CD--Torch Stand

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't it annoying when your torch doesn't have an indented head, so that when you stand it on end, no light escapes, making it hard to locate in the dark, when illuminated.

I have discovered that if you place such a torch, (not too powerful) head downwards, onto the clear / shiny side of a CD / DVD, you get a nice effect.

Basically, the light glows from the centre ring, and from around the edge of the CD, nice effect, just enough to slightly illuminate, and to make the torch easier to locate.

Main use, somewhere to place the torch whilst on the loo. CD on windowsill.

It works best when the torch is placed over the central hole, CD shiny side up.

It also works very effectively if you use the clear spacer "CD" packed with tubs & spindles.

And of course, the CD can also be used as a drinks coaster.

Last edited:

ICUDoc

Enlightened
Hi abvidledUK
Hence the cool bezel crenellations which look so aggressive when taken to extremes!

Just one question- where is the CD that holds the torch while you are in the loo?
On the ground?
On the cistern?
Other?

MikeHunt79

Newly Enlightened
I just tried it with a clear spacer CD and it looks great. Nice tip. What would look cool if the CD's were on the wall and they lit up on a lightswitch. :)

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neat trick. Good point about being careful what type of torch you put on there. I thought my L2 on hi would give a great effect but not for long though. Plus it has a slightly crenulated bezel so not as neat anyway. P1 is good.

Galiphrey

Enlightened
I cut a sheet of plexiglass to fit the top of my wooden nightstand to protect it from being scratched. A flashlight head-downwards on that does a similar thing--it sends light through the plexiglass to the edges. Looks neat.