Where to buy ammo in Germany

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Son-in-Law is stationed in Germany. He would like to practice firing his issued M9 Beretta 9mm but he is not issued any ammo for that purpose. USPS and UPS will not ship ammo out of the States. Fed-X will but only via Air Freight that is airport to airport with a stack of paperwork.
How may he obtain pistol ammo in Germany? What are the rules and laws that apply to buying ammo? He is living in a town named Illesheim.
BTW, he is likely to see sand shortly and I would like him to get some range time before that happens.

PS, I can go to my local Mom and Pop Hardware store and buy ammo. Can you?
wink.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dana,

email or PM me - I´m a german flashaholic and sport shooter as well - shooting is very regulated in germany and you have to have a special license to be able to buy a gun/pistol and ammunition. I´m shure we can figure something out and help your son-in-law to get some practice.

best regards

Klaus

Seth

Newly Enlightened
sunspot,
What are the rules and laws that apply to buying ammo?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Imagine the strictest laws you have over there in the U.S., make them 2x more restrictive... now you have it
grin.gif

Seth

Monsters_Inc

Banned
I'll take your UK laws and up it x3. Serial child sex offenders have an easier time getting into the childcare profession than a law abiding citizen with no criminal history getting a firearm (complete with bomb proof retina-scan safe and quadruple trigger locks and the operation to remove trigger pulling fingers on both hands as required by law).

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sitting here stunned. I have no comeback to the above posts. I went into mental overload.

Thank you for your help Klaus.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dana,

after the not-so-exciting answer from my buddy "in-the-know" I will work on getting something possibly more exciting from the sport shooting guys.

Oh and yes - those new laws in UK and Australia are nasty-nasty - but really interesting how armed crime rose since then in those countries - interesting isn´t it ?

Klaus

yclo

Flashaholic*
Which is why I dropped by the shooting range for my second time in shooting pistols.

This time it was a Glock 17, quite fun.

-YC

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi to down-under,

I will leave in an hour or so for my weekly shooting range evening
grin.gif

Klaus

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live out in the country side. I have a range set up about 200m from my house. I use two paper targets and some steel targets. Gunshots are commonly heard in my neck of the woods so there are no complaints.

Klaus. What pistol do you shoot?

axolotls

Enlightened
Slightly OT:

Wow. Talk about restrictive laws that probably aren't doing anything to curb senseless crime.

How long is ammo good for (if it's occasionally tumbled)?

Anarchocap

Enlightened
axolotls,
Maybe you've learned the first thing about "gun control". It has absolutely nothing to do with crime, and everything to do with keeping the peasants...er...citizenry under control.

axolotls

Enlightened
UK Ban on Handguns has not lowered Gun Crime Figures. (CNSNEWS)

Synopsis (by me): In 2000 - 3,685 crimes were commited by persons with illegal handguns (43 murders, 310 attempted murders, 2,561 robberies).

By 9/2000, over 100,000 privately owned firearms were surrendered to police...

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Onyx -
Not sure what things are like in NSW now, but it isn't that bad in Queensland. My old license expired as I didn't do the renewal in time, but I had no trouble applying for a new one. Category A/B only though - semi-auto/pump action or shotgun is a whole other barrel of worms..

Graham

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Yeah, I had a friend who went over the QLD (in the 80s) and said he could still buy ammo off the shelf at the local corner store.

I'd like to get my hands on some of that recent Beretta shipment with 6 month "use by" date though...
wink.gif

Graham, did you or do you still live out in the bush? It's more lenient for folks wanting to control pests, way diff story for city-folk.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, never lived in the bush, although I know one or two people who own acreage, who have licenses due to that.

In the 80's you could still buy firearms at some K-Mart stores, as long as you had some form of ID..A-Mart even sold semi-auto Chinese SKSs in those days..

Up until the big licensing change after Port Arthur, it was still fairly straightforward to own a rifle and purchase ammunition in QLD (only pistols and concealeable weapons required a permit). Now you need a firearms license for everything..
However, it seems straightforward enough to get a category A/B license as long as you are a shooting club member.

Graham

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Dana - sorry - I´m late

I´m shooting a Tanfoglio Limited in .45ACP - an italian beauty - more or less the base model of the one the current IPSC champion is using.

cwk4.jpg

Klaus

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
But let me give you the complete set of pics the above came from - the series is called
grin.gif
Copy Watch Killer
grin.gif

cwk1.jpg

Poor little watch hanging around there

cwk2.jpg

Just below some can and above the paper target

cwk3.jpg

On a 25 yards / meter range

cwk4.jpg

Using the .45 for it

cwk5.jpg