Spring Ahead!!!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
For most people in the United States, remember to set your clocks 1 hour forward for Daylight Saving Time. Do it at 2:00am local time or just before you go to bed; whichever occurs first.

This is also a good time to change the battery(ies) in your smoke alarms, as most fire departments recommend.

mikep

Enlightened
I had my oil changed this weekend, and Jiffy Lube gave me a 9v battery to change in my smoke detector. I thought it was a nice gesture.

Darell

Flashaholic
Is anybody else not too fond of this self-induced jet-lag twice a year? Let's choose to leave it at the "savig" time, or even compromise, and go 1/2 hour ahead for the whole year. I know *I'd* be happy, and that's what it is all about, isn't it?

I have 35 clocks to reset every time, and it takes me a week to remember them all. I have the cars, the car charger, electronic timers, appliances, watches, water softener, alarm clocks, thermostats, remotes. The good news is that I now have several clocks that set themselves: My radio-set clocks, my cell phone and my GPS. All clocks should have this technology - then maybe I wouldn't be so grumpy about all this.

When I become supreme ruler, we will NOT switch time twice a year. But that's second in line behind switching the US over to actually using our official measurement system (metric).

Terrapin Flyer

Newly Enlightened
I'm with Darrell. I have yet to see any benefit to this bi-annual dance from one clock to the next. Granted there may have been some benefit in the old days (before LED lights), but I sure would like to know what this arrangement does for us now and if nothing, how we can get rid of it (other than making Darrell the supreme ruler, which would therefore make me the "Grand Pooba").

Darell

Flashaholic
One thing is immediately clear. I need to capitalize "Supreme Ruler." Otherwise it seems to take second seat to "Grand Pooba" and that just isn't right.

Just found three more clocks to set today: Two in cameras and one in my PDA. What will I find tomorrow?

How much productivity is wasted twice a year on missed appointments, etc. do you suppose? Set the clock at whatever time makes the most people happy, and just LEAVE IT THERE. grrr...

Spork

Enlightened
ah you all make life so complicated. I have my computer clock, cell phone, wrist watch, and a battery powered alarm clock. they all set themselves for time changes except for my wrist watch. My alarm clock will sync itself to atomic time once a day. When I get my own house all my clocks will auto sync and adjust themselves so I don't have to mess with them. they have reasonably priced atomic wall clocks with the hands.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
All this hi-tec stuff sounds well & good, but what I need help with is.....How do I reset my sun dial??
confused.gif
TX

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bigwuss:
Oh darn, i thought it said "spring head"
grin.gif
wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I first posted this topic, somehow the "l" got left out of "clocks".
tongue.gif
blush.gif
tongue.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bigwuss:
If you lived on a farm how would you set your rooster to go off an hour earlier?
confused.gif
wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Easy... grind up some of those "little blue pills" in its food.
grin.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
I am with Darell. Why do we still do this? Granted I like the extra light in the evening, because I am not a morning person, but come on. I want to live in Hawaii, they don't change their clocks, some other states don't, but I don't remember which ones.

I vote we make Darell supreme ruler so he can get us all EV's and fix this clock thing
wink.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you lived on a farm how would you set your rooster to go off an hour earlier?
confused.gif
wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I've lived on a farm. You don't pay any attention to the time. You get up before the sun comes up, & you go in when it's too dark to see to do anything else. TX

Darell

Flashaholic
Yeah, farms and babies respond about the same way. They REALLY don't care what time the clock says.

Seems that most people want more light in the evening. I'm good with that. Let's set 'em ahead and leave them there all year! Many studies show a slight energy savings by having light longer into the evenings. So if that is true (and since that was the original reason we did it - following the Germans who followed Ben Franklin), why the heck would we ever set the time back in the winter? Just to bug me, I'll bet.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dislike the acclamation period as well but love the extra light at night and I don't want it to get light any earlier in the summer morning then it already does. I would leave it that way but if that happened, here in eastern New England, it wouldn't get light until after eight in the morning during the winter. Still OK with me but probably not so hot for walking school kids. Depending on how close you lived to the time lines, it affects different parts of the country differently.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back in the 70's during the energy crisis the pols tried to save energy by having year round DST.

Mothers throughout the northern part of the country were livid because they didn't want to send their kids to school in the winter in the dark. (Forget that they came home in the dark.)

If we had LED headlamps and high output small rechargeable lights back then maybe the kids would have told their mom's how much fun they were having, and we wouldn't have to change.

I live in a gated community (in paranoid Southern California) where the gate code is changed semiannually on Spring Forward Day and Fall Back Day. I never remember the new number. If I don't have my electric gate opener I'm SOL unless my wife is at home activate the gate. Thus, I'm doubly inconvenienced by the time changes.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sasha:
The solution to the problem is to move to Arizona...
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AAH, one of the three good things about Arizona. Other than some really good Mineral collecting sites and Fry's Electronics in Phoenix, I regret every minute I have spent in that State.