Advantages, Disadvantages, LED's and Incandescents...?

cutlerylover

Banned
Hey guys...I am still trying to gte the basic info on lights and whats good about them and whats bad so I can buy the ones that will fit me best...So here we go with the slew of questions...lol

What are the advantages and disadvantages of a LED light and an Incandescent light?

Maybe a list for both kinds? All I know right now is that LEDs can last alot longer on battery power than an incandescent light but at the expense of light output...and I read the current Surefire catalog and it shows that LEDs can have up to a maximum output of 100 Lumens, and an incandescent can have a maximum output of about 500 lumens and an HID up to 3000...I was wondering since I don't use a flashlight for long periods of time but bursts here and there so I figure it would be good to keep say an LED light in my car for emergency type situation where I would need the batteries to last long, but as an EDC I am lookign for the brightest light I can afford...Make sense?

I just wanted to know what other factors I should compare when picking a light...Any info is appreciated, Thanks!

cutlerylover

Banned
Thanks...thats a good start! I noticed that LED's have more of a true white color or even white/blue but the incandescents have more of a natural color...? I mean when I use my maxfire LX I see things as they would normally appear (colors and such) but when I use my Dorcy 1AAA LED I see things differently, that pure white look, I am not sure whats better? The incandescent seems to be easier on my eyes? Anyone else feel this way?

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer LED's, longer runtimes, no bulb to replace and generally smaller size lights. Tints don't worry me too much and the LED technology is advancing at a great rate with more and more efficient LED's coming out all the time.

Again though this is a personal preference.

cutlerylover

Banned
Thanks concept for your imput...I like your avatar, lol, I use to have that one a while ago on a knife forum but I photoshopped a knife in the monkeys hand...lol

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pro's

LED:

bulb never blows
longer runtime
better for indoor use
can be made brighter in a small package (1AA,1AAA)

INCAN:

possibility of huge output that LED can't really match
better color rendering
more throw

Personally I like LED's more, but I have a few nice Incans as well. I buy Incans that offer more output than any LED could match and still be a useful light.

EV_007

Enlightened
I like LEDs for their form factor, small size, low power usage and durability.
I find them best suited for indoor applications or used at close range outdoors.

Incans work best outdoors for me. They cut through fog and rain better than LEDs. They seem to render color and contrast better to me and the output and throw far outmatches the current LEDs, thus far. A newer generation of LEDs are starting to look promising though.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
cutlerylover,

Since it sounds like you are requesting this information to help choose an EDC for yourself, perhaps you could mention some other criteria such as what battery type, how many cells, pocket clip, multiple levels, runtime, size, price range, how you prefer to carry it, etc for CPFers to help give you ideas. The reason I mention this is because if you are asking about the difference between incandescent and LED on a single CR123a, then LED wins, but with 3 cell lights it is a different scenario. So, what other features might you be looking for in an EDC? :)

Last edited:

cutlerylover

Banned
jlowe2 said:
hi cutlerylover.

Hello :grin2:

leukos said:
cutlerylover,

Since it sounds like you are requesting this information to help choose an EDC for yourself, perhaps you could mention some other criteria such as what battery type, how many cells, pocket clip, multiple levels, runtime, size, price range, how you prefer to carry it, etc for CPFers to help give you ideas. The reason I mention this is because if you are asking about the difference between incandescent and LED on a single CR123a, then LED wins, but with 3 cell lights it is a different scenario. So, what other features might you be looking for in an EDC? :)

Good point ok well yes I am considering all of this to pick out an EDC, I will be using this EDC light in very sort bursts like I said, it will be used to walk to my car in the morning (sometimes I leave early when it is still dark and I live in a wooded area and I need to keep an eye out for bears) I would also use this light to walk to my house from ym car when arriving home after dark for the same reason...I also take my dogs out at night before I go to bed so I would say high output and throw is what I really looking for in an EDC, as far as size doesn't matter since I don't have to carry it on me per say, It will be used at home most of the time, for the dogs, and I can leave it in the car...I like smaller lights for their compact size, but I understand as the package gets smaller the prices goes up, lol for similar power anyway...I already have a small Dorcy 1AAA LED that I use indoors to find things behind the couch and things that fall under the desk and tasks along those lines...But in the time that it took for me to type all of this I realize that I think I need a good incandescent for an EDC! Oh as far as a pocket clip, I would love that but again I realize there probably isn't going to be one avaliable on bigger lights...Batteries? Well I like the advantages on the cr123s, but I like the avaliability on the D cells...but if I had to pick it would be something simple like D cells although im not just limited to that...

ANW

Newly Enlightened
I'm like most, each has their advantage/disadvantage in their applications. I was a die hard incandecent guy when I joined, but as I read more on here I learned the value of LEDs. I usually carry or have very handy one or the other at all times now. Like most i love LEDs indoors and never worry about breaking a bulb if droped and they are great to use to get the last bit of energy out of batterie that no longer power incandecents. As far as incandecents go, I love them for outdoors, especially camping, exploring, and the color rendetion is close to that of the suns in the human eye. Sounds like you need or should consider an A2, it's the best of both worlds, I use mine daily. I have a mixture of Incandecent and LEDs in my collection and find both equally valueable at any time when you really need it most, never can have to few of either at hand. Good luck with your decision ,but either way you go you won't be wrong in your choice.

cutlerylover

Banned
Thanks...I am sure over time and after being a member on here as long as I can find the funds to feed my knife addiction and have some left over money for flashlights I will being buying both LED's and Incandescent lights, its just a matter of buying them I already have a "what I want" list lol...I will look into the A2, thanks for the suggestion...

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you need a small but bright LED for EDC and a bigger incan (or very warm tinted LED) for walking the dogs. My Striker VG out throws a few of my incans and has a nice warm tint compared to other LEDs (better for outdoors), but not all VG's have that tint, so an incan is probably still your best bet - no Luxeon lottery.
The SF A2 is great having the best of both worlds (and one of the only regulated incans), but is expensive.

cutlerylover

Banned
Yeah, I think I will just ahve to save up for an A2...I saw them go for $200 most palces but I did find a few palces that ahs them for $140 + so I will have to start a flashlight fund...lol I will scrape all my pennies together and see if I have some money left over after buying Christmas presents for the family this year,a nd hopefully I can afford to get one sometime in the near future! :twothumbs

Zot

Enlightened
If a pocket sized light is not imortant, you like D cells, and need a good light for an affordable price, you might want to check out the new Maglite Led D cell lights. You can find a 4 D cell Mag Led at Home Depot for around $30.

They get a good review at Flashlight reviews:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_mag-led.htm

They have pretty good throw and overall output...
even better than the equavalent Mag Lite incandescent versions!
And they will last 20X or more longer on the same batteries.

cutlerylover

Banned
What do you guys think about the Streamlight Twin Task 2D? This seems to be a cheaper version of the Surefire A2? Maybe less power, but for the price I don't mind...what are your thoughts? Any of you have this one, if so how do you like it?

Newuser01

Enlightened
Hello! Everyone and cutlerylover!!

From what I've heard so far, You can not go wrong with [font=arial , helvetica] Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon.

About 25 dollars, search on this forum with SL PP LUX and you will get many hits from happy CPF members's posts!

Read up on it and I think that it will serve you well! Get a set of Nimh batteries and a charger for free lumens....

Enjoy!

Noob:dedhorse::dedhorse:
[/font]
trans_1x1.gif

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
cutlerylover said:
What do you guys think about the Streamlight Twin Task 2D? This seems to be a cheaper version of the Surefire A2? Maybe less power, but for the price I don't mind...what are your thoughts? Any of you have this one, if so how do you like it?

I think you will be disappointed with the throw and output of the Twin Task. Cutlerylover, I think unless you are willing to part with the idea of using D cells, your best option might be what Zot recommended and going for a MagLED. It seems D cells are not very popular among flashaholics for several reasons: they are heavy, large, and alkaline. Alkaline cells have less than desirable discharge curves and poor cold-weather performance, see FR's runtime graph: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_3d.htm. If you haven't already, you might want to snoop around that site and browse many of his informative articles. The suggestion of the A2 is a good one, probably comparable to the Sebenza in the knifeworld; it has subtle qualities that many flashaholics love, but gives others sticker shock. But there are many, many other good lights that could fit your requirements, most of them would probably be more than adequate. If you would like to use rechargeable lights, there are the Pila and Wolfeyes lines, plus many lights that will use rechargeables (Li-ions) without any modification, such as the SF 9P and SL TL3. Given what you said already, I'm sort of leaning towards the TL3 with two 17500 Li-ions as a good starter light for you. Take a look at some flashlight reviews and give us some more perimeters. :)