LuxV suggestions?

Rando

Enlightened
I'm in the market for a Luxeon V light. I'd prefer that it's "pocketable" and well regulated. I'd like one of the Surefire models, but that's more than I'm looking to spend right now (max. around $100, prefer to keep it under $75)

I'm currently considering the Nuwai 301x-5 (Looks like a big QIII to me). Amondotech has it for $64.50. Anyone have it and want to give their opinion? Other suggestions?

FlashlightReview's 3- and 5-watt page seems to be 404 right now.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quickbeam has reorganized the file structure. 3 and 5 are on separate pages now. Go via the main page and you're fine.

Rando

Enlightened
Looks like I caught it during (or soon after) an update. The main menu still showed the 3 & 5 on the same page but after refreshing it dumped my cache and works now. Thanks for that.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well to be honest there aren't alot of LuxV lights that are under $100. Why exactly do you want a Lux5? The Nuwai you are looking at is a decent light, but there are far better options for even cheaper.

I suggest buying a quality Lux3 light that is able to run on 18650 cells because it will give very good runtime because of its compacity. The new Wolf Eyes light that flashlightreviews just reviewed looks awesome! It runs on a single rechargable 18650 cell and gives 3+ hours of 100% flat regulation at around 40-45 lumens. It has twice the throw of the Lux5 Nuwai and only about 12-15 less lumens overall.

Rando

Enlightened
I already have several Lux III lights (my edc is a P1) and just wanted something that would put out more light but not have to put up with the life span of incandescent bulbs.

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened
Nuwai 301x-5 is wall of light --almost pure flood.

If you run it on two rcr123's it is quite bright, but it gets hot; so, you may want to upgrade the heatsink.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go for the Nuwai. Get a UCL glass lens and when you unscrew the bezel to fit it place a bead of heatsink around the edge of the board and the case wall. Nice even flood of light and really bright on 3.6v cells.

yekim

Enlightened
I say save a couple more bucks and go for the Surefire. The L2 I have seen for just a little more than your max on the forums here, and it is an awesome light.

I think that on a lux V EDC light that two stages are necessary because full tilt boogie can be too much sometimes.

I have the luxIII version of the light you are looking at, and it was my EDC for a long time, but it has long since been surpassed by better quality lights that put out more and cost the same. It is my backup now. The finish is worn, I think it is only an haII.

Either that or go with what adirondackdestroyer says, you can get alot more flashlight with that kind of budget and a lux III, something much more useful for EDC like a jetbeam or Fenix or Liteflux or a plethora of other lights. You are not going to miss out on the Lumens too much.

mdocod

Flashaholic
I recomend a Nuwai to stay in your budget, but I do NOT recomend the 301-X5. You said you already have luxIII lights, and the 301-X5 is actually a pretty poor performer for a luxV(output wise), there are MANY luxIII lights out there that are actually brighter than the 301-X5. The only logical reason to pay the big money involved with a luxV light is to get more light. I suggest going a cell larger and springing for the ALX-253L, it's a 3 cell light. Then buy a pair of protected 17500s from AW. Longer runtime and brighter than the 301.