surefire L1 or L2 new member

kutskova

Newly Enlightened
hello all, new member, great informative site! wanted some opinions on the L1,L2 surefires. general purpose would be: walking dog sometimes in the woods, around house, and yard, possible work use, dark attics, basements, ect. from my research, L1 out throws the L2, but L2 has more overall output.... should i just get both? thats my greed talking :) thanks in advance!

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello kutskova and welcome to CPF:)

The CPF basic idea is: get both:grin2: But I would start with the L2. When you feel the need for a brighter one, I'm pretty sure, you will find a lot of lights here (brighter and with more throw than both) which you will set on you wish list.

Best regards

____
Tom

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Though I actually like the L1 a lot, it sounds like the L2 will fit the bill for you. It's a little long, but other than that you can't go wrong.

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the forum, kutskova.

I would also recommend the L2 for the uses you mentioned. It puts out a wide wall of light for walking outside at night and has a low level for most other tasks.

I have both, but got the L2 first and never regret getting it. Good luck with your decision. :)

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got an L2 and love it. I would say it will be my only Surefire for a while but it is a great floody type of light and the brightest of my bunch.

redskins38

Newly Enlightened
I cant speak for the L2 but i have an L1 with an FO4 on it and that light gets the job done. You have flood but when you need it u can just pop off theF04 and you have spot.

arty

Enlightened
I often like to use the L1 for walking my dog. He tends to lick and chomp at stuff that is gross.

The low on the L1 lets me see what he is up to without lighting up the entire neighborhood. I don't want to disturb people with my lights, and the high is fine for alerting drivers to my presence while crossing.

I have a dark walk - few street lights and so lower light levels are fine.
I use the F04 beamshaper on the L1 - you need it. I have brighter flashlights, but the L1 works fine. In the summer, I often used my Fenix L2T on low.

The momentary switch is easy to use on the L1, even with heavy gloves.

The L2 is tempting, but you don't need the high level of light for walking around my neighborhood at night.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the L2 and really love it. It's a great light. I've never seen or used an L1, so I can't comment on that--but, like you say, info seems to indicate better throw than L2.

But, for the uses you indicate, I actually use my A2, although the L2 would also work.

You certainly won't go wrong with any of these lights, though, however you choose.

FWIW.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
i agree with js, i like the l2 but prefer the a2, if you could only get the l2 or l1 i would get the l2 but i think you need to take a close look at the a2.

hope you find your light!

ScottyJ

Enlightened
I have an L2, it is a great light. The low beam seems to work for just about anything (plenty of light for walking) and the high beam puts out a ton of light when you need it. It is a bit long for my liking as far as an every day cary light, but then again, I don't think you asked about that.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome kutskova! It'a hard choice to make. I have an L1,L2 and an A2.I think any
of the three would serve you well, just make sure if you get an L1 to get a F04
beamshaper for it . The L1 will last a lonnggg time on low also. Have fun!

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend the L2 which is a great two level light

dimlight

Newly Enlightened
i have had my l2 for 5 weeks now and i love it. i just had to put new batt's in it. at first i didn't like it to much,because i missed the throw of my streamlight tl-3. now this is the light that sleeps with me.it lights up the whole room i mean the whole room. you can't go worng with the l2. if you have the money for both i would DO IT.

Last edited: