don't mind the 2AA size that much, a 3 inch version with the same characteristics would be very nice. There aren't too many holsters available for 2AA lights either :(.

Sable

Enlightened
Whee! Well, this is my first post after watching CPF for a little while...and I actually can answer a question! Well, in my case at least.

I'm really looking forward to a CR123 body for the L2T because of the L2T's clicky tailcap. I really like the P1, but I rather prefer clickie switches to twisty ones. While there is no clicky P1 (and honestly I can't really see why Fenix would make one), a L2T with a CR123 body and tailcap makes for the perfect subsitute. Also, an additional effect of that is two-stage output that works well for my silly brain.

Now, I'm not sure if there are other small, one-cell CR123 flashlights with clickies and LuxIIIs for around the price of an L2T and body (80.00?), but if there are I would dearly love to hear about them! :)

Embarking on the path of flashiholism,

- Sable

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumbee1 said:
Any updates on this? I am very interested in a CR123 tube for my L2T.
Hello Lumbee1, you can find more info in the main thread.
Sable, welcome to CPF :wave:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
22hornet said:
Hello,
I may be missing something, but why not a P1 instead of the L2T with the short 1 CR123A body?
The P1 and theL2T are both rated at 55 lumen and the throw is equal.

Sable answered your question well. With the CR123 body on an L2T, you get serious runtime (on low) and have similar output to a P1 if you need it.

Welcome to CPF Sable! :wave: