bFlex - available NOW...

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Basically an nFlex but with new firmware. It comes with low voltage warning (great for rechargeable batteries) and with user configurable UI choice (UIF or UIP).

In fact bFlex and maxFlex both share the same firmware except it is 'tuned' for the current capability of the specific driver.

bFlex is 1" in diameter, can be configured to have a 350, 500, 750 or 1000mA max output.

Max input voltage is 25V, max output voltage is 16V.

Here's a couple of pics, top & bottom.

bflext.jpg

bflexb.jpg

I have a small number of production boards on hand and will have more in about 1 1/2 weeks.

cheers,
george.

Last edited:

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: bFlex - available real soon now...

Great news! Very nice pictures too! :twothumbs

flex76italy

Enlightened

Wow Giorgio,

finally, what I want! :bow: :goodjob: :clap:

jtice

Flashaholic

ah very nice, the nflex has went on quite a diet :D

~John

StanTeate

Enlightened

Nice! Already have a use for these! Is soon closer to Halloween or ThanksGiving?

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks guys!

bFlex should be ready for volume sale at the beginning of next week. I have 7 of the first 10 units available right now.

I need to update my website to add in the bFlex info. I spent last night testing maxFlex drivers and updating its section of my website.

There's also a review of a bFlex prototype by wquiles here

cheers,
george.

olephart

Newly Enlightened

Some help, please.

I would like to run 2 5W (6.2 Vf) leds in series with the bFlex. I will have a power supply that does not sag below 12 volts and I intend to use the 700 ma table.

I have studied the nFlex information and performed the calculations for input current provided on the site. Unless I'm doing something wrong, it looks like input current would be about 1750 mw and the nFlex allows 2250 ma.

Did I flub the calculations or can I use the bFlex in the above scenario?

Thanks

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast

olephart said:
Some help, please.

I would like to run 2 5W (6.2 Vf) leds in series with the bFlex. I will have a power supply that does not sag below 12 volts and I intend to use the 700 ma table.

I have studied the nFlex information and performed the calculations for input current provided on the site. Unless I'm doing something wrong, it looks like input current would be about 1750 mw and the nFlex allows 2250 ma.

Did I flub the calculations or can I use the bFlex in the above scenario?

Thanks

With 2 series LuxV - 2 x 6.2V (from you Vf figure) = 12.4V you will need at least 14V as the input to keep bFlex in regulation (buck/step down converter). 12.4 of LuxV (2 in series) at 0.7A = 8.7W.

bFlex/nFlex can drive up to 1A output (or 750 on the 750mA configured current output). Being a buck converter, input current will be less than output current until it goes out of regulation and then output current and input current will drop until the switcher/driver cuts out completely.

Not sure where you figure nFlex allows 2250mA at the input - that's not anything I wrote (that I know of)...

So, if we assume we have (say) 16V as the input and 12.4 of LuxV at 750mA at the output. Output power is 12.4 x 0.75 = 9.3W. If we take 90% as the efficiency, then input power will be 9.3/0.9 = 10.33W. With 16V at the input the input current will be 10.33/16 = 0.65A.

cheers,
george.

olephart

Newly Enlightened

Thank you, George.

As you know I am rather challenged by electrical details. I remember when they invented the transistor and I gave up trying to understand that stuff.

I think you said I won't blow anything up if I keep the voltage over 15V. Can I get a yes or no on that?

Thanks.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

15V will work just fine with no problems, actually you can go higher on the voltage if your looking around at different power supplies, Max input voltage is 25V with the bFlex :)

Later
Kelly

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for answering Kelly :twothumbs

Putting things simply (for a buck converter):
bFlex and nFlex can run up to 25V at the input. If the input voltage drops within about 1V above the Vf (at the designated current) the driver will go out of regulation and the output current will start to drop (as will the input current).

So, with a buck converter it won't cook/die at low voltage (the LED will just dim/go out) and at higher input voltage the buck converter will draw less current. As long as you don't exceed the converters max input voltage you're safe.

cheers,
george.

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I've beaten on the firmware and a couple of others have beaten on the firmware and even Darell has beaten on the firmware and it hasn't cracked open so I'm calling it COOKED :)

So, I officially open bFlex to ordering/shipping. I'll update my website later tonight with info etc.

bFlex drivers will be priced as per nFlex - $25 each.

I have 7 built units on hand and more to follow by the end of this week.

cheers,
george.

olephart

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the patience and explanations. Email sent to order one.

Tritium

Enlightened
E-mail sent.
PP cash sent.
E-mail sent per your instructions
with order details and shipping address.

Thurmond

Last edited: