Cheap present needed!!!

cyberspyder

Enlightened
i have a christmas dinner/party coming up, and we are doing a present exchange. i thought it would be neat to get a small knife or flashlight, since i'm part of a boy scout group. any options?

stuff that i am considering:

-Photon/Photon knockoffs
-Maxam mini lockblade
-Victorinox Classic/Classic SD
-Streamlight Keymate

Brendan

flash_bang

Enlightened
if you wanna get them a flashlight, consider a maglite with an led drop in from Nite Ize

MG_Saldivar

Newly Enlightened
If you have about 3 weeks, you can get a lot of great stuff at Fifth Unit -- they have a great reputation here at CPF and sell cheap because they're in Hong Kong (which is also why their shipping to the US takes a couple of weeks). Their customer services is great, too.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Stormstaff said:
How cheap is cheap?

I'm thinking bright aluminum River Rock 2AAA with Black carry-clip.... It just looks upper-class!

$9.99 at Target.

Cheaper than that, you risk getting cheap quality along with price.

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the Fenix E1 for a gift light. Price is what you need to clarify so as to find the particular group of lights that are in the right ball park.

aceo07

Enlightened
fifthunit.com might take more than 3 weeks. If you don't want to risk it, you might want to consider something else. If you had 4 weeks or more, then I'd consider it. I ordered on 10/15/06. Still waiting. I know I'll get it, but it'll take a while. Maybe next week.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
LumenHound said:
Check out the stuff at J2ledflashlight.com.
The monthly specials may be of interest.
His CPF specials page.
http://www.j2ledflashlight.com/specials.html
If you need more than 2 phone him for a volume discount. Jim Jang (416) 937-7107. You can also do a pickup at his store in the Woodbine area. (recommended because Nuwais come in HUGE blister packages)

Monocrom said:
I'm thinking bright aluminum River Rock 2AAA with Black carry-clip.... It just looks upper-class!

$9.99 at Target.

Cheaper than that, you risk getting cheap quality along with price.
No Target stores in Canada. Had to get mine on B/S/T.
The Nuwai TM-310H at J2 is the same light but 1AAA long and more pocketable.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
For $8 shipped you can have your pick of most used Swiss Army Knives that Felinevet sells, such as #110, a Victorinox Climber in excellent condition... http://felinevet.sosakonline.com/

Or as Monocrom mentioned, you can get for around $10 at Target, the River Rock 0.5W 2AAA flashlight (not waterproof).

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

wmirag

Enlightened
I recommend giving Photon Freedom lights which can be had for $12 or less. They are so small that even chicks will carry them. So it is a gift that will be USED. And, though an inexpensive gift, it is a super-high quality item, the best of the coin cell lights IMHO.

As for a knife, I EDC the SAK MiniChamp. It has a pen and lots of other goodies. It's VERY small so people will USE them. These can be found discounted for about $20. Again, an inexpensive gift BUT an excellent quality gift.

I have given away many of both items above and they have been well received AND well used!

W.

thunderlight

Enlightened
Some additional possibilities / hope I'm not repeating any:

Swiss Army Version of the 2xAAA Inova Radiant. I like my 2xAA Swiss Army version and since the 2xAAA Radiant is a decent flashlight, the Swiss Army version is probably, at least, equivalent. Presumably available under $20.

One of the PaLights, I like the SafeLight Companion and the E-Lite if it is still available. I know the local Cabelas in West Phoenix has a number of these in a package that includes a lanyard, a traffic cone, and a 9 volt battery.

If you can find the recessed LED Sonic, this may be another possibility.