Newbe shopping for some light!

Lonely Raven

Newly Enlightened

OK, I've been reading up here a bit in the forums, but there is A LOT here to digest. Hopefully you all can help me narrow down my choices a bit.

Story:

My fiancé wants to get me a nice flashlight for my birthday in early November. She can't afford to get me anything from any of my other hobbies, and even this flashlight would be stretching it for her honestly. If I find "the one" flashlight that will suit me, then I'd pitch in however much cash needed, but HER budget is around $100.

My needs:

I'm a computer systems manager for a large hotel chain. I do some "guard" work (putting it very loosely) on the side. I'm also an amateur photographer often out at all hours photographing, and enjoy late night bike rides. I have some tactical pistol training, and have used surefire lights in training, and I've since wanted a quality, compact light, but I'm not stuck on any brand or system.

Requirements:

Hopefully I'm not asking too much of one light. But I fear that I am. This is where I really need some guidance, as there is so much out there to look at, choose from, and compare. Usually I do my own research, but my fiancé wants to order this light for me this weekend while she's got the cash in her pocket. :)

I need something compact, belt pouch size I guess, that I could wear under a suit. It's got to be damn near indestructible, no easy to break bulbs. HIGH power; If I'm going to get a good light, it's got to be able to cover everything from peeking down a cable run conduit to tactical pistol to walking the dog. I'd prefer rechargeable to expensive single use batteries, I don't mind the initial expense as long as I'm not replacing rechargeable every six months! I'd buy a professional charging station if need be since I'd use it with my camera and bike gear anyways. I like lights that I can hold the button for on, or click for constant on. Variable beam pattern would be a plus, as would variable output.

That's all I can think of now. So is this too much of a noob thread? :grin2:

vizlor

Newly Enlightened
I am a newbie too, but I'd recommend a surefire 6p and an additional p61 bulb I guess.

With the p61 bulb on, you get good self-defence light :touche:
, as well as good photography light (I think). The p60 bulb will let the batteries last 3 times as long, and still give you very good throw, which can help you peek down a cable run.

As far as I know, you can also mount it on your weapon, and it's VERY tough, doesn't break easy, fits well in your hand, can be turned into a recharchable and it costs around 56$.

I guess you could also get a kroma since it should be good for many many things. Then again, I'm pretty much a newbie too, so don't take my words for granted. :whistle:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF Loney Raven!

When you get married you going to change your name to "Not So Loney Raven?!" Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I would purchase a Surefire E2L and then buy a E1e body so you can go from small to really small. They are very bright, good throwers, and are easy on the batteries. I don't go through alot of batteries so I prefer primary cells. They don't have variable brightness though. Maybe a SF L1? I have a L2 but it is kinda long for business casual dress.

Good Luck

Lonely Raven

Newly Enlightened
I made the mistake of looking at the Shoppe and McGizmos mods, and I think I ruined myself!

I'm definitely looking at something a bit more high end then the stock Surefires. I think I'm going to look into one of those highly modded with the new XR-E LED.

I'm pushing my budget to around $200. :)

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pushing my budget to around $200.

LOL, the guy has been here for one day and he's already doubled his budget!
grinser2.gif

Behold the the power of flashaholism!
buttrock.gif

CFU

Edit: Welcome to CPF Lonely Raven.
smile.gif

Lonely Raven

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome!

My budget in my head was already around $200, but my fiance wanted to stick to $100 (or less).

I think I'm just going to buy me a good light and she's going to pitch in $100 on it.

So, I've done more reading. I understand a good deal of the build and electronics. I just need to narrow down what light works for me. I realize I don't need a variable beam pattern, as I see the nice lights have a good flood with a good hotspot. That should cover my needs well. :)

Now to find a light that suits me.

ADDICTED2LITE

Newly Enlightened
If you could find an old Surefire KL1 head and have Milkyspit mod it. Very bright with a E2L body, very compact with a E1L body. You also get to pick the tint. All three of mine are the whitest I have seen. I have bought and sold many lights trying to find one that suited me, this one fixed that problem.

