Can we please keep the Incandescent Flashlight section about incandescent flashlights?

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not the biggest incand guy around but I do like/appreciate them. There's plenty of good threads, information and discussion on here for those interested.

The problem I'm seeing here is demonstrated in a particular thread that now appears to be a (fairly one sided) discussion about electric vehicles and so on.
These kind of discussions would be best had in an appropriate section, or the café.

Topics are always going to go on a tangent but for some reason this part of the forum is a real magnet for it.

I'm sure there's some incandescent fans or those with interest that would prefer a more on topic section.

I have no interest in governing people's conversations but it occurs to me that the above mentioned wouldn't go down very well in other areas of the forum.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Agreed, and I'm sorry the analogy I used in that thread resulted in the huge side discussion. I didn't think it would, nor was that my intention. I guess the lesson is to avoid using any analogies mentioning electric vehicles because some people can't avoid sticking their two cents in when they see the words "EV". I guess EVDS (EV derangement syndrome) is a real thing.

I even tried to end the EV discussion in post 33 of that thread to no avail when I wrote this:

Leave the EV discussion for the threads about it. Again the assumptions of most of the people who hate them are based on the state of technology like a decade ago.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's possibly more lessons to be learned, but no harm done.

We can certainly say that in no uncertain terms, you love your electric vehicles.

The world is varied and complicated.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
As an engineer I love any new technology. Change is exciting. EVs, LEDs, SSDs, AI, fusion. All this stuff is fascinating. We're living in great times.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed, and I'm sorry the analogy I used in that thread resulted in the huge side discussion. I didn't think it would, nor was that my intention. I guess the lesson is to avoid using any analogies mentioning electric vehicles because some people can't avoid sticking their two cents in when they see the words "EV". I guess EVDS (EV derangement syndrome) is a real thing.

Just because people disagree with your opinions that doesn't make them deranged, denigrating others purely for holding alternative opinions is tantamount to elitism.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Just because people disagree with your opinions that doesn't make them deranged, denigrating others purely for holding alternative opinions is tantamount to elitism.
You didn't get what I was saying at all. I'm not saying people are deranged because they're disagreeing with me. I'm saying that the mere mention of EVs triggers them. Big difference.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh I did... "derangement syndrome" is a label (or descriptive term) used to denigrate alternative opinions, because the term is applied to reactions deemed as irrational by the author.

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Nope. I'm done in this thread and the other one. I made my apology, said my piece. If others want to continue arguing, have at it.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not the biggest incand guy around but I do like/appreciate them. There's plenty of good threads, information and discussion on here for those interested.

The problem I'm seeing here is demonstrated in a particular thread that now appears to be a (fairly one sided) discussion about electric vehicles and so on.
These kind of discussions would be best had in an appropriate section, or the café.

Topics are always going to go on a tangent but for some reason this part of the forum is a real magnet for it.

I'm sure there's some incandescent fans or those with interest that would prefer a more on topic section.

I have no interest in governing people's conversations but it occurs to me that the above mentioned wouldn't go down very well in other areas of the forum.
The irony being, this is a thread about posting habits and forum etiquette, but it is posted in the incandescent section of the forum and not the cafe... :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic

It's getting that way throughout the board anymore. Threads starting out as one topic turning into a hodge podge of subject matter. Can't say I'm guiltless, but I do try to remember to do a BTT closing statement at those times.

Being as LED is now the dominant light source that still tries to mimic a light bulb it's not a surprise that those who prefer the LED's attempted light bulb tint would say so. Especially being that the remaining light bulb fan is about as rare as an honest politician anymore.

Blue light doesn't bother me, or at least that I know of so I don't use light bulbs for that reason. I use them sometimes simply because I like the way the light they shine looks, filament shadows and all. Oh, dratz that's another thread. Oops.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It's Opposite Day. I'm going to re-rail this topic:
Anyone else enjoy using two 18500 cells in their SureFire 9P w/ higher output SF lamp option like I do?

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's Opposite Day. I'm going to re-rail this topic:
Anyone else enjoy using two 18500 cells in their SureFire 9P w/ higher output SF lamp option like I do?
Sounds like that's awesome!

I don't have a higher output lamp but can I do 2 18500 with a regular 6p lamp?

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
From 2006 but still relevant