Which is an easier & safer method?

flame2000

Enlightened
Hi,

I want to access the LED in my Fenix L2P head and pop in a S-bin. Which is an easier & safer method:

1. Boil the head for 3min.
2. Use a hairdryer to heat up the head.

BTW, will boiling damage the lens AR coating or circuitry? :)

Thanks.

Last edited:

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Which is a easier & safer method?

I have had no success getting the L2P head open myself. I've heated it up to 300 deg F with a heat gun (monitoring with an IR pyrometer) and flash frozen it with a wart freezer. Nothing I have been able to do has freed up the light engine. A precisely fitted slot tool with the head in a non damaging vise would probably do it, but even with needle nose pliers that fit in the slots and quite a bit of torque, I've been unsuccessful. Its too bad most of these seemed to ship with a greenish or greenish yellow LED, it really affects my attraction to the light.

flame2000

Enlightened
wasBlinded said:
I have had no success getting the L2P head open myself. I've heated it up to 300 deg F with a heat gun (monitoring with an IR pyrometer) and flash frozen it with a wart freezer. Nothing I have been able to do has freed up the light engine. A precisely fitted slot tool with the head in a non damaging vise would probably do it, but even with needle nose pliers that fit in the slots and quite a bit of torque, I've been unsuccessful. Its too bad most of these seemed to ship with a greenish or greenish yellow LED, it really affects my attraction to the light.

That's precisly the reason why I want to open up my L2P head!

Today I compare my L2P with my $15 1W light I just got.
See this thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/138689

The $15 light is so much whiter than my L2P.

P1000340.jpg

Last edited: