Two years of waiting - Finally a blackout

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have always admired scouts and the idea of being ready for everything so I always carry a raincoat in my backpack, which is very fun because you can stand in the rain and look at everyone who thinks "It's warm inside, it's warm in the bus, I'm not going to be outside today" and therefore don't prepare for anything. The flashlight part I don't have to go into for you guys and gals...
Electric power is used for just about everything so I have one UPS and two 12->230 V inverters with several batteries for blackouts. Now all I needed to do was to wait for a blackout to occur...

and so it happened... Yesterday, at 9.30 PM, power went out and everything became black. Because I'm not such a good flashaholic, I didn't had a flashlight in my hand so I had to lean forward and grab one on my living-room table.
Luckily, my metal-halide roof light was cold at that point, so I ran out to the kitchen and picked up a 12 V SLA battery and an inverter. My hands where shaking when i connected it in the light from my 9AN because I needed to hurry before it ended as blackouts are normally short lived here in Sweden.
Squaaaack... The bulb ignited when I connected it and started to run up but I couldn't stand there waiting for it go become hot. I grabbed all the flashlights I could carry in my pockets and ran outside. Some of my neighbors had already lit candles and others where asking for matches. I asked everyone if anyone needed a flashlight but no one dared to say yes (It's very "unswedish" to ask for things). I continued outside to the street to see if everyone where ok and to finally have some "real" use for my flashlights.
People where trying to illuminate their way forward with cell phones and crappy flashlights or decant ones with old drained batteries. I stood there and watched my metal-halide lighting up the street outside while everything else was black. Quite a sight.
I looked down the street and saw a lot of people wonder what happened. As there where no cars outside, I took the opportunity to test my flashlights. Unfortunately for me, there was a full moon so I couldn't do any fun throw tests. As no one there either needed to borrow a flashlight, I walked back to my appetent and my neighbors. There where now more candles in their windows and some of them had found their flashlights as well. I invited them in to my appetent if anyone found it too dark in theirs and some wanted to see what on earth I had planed for. They found it very amusing that someone spent so much time and money for "emergencies" like a blackout. They thought I was crazy, which they probably where suspecting all along, but now it was confirmed. It probably lowered my chances to score with my new beautiful neighbor to just about zero, but it was worth it.
I changed out some flashlights to try out other ones, lend one to a friend and changed batteries in all non-rechargeable ones I had and went out again to give them a shot as well. Down the street, I talked to some people wonder what on earth I had in my appetent. We talked a bit and compared our flashlights.

After about 20 minutes, power was back again and the fun for me and inconvenience for the others ended.

Lessons learned:
1. Have all your lights run on UPSes, that way the effect will be more noticeable.
2. Make sure to have 10 loaner lights to hand out to friends and neighbors.
3. Make sure to have 10 or more disposable lighters at home to hand out to friends and neighbors.

Last edited:

WNG

Enlightened
Nice story!

Reminds me of the time I was studying for final exams during my college years. It was the middle of winter. We lost power and the neighborhood was plunged in darkness.
A major inconvenience for me. Luckily, I had a 12V car battery from an unused car, trickle charging indoors. With Maglites (pre-LED years) in hand, I wired up some 12V halogen desklamps in several rooms, and my condo was lit up like normally. People outside kept wondering why only my unit had electricity. Very funny! The glow of light from my unit was very noticeable compared to the enveloping darkness. I noted that it does draw some unwanted attention.

My area is plagued by power failures, mostly due to a faulty transformer feeding several streets. Every 2-3 weeks, we are subjected to 3-8 hours of no electricity. It may sound like heaven to a flashaholic, but it becomes a real pain when power is required, or when food spoils, equipment destroyed. Dealing with our utility company (NSTAR) is also a PITA. Past year, they caused quite a stir for improper wiring of underground feeds throughout Boston. Dogs were killed instantly via electrocution when they stepped on manhole covers, touched lampposts, around downtown Boston.
So, it is fortunate to have such a stable electricity service. You'd think they can get it right here in the 'states.
:p

After laying yards of speaker wire to power my lights during my incident, your #1 suggestion makes logical sense.
With compact fluorescents, even a UPS of moderate size can light an entire house. I bet it wouldn't be too hard to mod the main electrical box to switch from the utility feed to your own power source, be it generator, UPS, or inverter with a bank of deep cycle lead acid batteries.
At least you and your family can be conveniently lit up, and reserve your flashlights to enjoy the darkness outside.
:)

Julian Holtz

Enlightened
winny said:
Because I'm not such a good flashaholic, I didn't had a flashlight in my hand so I had to lean forward and grab one on my living-room table.

Gotta love this one:grin2:

Good story!

Greetings,

Julez

Illum

Flashaholic
winny said:
Lessons learned:
1. Have all your lights run on UPSes, that way the effect will be more noticeable.
2. Make sure to have 10 loaner lights to hand out to friends and neighbors.
3. Make sure to have 10 or more disposable lighters at home to hand out to friends and neighbors.

