The Lamda solitiare drop in module, my observations....

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well got my two soli plugin's from Lamda today. I mounted one to a NOS gift box soli approx 12yr's old and brand new one.

I didn't like it at first now that it's dark and I could compare more with all my pocket light's (ARC, Peak mattie ultra and shasta ultra, sonic's and E-bay clone's) In general I really like it, it's brighter then all but the ARC
and my tint's anyway are very white. It's so tiny I didn't think he sent one
because I didn't look inside the container! (which BTW was a great packing job, he put's them inside a short piece of PVC tubing secured on both ends with packing peanut's, then into a nice little ziplock bag and two bubble bag
envolopes. you probably can jump on it and not damage it)

One thing i expected, being a hopeless soli lover/modder, was that the old soli's have a different parboic curve then new ones and knew the beam would be different. The older soli's just a short twist to focus a great hot spot with decent spill. No fiddling to find a good setting. For less spot and more spill just twist some more.
The new one need's a few more rotations get a similar beam, and lose a donut it has at first twist. But both perform great and I am pretty pleased.(which takes a good bit since I love 5mm pocket lights and have a few very good ones.)
It does react like a maglite (surprise) but none of the blotchy
beam artifacts other then two rings far outside the spill on "bigger" MM's and C/D cells. focusing it really just makes your spill just wider.

Nit picks? a few. It does not screw all the way down, particularly the new one,(the reflector shank is longer on these) and though I know lamda went with a 3mm for an "instant" dropin because the soli reflector is such a pain to get out, i still would love to see a 5mm SMJLED in one since in my soli modding experience the soli flector' is a great match for a fiver.
Works gret with L92' Liths, alki's and nimh's and the lith up's the brightness to a noticable degree.

for those needing a good KC light and esp those that already have a solitaire this plugin is i think this is a 5 star deal at 12$'s for a solid "host" (unlike a Ebay clone) and esp recommend it to those with older soli's not wanting to buy a new KC LED Light. good stuff. VDG

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
It really does fit a niche, which is hard pressed to do in the 1xAAA format these days. liking it more and more. Another thing is the hot spot is pretty intense for a pocket light and can (again unlike a mini mag) can be made to different intensity by focusing w/o the beam going to heck.
I know it won't work but am gonna try it with some reflectors i have customized for 5mm LED's just to see. And also remove the len's, the worst
offender in a soli, makes a huge difference. Kinda wished they made a UCL for soli's. VDG

Last edited: