Maglight 6D LED Upgrade?

Iron Man

Newly Enlightened
I am sorry if this has been asked before but I did a search and could not find a anwser.

So here we go, I got the Maglight LED upgrade for my 3D, and I am very happy with it. Now I know the dont have a 6D LED upgrade, so my question is can I buy the 5D upgrade kit for my 6D mag? Or wil it cause damage or just burn out?

Thanks

The_virus

Enlightened
Iron Man: I e-mailed MagLite themselves a couple of weeks back and their official statement at that time was "There are no plans to expand the MagLED line at this time" or something to that effect.

So to upgrade a 6D you're going to have to go 3rd party or do-it-yourself (DIY). If you're curious enough to find my original post the topic is somewhere in this forum under a title something like "MagLite denies MagLED expansion"

Cheers

Mikeg23

Enlightened
Iron Man said:
Now I know the dont have a 6D LED upgrade, so my question is can I buy the 5D upgrade kit for my 6D mag? Or wil it cause damage or just burn out?

Thanks

I don't think Maglight has made a 5 cell LED either just 2, 3, and 4.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
You COULD always make a bolt/nut/washers spacer for two off the D cells and run a 4 cell M*gled.....

But I personally find even a 4D kind of big and clunky, and so have a dim but looooong running NiteIze PR Drop-in in my 4D, and don't have any bigger M*gs.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
But I personally find even a 4D kind of big and clunky, and so have a dim but looooong running NiteIze PR Drop-in in my 4D, and don't have any bigger M*gs.

Yep I really like my 2D now with the Mag LED drop in, but it would be hard to talk me into a 3D. Wouldn't be hard to get me to buy one just hard to get me to carry it.:laughing:

Iron Man

Newly Enlightened
Here the deal I carry the 6D in my Truck as mostly a weapon if I were to ever need it. I just wanted to give it better output and run time. And was hoping for a LED upgrade. If I were to ever need to for emergency lighting.

But I usally have a Inova T2 handy, so its not that big of a deal I guess.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put that Nite-Ize module in it for incredible run time.

That's what I plan to do to my beater 4D Mag... the new 4D I got I plan to make a custom light out of, probably just buying a head for it.

I don't however care about Lumens, long run time impresses me more. NIte Ize is really dim, nothing like MagLED I hear, but it will run for days.

Of course you want to have a light that will light up the whole street if necessary (100+ Lumens), but dim lights have their place too.

Iron Man

Newly Enlightened
I just cant belive that it has 6 count them 6Ds in it and its not all the bright. And finding a good LED for it is not all that easy. It make a good club thats for sure.

But my T3 blows this thing out of the water.

butcher_block

Newly Enlightened
6D is way to big now the 6C is what i have and i love it sept for one thing no led dropin
so im in the same boat i want a spot-flood 6 cell led dam it

Iron Man

Newly Enlightened
6C huh? I missed that one somewhere now I want one of those too! darn it

But yeah all we want is a spot-flood good out put 6 cell LED!

Iron Man

Newly Enlightened
I have heard of that. But for that amout I may as well get another T2 or somthing similar. My friend at work said he is going to just go buy a 4cell LED Maglight upgrade for his 6cell. I told him I dont think thats a good idea but he wont listen.

Any idea what will happen? I told him it would probaly burn out the LED

WIJLY

Newly Enlightened
my opinion is forget maglite . . they are too big and cumbersome. Find yuor self smaller lights that utilize Lithium CR 123 batteries . . much nicer, even AA batteries or Tri-AAA are not shabby either. Maglite in my opinion are only good for defence for rendering someone unconcious with a short swift bat to the head. i only use "pocket'able" flashlights

Mikeg23

Enlightened
Iron Man said:
I have heard of that. But for that amout I may as well get another T2 or somthing similar. My friend at work said he is going to just go buy a 4cell LED Maglight upgrade for his 6cell. I told him I dont think thats a good idea but he wont listen.

Any idea what will happen? I told him it would probaly burn out the LED

Well he could always use two dummy batteries maybe even make them out of something that is heavy and put them at the end you would use for striking. My personal opinion is you should just stick a collapsible baton or short bat in the truck.

wjb3

Newly Enlightened
Iron Man said:
But yeah all we want is a spot-flood good out put 6 cell LED!

I would recommend the EverLED WHITE LED, High Dome (Lambertian) ( http://www.brightguy.com/products/EverLED_Hight_Dome(Lambertian).php#0 ) which can be used from 1.5 to 9 volts and works with rechargeable batteries. I use the reverse polarity EverLED in several 4D floating lanterns (alkaline batteries) and one 4AA headlamp (eneloop rechargeable batteries). Maglite says rechargeable should not be used with its LED modules and will void the warranty.

If you want heavy and bright, look at the Elektrolumens Tesla-6 ( http://elektrolumens.com/Tesla-6/Tesla-6.html ). I want the 6C version for my birthday.

This sounds stupid, but how about 4D Mag LED module + 2 dummy batteries or 5 NiMH + a dummy battery?

You can buy Diamond brand LED drop ins rated for 2-6 cells, but they're not true 2-6 cell. They operate at reduced output w/ 2 cells, optimal output at 3 cells and >3 cells requires dummy batteries.

butcher_block

Newly Enlightened
WIJLY said:
my opinion is forget maglite . . they are too big and cumbersome. Find yuor self smaller lights that utilize Lithium CR 123 batteries . . much nicer, even AA batteries or Tri-AAA are not shabby either. Maglite in my opinion are only good for defence for rendering someone unconcious with a short swift bat to the head. i only use "pocket'able" flashlights
this is goingto come off as rude but its not ment to be
use in truck as light and weapon is what was said not daily carry
are you going to tell me a pocket light is going to beat a 6 cell mag as a blind and strike tool let me know how well you can brake an arm or leg with a AA or AAA light
i have 2 mini mags that are floaters in the cars and packs i have
everyone here can string me up for not having a light on me at all times:ohgeez:
lets see here in the house yep im good there out hiking sure i have one in my day pack and in the truck so when im away

so back to it if 3w is all i can get i guess thats going to have to do but a dropin 5w even if after 30 sec that would "dim" to something like the 3w magled would be great to me

Mikeg23

Enlightened
butcher_block said:
this is goingto come off as rude but its not ment to be
use in truck as light and weapon is what was said not daily carry
are you going to tell me a pocket light is going to beat a 6 cell mag as a blind and strike tool let me know how well you can brake an arm or leg with a AA or AAA light

The problem with you thinking is that a 6D maglight isn't really a good weapon either, it's unbalanced and cumbersome. Like I said earlier a baton or something of the like would work much better.

Blind and strike that's not making much since to me?