CREE Driver Options?

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Photon Fanatics,

I am really new to the LED thing, so I hope that I am not breaking any rules/crossing any lines for asking, but...

What is everyone using to drive the CREE XR-E? Since it has a lower Vf and higher current rating than most of the LEDs currently in use, it seems like there would have to be some revisions to an existing driver to get the advertised output. Am I missing something obvious? I am not looking for schematics exactly (unless of course you want to share :) ), but more of an "I use this IC", or "I use a this set-up".

I have been wading through a lot of datasheets, and the best IC that I have found is the MAX1703. Great efficiency, SOIC package, on-board PWM and a lot of other features that I would likely ignore (but others may find useful).

I have built two of the Zetex 300 circuits, and am really pleased with the results. Now, it is time to give something else a shot. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Derek

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
by now I am thinking of the ususal Badboy-board with individualized stages (by mounting off the board resistors and a switch)
hope this will work as with the luxeons.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
frank777 said:
I am using this battery with no regulation. Works great.

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.a...ROD&ProdID=138

What kind of run time do you get on DD? How quickly does the intensity fade?

glire said:
MAX1797, simpler than MAX1703.

I actually have two MAX1797 ICs on the work bench. I know that they have pin selectable voltages of 3.3 and 5, but I haven't studied up on whether I could coax 700mV out of them. My reason for looking at the MAX1703 is that it can generate up to 1.5A in PWM mode (and it requires no external FET switch).

Thanks for the replies.

Derek