Wild Chinook Salmon run pics!

mosport

Enlightened
Weather was nice today, so we decided to walk off yesterday's Thanksgiving dinner and watch the wild salmon running up the mouth of the Credit River. Drawing from headwaters 100kms to the north, the Credit feeds into Lake Ontario providing an urban watershed corridor for wildlife. During weekends in September the river banks are lined with people trying to catch a glimse of fish swimming upstream, it's nicer in October when the crowds go away and the leaves change colour to red, yellow and orange hues.

The viewing spot is a shallow rocky sanctuary, but a little further downstream angling is allowed. At nighttime it's unfortunate this location transforms into a poaching hotspot, glad that the MNR actively patrols this area to protect our natural resources. Some of the salmon measured as long your arm! In addition there's also trout, bass, pike and carp, just some of the 45 species inhabiting the waters.

Here's some of today's pics and local links:

Credit River Angler's Association and Credit Valley Conservation Authority

Salmon sanctuary and a Great Blue Heron Stalking....

Salmon spotted!

Thanks for lookin'

Derek

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Re: Wild Chinook Salmon run (pics!)

We enjoy salmon as well!! Indeed it is priceless to view them in nature on their journey, however it's also a valuable resource!

This is from a previously posted thread, but just yesterday we canned up 2 1/2 more cases of Silver (Coho) Salmon - we are blessed!

cy

Flashaholic

WOW... thanks for sharing!

mosport

Enlightened

:drool:

Nice haul Sigman, looks like you're well stocked and blessed with natural abundance indeed! There are stories of 35 LB salmon coming from the waters around here, but none today...

Agreed, the game fish are valuable resource with the Credit providing sustinance for generations dating back to the First Nation's inhabitants hundreds of years ago.

The local conservation authority, in partnership with volunteers and government, does an excellent job protecting the watershed. It's not only the poachers that threaten, but shoreline errosion, sedimentation and runoff contamination to name a few. Despite these challanges, hopefully these species will be around for future generations to enjoy.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

mosport said:
The local conservation authority, in partnership with volunteers and government, does an excellent job protecting the watershed. It's not only the poachers that threaten, but shoreline errosion, sedimentation and runoff contamination to name a few. Despite these challanges, hopefully these species will be around for future generations to enjoy.
Total agreement with this!! I like that attitude and that's what we need to promote!! Sounds like true conservation to me! :thumbsup:

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I ate salmon yesterday, let me get the pic...

EDIT: Here it is !
Grilled salmon a-la-bombelman !
salmon1.jpg

tracker870

Enlightened

Thanks for sharing the pics! I was on the Salmon River in Sept., Cohos & Kings with an occasional Steely. Too busy with the fly rod for pics.
Been on the Credit in past years, but off-season...