Do you lock up/hide your good lights?

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
I have a box that I keep my lights that I don't use in. But I often use my most expensive and favorite lights all the time, especially for work so I keep them out. My AE powerlight and mag 85 are next to the computer and my Surefire M3, G2, E1L, Inova X5, and a couple of others are kept on a shelf near the bed. I can't keep the room locked since we live at my mother in laws house and I use my lights all the time so I don't put them away. I usually let others borrow a light but I go and get them the light that I want them to use and thats fine. Well, today, my mother in law is having a new furnace and airconditioner put in (her cousin is doing it) and I went to run to the store and came back to notice my Surefire M3 was missing off the shelf. I was a little bit worried. I have a three year old daughter who loves to get into things and she loves flashlights too. I also have a 9 year old sister in law who is Austistic and gets into everything. I figured that one of those two had taken it and hid it somewhere, I started to get frantic. My wife then told me to check with the guys downstairs to see if they had it. I told her they better not. Well, I go down there and yep, one of the guys had it laying with a bunch of junk on top of the water heater. Wow, I was PO'd. Anyways, I think I need to atleast start putting my good lights somewhere safe. These guys obviously didn't know what kind of light it was or how much it costs and I don't blame them, they didn't know. And the other day, I found my E1L sitting on the kitchen table just ready to be snatched up my my sister in law or my 3 year old to be possibley lost forever. I don't mean to be picky but I need to know where all my lights are at all times and I don't want them scattered around the house. Any one else have any problems like that?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Most are indeed locked up and accessed when I need them. I've got some "users" available at all times though!

Chris201W

Enlightened
That's exactly why I cannot wait to move out and get a place of my own. I'm tired of sharing the place I live with other people, who get into my stuff and don't let me do things where their stuff is.

I'm going to college next year, so I'm just going to try to stick it out. Hopefully I'll get a single dorm...

WNG

Enlightened
Ummm, so, after everything that's already taken place, why isn't your valuables locked up?? Security is our responsibility, expecting others to respect your boundaries and property is in vain. It's human nature.

Secure your stuff. Others don't have a right to help themselves to your things, even family, especially when they don't have the courtesy to treat things with care and respect.

My time and efforts, my things, my consideration, is a privilege not an entitlement.

So are your's.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
What WNG said. Anything you value should be locked up. And no matter how much they whine, DO NOT give them a key. If they respected your things enough to be trusted with a key, then there'd be no need to lock your things up to begin with.

:buddies:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Most are just in the workshop or bedroom, but a couple of the hardest to replace ones are well out of sight.

Geoff

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
None of mine are that "good". Most expensive one is probably Waion's VB-16 at $55 shipped. About all I need. However, if I am packing a flashlight into my checked baggage during trips, I'll take the tailcap off and hide it elsewhere or have it in my handcarried to reduce the temptation for someone to walk off with it...

WNG

Enlightened
nerdgineer said:
... I'll take the tailcap off and hide it elsewhere or have it in my handcarried to reduce the temptation for someone to walk off with it...

Hey, now that's a great idea, Nerdgineer!
I'll have to remember this strategy the next time I pack for a trip.
Thanks!

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its not just lights, its anything of value. People are used to cheap stuff so it doesn't matter if how they treat it. You save up for something nice, new light, tool, laptop, truck, whatever and people will abuse it if you let them.
Guy stopped by my desk to talk to me at work and I carry my small personal laptop since we only have Lotus notes so I need a working calendar system and my laptop was closed up and he felt the need to lean on it for some reason. I said something like "do you realize your leaning on a laptop?" and he didn't even flinch so I started to pull it out from under his hand and he finally got the hint.
A lot of people lease a car now and trade them in every couple years so they assume you do to so they don't care if they put a scratch or dent in yours.
Most people assume you bought your lights at walmart like they did so they assume yours are just throw around tools. The attitude is usually "its just a ..."