Colorado Fatboy

Newly Enlightened
Since your requirements are so spread out I would get several lights. If you're going to spend $200 you could get 2 or 3 very good lights that would cover your needs well.

Just my $.02!

ahw

Newly Enlightened
I'd get a Surefire E2L or L4, IMO their 2 most popular LEDs or a 6p their bestsellerThe E2D is one sweet looking light too!

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new Lumapower M1...it's a new version of the Huntlight Ft 01...and use 2 123a cells or the 18650 recharge...long burn time...good strong output...look under Manufacture's corner....YOu can get two 18650 cells- a charger and the light for about $100. THen you'll have $100 left for another great light....one is never enough!

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you could find an old Surefire KL1 head and have Milkyspit mod it. Very bright with a E2L body, very compact with a E1L body. You also get to pick the tint. All three of mine are the whitest I have seen. I have bought and sold many lights trying to find one that suited me, this one fixed that problem.

Aye, the ML-1 looks like a very special light.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/137840

CFU

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps Mr Bulks Chameleon would work nicely for you...................
86157242-M.jpg

You can purchase at Lighthound click link

I had one, variable brightness, interchangeable heads, uses rechargeables; very good light for situations, as you describe.

There is also a thread for ordering a McLux PD from McGizmo, for just slighly more than you have budgeted..............you could not go wrong with a PD.

Good Luck, (hold on to your wallet, too:lolsign:)

jeffb

Meeshi_ma

Newly Enlightened
I got a McLux III-PD (came in the mail TODAY!! - come on, darkness!) and I love it.

It's basically indestructible, yet, comes apart very easily and works awesome. It is definately a great light that will last me years.

If you can stretch your time schedule out at all, the Crees are coming out and Don's looking into doing some new lights with those...

Good luck!

-Brian

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lonely Raven said:
...I'm a computer systems manager for a large hotel chain. I do some "guard" work (putting it very loosely) on the side...have used surefire lights in training, and I've since wanted a quality, compact light, but I'm not stuck on any brand or system...need something compact, belt pouch size I guess, that I could wear under a suit. It's got to be damn near indestructible, no easy to break bulbs...I'd prefer rechargeable to expensive single use batteries...I like lights that I can hold the button for on, or click for constant on. Variable beam pattern would be a plus, as would variable output....
Based on your above criteria, I'd suggest the HDS U60, B60, or Fire~Fly III. Both can run on a rechargeable RCR123A cell. See the Nano Charger kits: http://www.lighthound.com/sales/nano_r123_lithium_battery_charger.htm

HDS U60 review: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/hds_edcu60xr.htm
The HDS B-series lights can be programmed like the U-series, albeit via a laborious technique: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=124038

Fire~FlyIII info: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=109517
http://www.batterystation.com/firefly3.htm

If none of that suits you, consider the new 2AA MiniMag (aka MagLED). It's only $24, available at local Target and Wal-Mart stores. It's quite good for the price: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_minimagled.htm

Lonely Raven

Newly Enlightened
Meeshi_ma said:
I got a McLux III-PD (came in the mail TODAY!! - come on, darkness!) and I love it.

It's basically indestructible, yet, comes apart very easily and works awesome. It is definately a great light that will last me years.

If you can stretch your time schedule out at all, the Crees are coming out and Don's looking into doing some new lights with those...

Good luck!

-Brian

Right now, I'm leaning towards a McLux III-PD-T as I love titanium, or a "natural" aluminum body. I'd love to hold out for the new Cree LED and whatever Don does with them. I'm reading up on that stuff now. I think that's where I'm leaning too.

In the mean time, I'm going to read up on all the other suggestions listed here. I'm thinking I need something larger then the Fire Fly sized though. I think I can stash a 2X123 light under my suit while at work. I already carry a Gerber sportman and kershaw flip knife without showing. So a two cell light shouldn't be too diffiuclt. :)