Coleman Widebeams

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone experience with any of these:
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/subcategory.asp?CategoryID=1118

There are 1W LED flashlights and headlamps in 2D and 2AA. Also incans, and incan-LED hybrids. But, I can't find any of these at the local stores.

The Widebeam looks like a concept original to Coleman.

I've had fairly good luck with Coleman lights in the past. Quality seemed similar to upper-end Ray-O-Vac and Eveready products.

LEDMaster2003_V2

Newly Enlightened
I have one. As chesterqw mentioned, if you're looking for throw, look elsewhere. It's more of a dog-walker light. Got mine at Wal-Mart a while ago.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got one coming through Marlboro (from the "Miles" program). It looks like the 4D latern style light on that linked page. I'll let you all know how how it is, when I get it.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got the 4D one from Marlboro as well. :) Wish they had better items for thier fairwell catalog. :(

Anyway, the light is plastic, so quality is not comparable to many of the more expensive metal lights that are popular here. 'Rayovac-ish' quality is about right, so it's not horrible or cheap or anything. The widebeam is very splotchy; dark and bright spots all over the beam pattern. I'm not calling it ugly (but I'm thinking it :grin2: ). I tried it with an EverLED (side emitter) and it was still there. It would probably be better with a lambertian, but I don't have one. :( BTW, it's backward (negative to bulb tip) polarity. That's if you follow the little pictures, which is easy to ignore. The battery compartment allows you to easily reverse the direction of the batteries and still make a closed circuit, but I'm not sure what affect that would have on the fluorecent U-tube. One button to click through the three options including off. Personally I think the widebeam is a bit gimicky and don't find it all that useful. If I wanted to cover a wider area, I'd just go with the U-tube, which I actually like. Of course I've only tried it indoors, so maybe someone with a big yard can test it out. Hope the info helps, feel free to ask questions. :)

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sinjz said:
I've got the 4D one from Marlboro as well...'Rayovac-ish' quality is about right, so it's not horrible or cheap or anything...The widebeam is very splotchy; dark and bright spots all over the beam pattern...Personally I think the widebeam is a bit gimicky and don't find it all that useful...Hope the info helps, feel free to ask questions. :)

Thanks a lot Sinjz.

This exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sinjz said:
I've got the 4D one from Marlboro as well. :) Wish they had better items for thier fairwell catalog. :(

Yeah, you'd think they'd go all out and give the best stuff last, along with the best deals on that best stuff! I didn't have too many miles this time, anyway. I had around 3300. The other item I got was the Swiss Army watch, which I'll probably just sell, since I don't wear a watch. There used to be a homeless guy that slept in the parking lot of my work, but the police chased him out last year. But for the previous three catalogs, I had been buying Miles from him and pretty much got everything I wanted. I ordered the maximum of 10 items during the last three catalogs, because of him. Actually, it was the previous 3 catalogs before the last two. Anyway, three catalogs ago, I got 14,000 miles worth of stuff! I only got 2 items this time. If I had enough miles, though, I'd have gotten the rolling duffle bag and the jacket, too.

Fortunately, I don't even smoke, anymore (quit 5 years ago). What else did you get, Sinjz?

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
ringzero said:
Thanks a lot Sinjz.

This exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

The way you chopped up my post, it looks like you're saying I'm too wordy. :mecry: grin2:

Trashman said:
Yeah, you'd think they'd go all out and give the best stuff last, along with the best deals on that best stuff! I didn't have too many miles this time, anyway. I had around 3300. The other item I got was the Swiss Army watch, which I'll probably just sell, since I don't wear a watch. There used to be a homeless guy that slept in the parking lot of my work, but the police chased him out last year. But for the previous three catalogs, I had been buying Miles from him and pretty much got everything I wanted. I ordered the maximum of 10 items during the last three catalogs, because of him. Actually, it was the previous 3 catalogs before the last two. Anyway, three catalogs ago, I got 14,000 miles worth of stuff! I only got 2 items this time. If I had enough miles, though, I'd have gotten the rolling duffle bag and the jacket, too.

Fortunately, I don't even smoke, anymore (quit 5 years ago). What else did you get, Sinjz?

I've never gotten nearly as many points as it sounds like you have. 10 items per catalog, I wish! :) You're probably one of those guys that got the pool tables in the early days. :D My limited miles forced me to settle for a shirt or an ocasional lighter. I was able to get a watch or two from them in the past, but I don't wear them either. Tell me how much you get for yours cause I want to sell mine too. :) Most of my miles comes from my brother's father-in-law and a friend that doesn't bother with this stuff. :D I've also spent a few bucks for some extra miles. However this year, I mostly used the miles I saved up from years past. I didn't order anything last year at all. I wanted the cow hide work gloves, but it just didn't seem like it was worth the handling charges. This year I got the widebeam flashlight, the rolling duffle bag and a sweashirt (mainly cause it was the closest match to my remaining miles).

