Surefire L1 old versus new

sbebenelli

Enlightened
I'm thinking of buying the L1. I know all about the newest style with the tight squarish beam. I ran across this version that was the one before the newest and I know it's more flood. I was wondering if the runtime is about the same between the two and what your thoughts are comparing the two. Typically how was the tint of the older style?

Is low to low for checking on a baby in the middle of the night?

This is the one I'm looking at....

Last edited:

adnj

Enlightened
I have one. It works well BUT I prefer to use my Inova X1. The runtimes are supposed to be about the same but be I'm sure there is a definitive answer on that. The tint that I have is noticeably purple.

For checking on the baby, just point the light toward the ceiling.

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my new style L1, I have the U2 as well and can't decide which one I like better. I HIGHLY recommend the L1...

sbebenelli

Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
I love my new style L1, I have the U2 as well and can't decide which one I like better. I HIGHLY recommend the L1...

What makes the L1 stand out so much for you? Especially compared to the U2?

prof

Enlightened
For checking on baby, try an arc. It's just a hare on the bright side, really--but a fingertip over the led will help.

I do this every night.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
The low on an older L1 is very low, fine for checking on baby.

As for tint, you can't expect all examples of the same model to have a comparable tint. My older L1 has a very white tint, FWIW.

indycrucible

Newly Enlightened
I use a new style L1 with an F04 beamshaper on it to check on my daughter every night. The F04 makes a huge difference, I tried it because of the comments on CPF, and they were right on the money. Without the F04 it has throw and with it, it has a nice flood.

ja10

Enlightened
I have a new L1 with an F04 beamshaper. The light is perfect for not disturbing those who are sleeping. For me, this is a great "walking around the house" light. It's bright enough on high to see what's going on in a room, and it's perfect on low so you don't hurt your eyes or wake up others. The runtime is long enough too so if you have power outage and want to use it as a nightlight, it'll run forever on low.

The only downside is that you can't turn the new L1 into a Milky L1 without buying the old head first.

Flashdark

Enlightened
sbebenelli,

Runtimes:

I am currently doing an evaluation of the L1 (old) vs. the L1 (new) since I couldn't find enough info about this anywhere else. So far, I have only done runtime tests on "low" with the following results:

The L1 (old) ran in "low" continuously (with occasional 1-2 second bursts to "hi" just to see if it still worked) for 208 hours. It fell to "moon-mode" (very dim) at about 160 hours, but the "hi" mode continued to work (albeit contankerously) until the 197-hour point. The L1 (old) worked normally in all respects to the 153-hour point, moon mode at 160 hours, "hi" mode until 197 hours, 208 hours to "death".

The L1 (new) ran in "low" continuously (with occasional 1-2 second burts to "hi" just to see if it still worked) for 168-176 hours. It fell to "moon-mode" (very dim) at about 118 hours, but the "hi" mode continued to work until the 118 hour point. (Apparently, this "last gasp" effort to "hi" at 118 hours CAUSED the fall to "moon-mode"). The L1 (new) worked normally in all respects to the 90 hour point, moon mode at 118 hours, "hi" mode until 118 hours, 168-176 hours to "death". (I was asleep when it died in the night sometime!) [It began to ease down to moon mode at 90 hours but was very subtle. It became more obvious at 102 hours, and was fully engaged in moon mode at 118 hours.]

These preliminary numbers are impressive, and my tests continue. This is merely a first report to your post. I have a lot of testing to do. The main reason that I was interested in the L1 (new) as an EDC was the potential runtime on one battery with the newly added "distance capability", but I had no idea that it would run THIS long. I feel that it is basically a useless light without the F04 beamshaper on the front of it for short-range flood, but if I am going to EDC a light, it must also have SOME distance potential. This one does.

