Newbie ?....Please help!

vegas

Newly Enlightened
Hello folks,
I'm new to the forum and have been lurking around for a few days. I first came here while researching surefire flashlights. I have learned quite a bit so far thanks to all the combined experience on the board.

I have discovered since reading here that a surefire light has so many possible upgrades. It's not just "pick a light and buy it". I am mostly interested in the C2, C3, G2Z, or Z2 due to the pistol+flashlight grip capabilities. But, I am in no way biased to surefire because I have never even seen one in real life. I just heard they are some of the best lights one can buy. I was reading a thread about how to make a C3 rechargeable, and I really want to be able to have rechargeable batteries. A previous poster recommended this (C3/A19/P91 on AW's 2x17670s) What would my running time and light output be with this setup though? I am a little confused about what happens when you change the setup like this.

So I have two more questions here:
Will swithching to rechargeables sacrifice any light output? I haven't found anything stating that the light will perform any differently with rechargeables. Except one website said their batteries were actually stronger voltage than the disposables, and it may fry your bulb.

And...Is there any way to take let's say a C2 or C3 and make it have a variable output like a surefire U2 Ultra? I really like the power of having a moderate sized lamp that's bright enough to give me a nice tan....LOL. But sometimes you just want to read something with a light and don't want to blind yourself in the process.

I guess I am just not sure if I can buy what I am looking for. Maybe I will have to settle for one or the other. And I am looking into other brands too, I just don't know exactly where to start.

I appreciate any advice y'all can share with me here.

Thanks,

Vegas

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will swithching to rechargeables sacrifice any light output?
No, and it will stay brighter longer.

And...Is there any way to take let's say a C2 or C3 and make it have a variable output like a surefire U2 Ultra?
No, this is led territory, but Steamlight makes a tailcap dimmer for one of its light. I do not recall which model.

redskins38

Newly Enlightened
Ive got a C3 with a P91(200 lumens) and let me tell you for its size that baby can put out some light. It took me quite awhile to put down the 100 for it(it was my first real light) I couldnt be happier with it. If you go with the C3 you wont be dissapointed.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on the rechargeable you want to use. Some will fry the bulb, some will have reduced output.

Quickbeam has a comparison table for the use of Pila batteries on his page. Pila batteries are safer to use than other Li-rechargeables, but usually have reduced output with incans (as with the C2, for example).

Incans are inherently difficult to vary much in brightness without sacrificing bulb life (more exactly, filament life). If you want to have variable brightness, you either need multiple bulbs/filaments (don't know any in small packages), or LEDs in some form (perhaps a LED/Incan combo).

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you plan to use it in conjunction with a handgun? If so, wait a few months. Trust me. You will be happy you did.

dchao

Enlightened
If you're planning to use rechargables for your incan, here is what I recommend:

If you have a 3x123 light, keep the 9V bulb, and 2x li-ion cells (17500/300S) will drive it without much dimming.

If you a 2x123 light, replace your 6V bulb with a 3.7V bulb designed for just one li-ion cell (17670/600S).

Last edited:

vegas

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for all the responses. "Wait a few months" huh? OK. Do you care to elaborate? I can keep a secret!

---------------------

dchao said:
If you're planning to use rechargables for your incan, here is what I recommend:

If you have a 3x123 light, keep the 9V bulb, and 2x li-ion cells (17500/300S) will drive it without much dimming.

If you a 2x123 light, replace your 6V bulb with a 3.7V bulb designed for just one li-ion cell (17670/600S).

So a 2x123 light on a 17670 will be good? Would a 18650 be better? Can I bore a C2 and stick a 18650 in there? I am a little confused about the size of these batteries, so forgive me if I am way off in what I am thinking. If that is possible, would that make a C2 similar to a C3? I was reading Buz's thread about his Wolf-eyes setup, and it seems that is similar to what he has done with good results.

(maybe that would hold me off for a few months Hogokansatsukan?)

Thanks again!

Vegas

edit: I just realized the 17670 and 18650 are both 3.7 volts right? What is the difference, the mAh? So the 18650 just lasts longer on a charge?

Last edited:

vegas

Newly Enlightened
Okay, so I have made up my mind. I am going to buy a C2 and bore it to take protected 18650. I have no clue what exactly I will need to do this setup. I have a Grizzly G4000 lathe and I can bore the tube ( I think!) But do I change the bulb? Is it going to take one battery or two? What charger to get? Sorry for all the newbie ?'s but I figured you guys all know better than I.

thanks,
Vegas

vegas

Newly Enlightened
A few more things I am unsure about. If I buy a C2 and bore it to fit 18650's.....It's going to hold one 18650 correct? I am under the assumption that one 18650 is the length of two 123a batteries, right? And the a19 cell extender is for one 123a battery?

So would it be possible to add two a19's to a C2 to make it hold two 18650's, then put a p90 or even a p91 in it? I am hoping it's possible to buy a C2 instead of a C3, but make it work like both.

I don't know if this would work. But it seems it might. (Or I just have no idea what I am talking about!)

Thanks!

Vegas