Identifying Surefire L2 versions.

jcoldwater

Newly Enlightened
Hey all

I'm looking into buying an L2. Now, I'm aware that there are different versions but I need to know how to identify 1 from 3. Can any one help me here?

EV_007

Enlightened
Surefire_L2_images.jpg

Newer rounded body version.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
To my knowledge Gen 1 had 4 flat sides and a smaller heat sink. Gen2 went to a bigger heat sink/round side body (not sure which one came first, its either one or the other), and Gen 3 has 3 rounded sides and a larger heat sink.

w56148640.jpg

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I know there are only two body types and two head types.

First body had four flat sides and a short head/bezel. Then they changed the body which had three rounded areas where the printing is (see picture in above post) but kept the original short head/bezel. The last change was when they made the head/bezel slightly longer, this is the current model, again, as in the picture.

So three models;

square body/short head
round body/short head
round body/longer head

I have the first two models.

That's more or less it.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
JasonC8301 said:
To my knowledge Gen 1 had 4 flat sides and a smaller heat sink. Gen2 went to a bigger heat sink/round side body (not sure which one came first, its either one or the other), and Gen 3 has 3 rounded sides and a larger heat sink.

w56148640.jpg

Well, this proves me wrong......thats the first time I see a combination of older body/longer head.....I have the newer body/short head......so what came first??....I thought I had it worked out.....

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to know a few things about the L2 as well. On flashlightreviews.com it shows a pitiful runtime on high of about 30-40mins before it starts rapidly dropping. Now I realize thats a straight turn-it-on-and-let-it-run-until-it-dies test. Do people find they get more runtime on high when its intermittant usage? How similar is it to the L4 as far as the beam-the same, tighter, or more floody?

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think there are any internal differences. The body is the same, minus the four flat sides vs three rounded sides. It is just a body. The only difference on the shorter head/longer head is the heat sink.

The L2 draw at the cells is ~1.5 amps. This is pushing the LuxV hard, harder than the L4. This might mean more output (depends on Lux lottery though) but at the addition of some length and shortened LED life.

The beam is the same if not similar; wide flood between the L2 and L4.

Unless you can find a McGizmo 2 stage tailcap, or get another source for a two stage tailcap, the L4 is only one brightness. The L2 is designed to be used as a utility light on normal mode with short bursts on high mode.

Read this thread for the runtime test I did on a friends L2. I think heat kicks the light down before the cells give up. Draw yuor own conclusions. I would say it gets more run time on high when used intermittenly.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only addition I can add is that the older body makes a buzzing noise on low which is quite noticeable and annoying, whereas the new body is much quieter, you have to concentrate to "just" hear it. There must be some differences in electronics. I think that customers complained about the noise on the original so they fixed the problem on the new one.....just a guess.

Size15's

Flashaholic
cernobila said:
The only addition I can add is that the older body makes a buzzing noise on low which is quite noticeable and annoying, whereas the new body is much quieter, you have to concentrate to "just" hear it. There must be some differences in electronics. I think that customers complained about the noise on the original so they fixed the problem on the new one.....just a guess.

There is variation in the buzz - there has been no change to the L2's electronics whilst the body style has changed, and the bezel has increased in mass for better thermal management.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having taken all the above into consideration.....my wife still prefers the original model because it is shorter and feels lighter and thinner in her hand.....

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I was actually trying to help a new member answer some questions about the 14670 rechargeable solution....so if anyone knows it would be great. I guessed that high was about 2A and low 1A