DUDE, I'd do a beamshot for you, but I don't have a digital camera anymore. :(

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sinjz, that's funny, I wanted cow hide work gloves last year, too, but ended up not sending for anything. In the old days when they had the pool table, I didn't collect miles. I just gave them away. I didn't smoke back then, so I wasn't really hip to the whole miles thing. There were a few catalogs where I got all the best stuff, though. I got that Garmin Etrex a few years ago for $25 plus miles. I sold it for $84 on ebay. The last Swiss Army watch I got from Marlboro (I think I've gotten 4 of them, previously) was the red one. I sold that one here for $40. I'm sure I could have gotten a little more, but I just wanted to get some cash and give a good deal before the batteries went dead. If I sell this one, I'll probably put it up for $45-50. Who knows, I might just keep it. The shipping for the two items I got from this catalog cost me like 24 bucks! I think it was $24 for 3000+ miles. Same price for 10 items. sheesh. It worked out good a few catalogs ago, though, when they had the wooden picnic table and benches. Those things were heavy, and the shipping was still the same, not to mention, I got a bunch of other stuff. I ended up selling the table and bench (one bench got lost in the mail and they refunded the miles) in the recycler for $60. They, once, accidently sent me two of the premium items I sent for, which was the Advent wireless speakers. That was a stroke of luck. Even better, was that after sending me the first one, they send me a "We're Sorry" notice in the mail, saying that they wanted to appologize for not delivering my speakers for such a long time (which they already had) and to make it up to me they gave me a coupon for a free carton or two! They send me a $25 Mastercard gift card last year (or earlier this year) that didn't work the first time I tried it, so they called me up and said they saw the card was rejected and they gave me an addition $10 on it! Marlboro is pretty good to their customers. I wonder what they'd do if they found out I quit smoking 5 years ago? Heh heh.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 4d widebeam arrived today. I like it a lot. The beam isn't very pretty, but it is wide. The flourescent light on the bottom is great, too. I did get it, mostly, for free, so I guess that helps with my satisfaction, but I think I'd like it even if I had bought it. The flourescent light would make a good camp light to eat chilli under. Chilli served in the very nice, set of four, ceramic chilli bowls that they sent me as a free bonus gift!

Did you get the free chilli bowls, too, Sinjz?

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Trashman. Sorry, I'm not on CPF as much as I use to be and missed this thread the last couple of times around. I actually searched for it before I saw your replies. :)

No, I didn't get any nice chili bowls! :( I didn't get a $25 MasterCard gift card. :mad: I've never gotten a bonus free premium item either! :rant: I've also never gotten nice BBQ utensils or nice wooden chili spoons, like my friend has. I've only gotten crappy ash trays and a couple a decks of playing cards. Not fair! :mercy: I might have gotten a horseshoe keyfob years ago. Wanna trade? :D Do you use those coupons they keep sending you? I don't and I wonder if that's why I get the second rate 'gifts'. :(

~$24 for a couple of crappy items. Welcome to my world. :sigh: That's the way it is for those of us who can't afford ten items per catalog. Notice how they stagger the handling fees. If all you wanted was a crappy shirt or lighter, you'd still have to pay $10-15 in S&H. Might as well just buy it from a store. :ohgeez: It was only a good deal for those who had a boatload of miles to spend.

So, have you used the widebeam outside yet? I tried it off my balcony, but it couldn't do anything among the ambient light. Do you actually see yourself using the widebeam anytime instead of just switching over to the more energy efficient U-tube? If you come up with a decent mod for it, let me know. :)

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, I've never used the coupons. I don't smoke, anymore. Maybe, they're giving me the big gifts because I've cashed in major amounts of miles. That has to be it. The only reason I had the mega amounts of miles is because I used to buy them from a homeless guy who would find them all day long while on his daily route searching for cans and bottles. I used to find quite a bit, too, though, because I used to bike around 20 miles a day and I'd stop for every one. Still, though, I got most of them from the homeless guy. Anybody ever watch a NASCAR car race? Marlboro always send me tickets to the races at the California Speedway, every year, it seems, but I've never attended. They probably send those because I live only 30 miles away.

Having your question in mind, about me trying the light outside, I did that late last night, so I could reply (though, I didn't reply last night). Well, it's not super bright, but it is white. Definitely, better than 3D Mag. Of course this is a 4D light, but I haven't seen a 4D Mag perform to compare it with. I still like it. The incan is definitely more affective for medium range. The flourescent tube is great for close.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sinjz said:
Did ringzero ever pick one of these up?

No I didn't. After reading your description of the Widebeams being gimmicky, and producing blotchy, spotty beams, I steered clear of them.

Thanks again.

Blacklight

Enlightened
The 1 watt LED version of the widebeam actually has a very uniform light patern, kind of like a rectangle on its side.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my friends told me tonight he picked up one of the Marlboro widebeams for me. I guess I'm going to have two of them, now.

But now, for the OT reason I'm posting here.... Marlboro has topped themselves bigtime! I got a thing in the mail to attend an event call "Marlboro Hot Laps." Estimated retail value....$500! What is it? It's me and a friend going down to the California Speedway next month and riding along (one at a time) with a professional driver in three different vehicles on three different tracks. A Panoz GTS (high excelleration, super agile handling...), a street Mustang, which I think the driver will actually take us for a DRIFTING ride in! No kidding, the mailing said about the Mustang ride that the drivers take the turns sliding sideways! Then, there's the IROC car...the mailing said "130mph...inches from the wall." Whoohoo! I called up and they'll be Fedexing me the details and stuff. Now, I just have to get off from work....it's on a Monday. They only had two days available, Monday and Wednesday. I asked if they had a weekend, and the guy said that there's 88,000 people for them to schedule (I'm guessing he means nation wide...I can't imagine they'd be able to get through 88,000 people at one race track) and that Monday and Tuesday was all that was available.

I bet when I'm done riding, I'll have a widebeam right on my face! :grin2:

Last edited: