Surefire clickie

sceva

Newly Enlightened
Well, I've joined the ranks of those having problems with their clickie. For some time my E1L clickie would not click on until I shifted position (turned the light) so I was pressing on the button at a different spot. After pressing a few times it would work fine for until I let it sit a while. Aggravating but I could live with it. It started getting worse and last weekend since it was getting worse I tried lightly lubing with silicone oil. It immediately quit clicking completely and became a momentary on only light. WATCH OILING, I only had spray Silacone lubricant so the evaporative carrier for the oil possibly? After sitting overnight it's working again about like before.
The good news is, I e-mailed Surefire and their mailing me a new tailcap for my E1L no questions asked. I don't know how long it will take to actually get it but I can live with the light the way it is until it comes.

I wonder if and when Surefire will make their clickie tailcap as good as the rest of the light?

Sceva

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the same problem when I tried to lubricate with silicone grease, and with MCL Cailube on my Surefire U2 tailcap. By experimenting I am trying Valvoline Durablend semi synthetic grease on my Surefire U2 tailcap where I have taken it apart, cleaned, and greased everything. The clickie is working smoother and quieter. I see no negative effects of the grease on the rubber parts, and it stills works great after 2 weeks.
sceva said:
Well, I've joined the ranks of those having problems with their clickie. For some time my E1L clickie would not click on until I shifted position (turned the light) so I was pressing on the button at a different spot. After pressing a few times it would work fine for until I let it sit a while. Aggravating but I could live with it. It started getting worse and last weekend since it was getting worse I tried lightly lubing with silicone oil. It immediately quit clicking completely and became a momentary on only light. WATCH OILING, I only had spray Silacone lubricant so the evaporative carrier for the oil possibly? After sitting overnight it's working again about like before.
The good news is, I e-mailed Surefire and their mailing me a new tailcap for my E1L no questions asked. I don't know how long it will take to actually get it but I can live with the light the way it is until it comes.

I wonder if and when Surefire will make their clickie tailcap as good as the rest of the light?

Sceva

sceva

Newly Enlightened
Does the clickie cap for the E series dis-assemble easily. If so, how? It looks like in may unscrew with a spanner but otherwise looked like it wasn't meant to be taken apart readily.

Sceva

InfidelCastro

Banned
sceva said:

Sceva

Regarding the E-series clickies and Z59's, I wouldn't hold my breath.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've replaced 3 so far. I'm sure SF is working hard to remedy the situation. It can't be cheap constantly replacing tailcaps. Its funny, my E2D clicky has been rock solid.

Twisty's Rule!

todnar

Newly Enlightened
I had my clickie on my ED2 go out after only having it for 5 hours. It made it through about 20 cycles.:mad:
After getting my replacement and reading one of the original threads on this problem, I put mobile1 motor oil in the broke switch. It's back on the light and has worked fine for about 2-3 weeks now.
Time will tell.

todnar

Newly Enlightened
CampDavid,

Mine locked up in the on position so I had to use it as a twisty. That might be somewhat of an answer to your question.

Cheers,
Tod

Campdavid

Newly Enlightened
Tod,

Thanks for the reply! I did that for a while, however now I am simply taking apart my clickies and messing around with them until they work. So far so good, I have one that actually seems to be working.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire tailcaps may have their problems, but I have noticed that you can at least take them apart and repair them to work perfectly again, where other brands break and you actually need to buy a new switch and replace it.

[Thanks for the reply! I did that for a while, however now I am simply taking apart my clickies and messing around with them until they work. So far so good, I have one that actually seems to be working.[/QUOTE]

Campdavid

Newly Enlightened
On taking them apart...you are absolutely correct! Most other switches would be impossible to fix/take apart. It's not only nice to be able to fix it, but also to able to simply "tinker with".

sceva

Newly Enlightened
Received a new tailcap yesterday. It took less than a week to receive it. And to those that think that were taking advantage of Surefire's warranty, I told them in my e-mail that it had started working again. The old one is still working most of the time and still takes spells when it won't click on and only works as a momentary until I press it multiple times.

Anyway, the new tailcap works very smoothly. I also noticed that, looking into the cap, that the plastic piece under the spring is white plasyic ( nylon or teflon?) in the new one and black plastic in the old one. Maybe they are improving the switches and using something that is self lubricating? These are the only two I have looked at so I can not say if they normally come both ways (color optional) or is it is a change in materials.

sceva