Beam Quality:

With respect to the "new" L1-WH, the TIR optic throws a beam of light that is like shinning a light down a pipe, literally. It is ALL focused intensity. It IS smooth and "square" in shape (the nature of this particular Luxeon III emitter). It DOES have a very thin, distant, and dim halo ring some distance from the core shaft of light, but this is pretty much useless and mildly irritating. I think that "useless artifact" describes the effect. You would have to back this light out to almost double the distance of the "old" L1 from any piece of paper you were trying to read or the intensity of the beam would burn the back of your retinas out (even WITH an F04 on the front of it to soften things). The old L1 had a hotspot but absolutely nothing to compare with the new one.

The effect of the hotspot (or beam, since the total beam is nothing BUT a hotspot) at 6-12' can only be described as "searing". Truly, this light is virtually useless without an F04 to soften things up and flood them out. HOWEVER, having said this, IF you are going for DISTANCE with the minimum power and battery drain, this is the light. It's 22 lumens will slightly out-throw the 65-lumen "focused and reflectored" E2e. WITH an F04, it floods out to about the same width as an "old" L1, albeit now with a far more noticeable hotspot, especially in "low", but also in "high". Once I got use to it, I actually preferred it, because, at heart, I really did want more intensity in both "low" and "high", as well as the distance capability, and the more focused hotspot magnifies the effect of the lumen increase. With an F04, this is a better light than the "old" L1, despite all of the drawbacks. Without it, it is far too limiting. With the F04, I recommend it. Without the F04, I do NOT.

After I posted this, I realized that I did not address one of your questions:

L1 Beam Comparison:

L1 "old": Purple tint, wide variation in tint due to the "luxeon lottery", power is a bit too low in "low" position", about like the old KL-1 head in "high". All flood with a mild hotspot. .7 lumens in "low", 15 lumens in "high".

L1-"new": Much better consistency in beam tint and power. Pencil beam quality, about like shinning a light down a 6" pipe. All throw, no flood. F04 required for usable light. Much "whiter" color. Good enough to be my primary EDC. 1.1 lumens in "low", 22 lumens in "high" and the increase in power is very noticable in "low", also obvious in "high". The increase in power seems to be welcomed by all. I know it is by me.

Hope this Helps,
Flashdark sends.

Last edited:

The Porcupine

Enlightened
Yes indeed! Great work, Flashdark!
I have an L1 (new version) too. Even though I have other "EDC-able" lights, I have used the L1 nearly every day since I got it. I have the F04 beamshaper as well and it's great, but for some reason I almost never use it!:)

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an L1 with both an old and new head. I preferred to use the new head with the F04 beamshaper- I agree with the other posts that with the F04 you have a wonderful light with incredible runtimes. Low is quite low; I used it to check on m sleeping kids now and then.

sbebenelli

Enlightened
I appreciate all the replies. I think I'll go with the new version as soon as I can run across one at a decent buy. Thanks again.

thelightdude

Newly Enlightened
I appreciate the info also.
I have both the new and old model L1.
I had no idea the runtime on the old model was this long.

I tend to use the new model more as I bought it with a beamshaper. This makes it either wide beam or excellent throw.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you can go wrong with an L1 with a beamshaper. Having throw or flood
availible just by slipping a cover on or off is very nice. Surefire also makes red and
blue filter's for it as well. Another option that I use is a Delrin tailguard and gripring
from Oregonshooter. Also it's built like a tank!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashdark, I think something's missing. ;)

Sorry I haven't gotten that draft back to you yet... has it changed at all or may I forward my comments back to you? Seems a good time to publish the results, heh heh. :naughty:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, almost forgot: at the end of the old-style L1 run, SureFire began installing high dome emitters in those lights, which eliminated the purple tint and boosted the throw quite a bit. I don't think they were made for very long before the new style came out, but you might find a couple floating around here and there in retailer stock.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
JNewell said:
Is there any easy way to tell which is which without making a side by side comparison?

I assume you mean the old-old low dome purple-tinted version vs. the new-old high dome white version? There is one way... and this may not be 100% accurate, but it has seemed to work in all the cases I've seen... look for the lanyard attachment on the tailcap: the old-old L1 didn't come with that item, SureFire sold it as a $10 accessory; the new-old version came with a lanyard in the box and the lanyard attachment already on the tailcap... in my experience, the ones with the lanyard attachment are high domes. :)