Nexxtech 1W 3xAAA Luxeon - Clearance v. WF-602A1

infection0

Newly Enlightened
Saw this light on clearance (It used to be $40) and couldn't resist. $10 shipped to my University. Fast shipping.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/prod...PRODUCT SPOT&cm_ite=1 PRODUCT&cm_keycode=8360

It's funny seeing the reviews, but they overexxagerate the usefulness of the light. It's quite decent output, but whoever paid $40 for it got ripped off. One guy even thinks the beam is focusable. It's not really. You unscrew the head to expose the Luxeon LED. Exposing the LED gives out a wall of flood that's useful if you just dropped some keys in the grass at night, but dropping the light at that point would mean smashing the LED and circuitry about it. Screwed on tightly, the head has a fairly tight spot with disappointing rings. It is noticeably brighter than my other flashlight, WF-602A1, however, not by enough. Especially not enough to justify its size and heft. Comes with 3 AAA batteries Duracell, thought that was nice. Lanyard is attached. Tailstands wobbly, but decent. Came with a scratch but this light is ugly anyway. Solid clicky on the body. Feels very solid in hand, but when you jog with it it's not bright enough (though it has a tiny bit more throw than my 602A1, the hotspot is nearly the same width and the sidespill is just as useless) and the battery carrier bounces enough to be annoying.

This light will fill all your indoor needs. Sidespill is brighter than the 602A1, hotspot is too. Beam is not as pretty.

Overall a very decent buy if you're on a budget. Definitely good for emergencies, hefty enough to whack someone, yet just the right size for holding.

I won't love this light as much as my 602A1 and it won't get as much use, but I assume the batteries last pretty long and I will trust this light as my emergency light. It's ugly and I can't pass this off to other people as "manly jewelry" (half of the guys understand me when I let them hold my A1 and tell them that)

Actually my dorm has been pretty accepting to my flashlight addiction (WHICH I MUST STOP).

So now, I have a nice budget collection:
Photon Clones for when I can't carry my 602A1
Ultrafire WF-602A1 (ENC, every night carry)
Nexxtech Flashlight ("big light")
Xnova AA ("crappy light")

so I will make a promise with myself: the only light I will next spend over $8 on is a Fenix P1...

this is such a dumb post.

infection0

Newly Enlightened
Here's another tempting light. However the form of batteries is confusing. Is it CR123 or AA? Specs say AA, reviews say CR123. Has a low and high mode! $9 before shipping.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast

infection0

Newly Enlightened
Multiple reviews suggest a two stage and a CR123 battery. If you go instore to buy it, you may be able to check it out for yourself. Online specs suck.

el_vato

Newly Enlightened

DrJ

Enlightened
I picked up the nexxtech 6119008 during lunch...1W CR123 with low and high settings (comes with a panasonic cell)...the head can also be turned to do some focusing...not a bad deal at all for $8.99+tax....

ecnica

Newly Enlightened
how big is the cr123 light? is it like the Dorcy Super 1w or like the Nuwai Q3? TIA

DrJ

Enlightened
It's bigger than both, I believe...it's about 4.5 inches long...there is another thread here about this particular light, I found it earlier today by searching for Circuit City, I think....

It has a 1W Luxeon Star in it...I think the other thread mentioned this also....

infection0

Newly Enlightened
4.5 in for a CR123 light... jeez

can anyone comment on the brightness of the CR123 one? Comparisons to other popular small lights please? I might cave if its significantly brighter than my 602A...

by the way that "HEAVY duty head lamp" takes 4D batteries... hahahahah wtf

ecnica

Newly Enlightened
Thanks DrJ, I might have to pass but a good price, I was looking for a cr123 1w to deplete the batts from the incan lights I have.

DrJ said:
It's bigger than both, I believe...it's about 4.5 inches long...there is another thread here about this particular light, I found it earlier today by searching for Circuit City, I think....

It has a 1W Luxeon Star in it...I think the other thread mentioned this also....

EssLight

Newly Enlightened
These two threads have a bit of info on the 6119008http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=65641
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=78399

Quoting from Nikon in one of the posts:
"It's a 1x123 and it's regulated, though whether voltage or current regulated I'm not sure. I'd estimate the brightness as 3l. on low and 25l. on high. The runtime should be pretty good since the current draw from a fresh battery is 22mA on low and 380mA on high."

I tried to get a couple at my local Circuit City yesterday, their computer showed 4 in stock, but they are remodeling and couldn't find them. I can't convince myself to pay for shipping, and I would prefer to look at the light in person before buying it. But it does seem a good deal for a 1 Watt light with dual levels.

DrJ

Enlightened
Well I ended up with 3 of the Nexxtech 6119008 R123 lights to test...they draw between about 400ma and 480ma on high with an almost fresh battery...one is rather dim, while one is very bright and white...(Luxeon lottery I guess)...the bright white one makes my Fenix P1 look greenish side-by-side, and is about as bright (if not brighter) than the P1, with maybe a little less (subjective) total output than the P1....

tvman

Newly Enlightened
I found one 6118952 1w 3aaa at $6.99. Virtually no spill but pleased with pure white beam, removable head, and good grip. Ordered some 6119008 with free shipping from CC.