4. Remember to position your lights that run on UPSes near the windows for a dramatic effect
5. Make sure to have 4 more lights for yourself, two in hand two in pocket

cheers:grin2:

schrenz

Enlightened
WNG said:
My area is plagued by power failures, mostly due to a faulty transformer feeding several streets. Every 2-3 weeks, we are subjected to 3-8 hours of no electricity. It may sound like heaven to a flashaholic, but it becomes a real pain when power is required, or when food spoils, equipment destroyed....
but it sounds like heaven for me :laughing: , the only power-failure we had in the last 5 years had been at lunch-time :rant: , a neighbour cut the main-cable, while doing self-improvement with a dredger :ohgeez: .

@Winny:The Skandinavian's calmness is always impressing :laughing:

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live in a new area and the power has gone out twice in five years both times for only a short period of time.

We are strange arent we?

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Winny,

It sounds like you had a lot of fun. Whatever doubts your neighbors had of your strange flashlight behavior has now been totally erased. :)

Tom

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hahaha, great story. I think the longest blackout I've ever been in was about 30 minutes long, and that was back in 1983. No power outages even after the 6.1 earthquake in Northridge in 1994, and I was very close to the epicenter.

Having said that, I recently ordered a number of Koehler Brightstar lights from briteguy.com. Had to pony up the extra 50 cents for the waterproof lights rated for use in explosive environments... you know... in case of a natural gas leak after a middle-of-the-night earthquake. :)

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illum_the_nation said:
4. Remember to position your lights that run on UPSes near the windows for a dramatic effect
5. Make sure to have 4 more lights for yourself, two in hand two in pocket

4. Good one!
5. Yes, or new pants with more and bigger pockets. I'm also thinking about making a jacket with lots of holders for various flashlights. Would it look strange to have two 3D inside your jacket? :thinking:

Concept said:
We are strange arent we?

I know what you mean. I get a creepy feeling myself on those occasions when I find myself with a flashlight in my hand and can't tell how it got there.

scott.cr said:
Having said that, I recently ordered a number of Koehler Brightstar lights from briteguy.com. Had to pony up the extra 50 cents for the waterproof lights rated for use in explosive environments... you know... in case of a natural gas leak after a middle-of-the-night earthquake. :)

Now that's what I call a precaution!

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
winny said:
Now that's what I call a precaution!

Actually, during the 1994 Northridge earthquake (infamous here in California) my parents' water heater tore away from the wall and its gas line broke, filling the garage with natural gas.

This happened to several houses in that neighborhood, even though the water heaters were strapped in place according to California building code. Fortunately the electrical power also went out, so no one person could blow up their own house and start a chain reaction!

winny said:
I'm also thinking about making a jacket with lots of holders for various flashlights.

Try the Scott eVest!

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Julian Holtz said:
Gotta love this one:grin2:

Truly. :laughing:

*does a quick look around with his eyes without even moving head and spots a SL 1xAA, a Dorcy 1xAAA and a Tec-40.*

sick, man. just sick. :lolsign:

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jesus Christ time flies fast! I forgot to make an update the Thursday after the blackout and didn't think about it until now, only two months later.

Anyhow, the Thursday after the blackout, we had an scheduled study-visit at the local substation which I get my power from with the transmission and distribution-class I'm in (I'm an EE student). I did of course ask what had happened that caused the blackout and I learned that one of the two incoming supply lies which feed everything in that substation was taken out of operation for maintenance that day. That meant no redundancy during the maintenance. During the night, an RCD indicated an ground-fault and shut down everything immediately. By then, a couple of guys where woke up, or at least disturbed from their TV-watching when they called in everyone on duty in order to inspect the incoming line for any irregularities. Unlike other types of fault, you are not allowed to do anything when a ground-fault occurs before making sure that the line haven't fallen down or anything reaching it from the ground, just so that no kids are playing advanced hide-and-seek in the power line towers or testing their new modified water guns at power lines. That way you won't zap them again just to see if the RCD glitched or not.
Getting them there and inspecting the entire line took about 30 minutes, in which I had some serious fun with my flashlight and UPS, before they couldn't find any error and "flicked the switch again" - The fun was over for me.

Here are some pictures. Now, I do not live in Albania or the Sovjet Union, they had replaced the 40's control panel with a remote controlled one some time ago but it was still there and functioning as a visual display of the status. Also, my cell phone camera is seriously bad.

Here you can see the two incoming lines. The two down-pointing arrows represent the power flow into the substation.
Image121.jpg

The entire view.
Image125.jpg

Our guide, showing us some old-fashioned relays.
Image127.jpg

An overview of Gothenburg's grid.
Image134.jpg

Sixpointone

Enlightened
This story illustrates what we here at the CPF realize, and that is is always a good thing to have a Light nearby or with you.

Thanks for sharing.