How many lights do we really need, NOT WANT

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have alot of lights but some are never used.

Here is the way I see it.

Personal Daily Carry:

A Surefire E-2 or 9z depending on mode of dress and weather. For bright light little use needs until something better comes along.

An Arc-LS with 123 pack for General Duty.

Switch between an Arc-AAA and Arc-LS using old batteries in single AAA, AA, 123 formats. Select by which you have greatest quantity of. This light should be used most, step up to the first two as needed.

Specialized carry: Backpacking:

4.5 volt Petzel Headlamp with Tikka threaded into the band for hands free duty.

Arc-AAA for commonality with Tikka's batteries and for use for many utility functions when both hands are not needed.

Arc-LS with single AA pack for commonality with battery commonality with GPS and for use as the workhorse of the trip.

Remember, we are traveling lite since we are carrying two weeks of stuff on our person.

Special situation Carry: Something went bump in the night:

12ZM with an E2 chaser.

In the Truck: remember, we have our personal lights as well.

2 Arc-LS's with all of the battery packs including custom C and D packs so we can use most batteries available and resupply easily. We also might need to have lights for others. The multiple packs will also allow us to economize on batteries. This Arc car kit will be the workhorse of the truck.

A headlamp for use when both hands are needed, not sure which headlamp should be the Truck headlamp.

A 12ZM on the hump mounted in clips for fast access to something really bright.

On the visor. An Arc-LS with 2 AA pack for convenient general use. An Arc-AAA and Arc-LS with 1 AA for convenient economical use when less light is needed.

A powerfull large battery spotlight behind the seat for when high output and longer runtime than the 12ZM can provide is needed and your not in a hurry.

A freeplay light and shortwave radio behind the seat for in case Armageddon occurs while you are out.

A set of lights matching your daily carry set in the glove box in case you lose something in your personal carry inventory while out.

you might note that there are quite a few LS heads by the time you add up whats on your person, the visor, and the truck kit. You never know if you might need several marker candles.
The Home:remember, you have your personal lights and the truck outside:

Lots of pretty brass or wood flashlights 1927 and earlier to make the place pretty.

Rechargable Streamlight at each exit and in every room for general use.

A light in every common battery configuration just in case. Many of these configurations will have been already met.

Super bright spotlight just because.

12ZM for the bump in the night with E2 or 9Z chaser.

Full Arc-LS set with Custom Single C and D holders for general use and powerfailures to use up single batteries. Also want lots of heads in case you want to set up single AA, C, and D, candles around the house.

Some of the Custom LS lights in C and D configuration for the times when you want an economical light but need more light than the Arc-LS but do not want to feed SureFires.

What more do you really need in a Battery of personal, home, and car lights?

It seems you do not need to deal with that many companies to get all of this.

Arc for the bulk of your high grade utilty needs.

SureFire for specialized bright lights.

Petzel for headlamps.

Streamlight for rechargables.

Some Company for a truck and home spotlight.

The Mod Men for special Arc Battery packs, and bright LS based utility Lights.

Ebay for Antique lights to look good in the house.

Did I miss anything? Any holes in my thinking here? See you don't need that many lights. Any other lights you might get are just wants.

Oh, I did forget one more catagory of need lights. Dog lights. You need Arc-AAA heads on a AA body to put on dog collars in a blue, green, or turqouise color and Photon 3 in red or a Photon Raving light. This is so doggies can be seen at night. The Arc hitting the ground and bouncing plus the flashing Photon should put on a good show.

Oppps, Weapon lights: You need a Surefire light on your Home defense Shotgun and Rifle. Not so sure on the handgun. You also need a modern version of the Brute for added security.

Ok, I ask again. What more do you realy need? Want is another question.

Saaby

Flashaholic
How many do we need? Depends on who you ask. I think that for people posting here though it is the same answer given when a billianare (I don't remember which one but this is true) was asked how much money was enough.

He responded, and I think we all can agree, "Just a little more" so in anser to your question, "One more"

Not trying to get all phycological on you here, but think about it. You could get all those lights you list and you'd likely find other places that were lacking in the light department...Soon you'd start rotating your stock so to speak, start selling the old lights on eBay and get the latest and greatest to replace them.

Or not. If not then I think you've covered every situation I had thought of off the top of my head.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
actually I agree with you. It was being a bit facitous. I thought my need lights became a rather large inventory of lights but from just a handful of companies.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
boy if only I had that small of a number of lights. I have a lot but find that most of them never see any use at all. The need lights would all see use at sometime or another though. I need to someday start cutting inventory.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
grin.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I had to pick the lights I needed, it would be my 3 EDC lights: ARC CPF Sp, around my neck; ARC LS w/123 in my watchpocket; & SF E2 in my pocket. Then I'd have to have a light with plenty of close output & run time like my Blaster. For the last light it would have to be a long throw light & I'ld probably pick my US. A headlamp would be nice, but not a "really need" light. TX

jmm

Newly Enlightened
Need 173 (want 1,428 including same type backups of the needed lights). I can't find a Graemlin for an appropriate "dead serious" face.

John

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I think I need all of my lights, but if I really had to "make do" with a minimum number of lights, I could probably get by with just the SureFire E2/E2e and a Photon II or III. I'm talking day-to-day stuff, and not for tactical or "professional" use.

For major power outages and/or emergencies, I would also keep a couple of battery-operated lanterns and/or spotlights. Oh, and I really do need lots and lots of batteries.

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
NECRO BUMP SUNDAY!!!

Honestly I only need a: primary EDC, backup light, home light & light for the car. The rest are for pleasure:D,, excuse me, for tools:devil:

nbp

Flashaholic
Don't let 'em give ya crap Nick. ;)

How come this thread only got like 5 replies when it was first posted? And then completely buried all those years. Huh. Well JSB might be interested to see it pop back up.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The answer is 9.

1~ Large torch that has a ton of output, geared for throw.
2~ Same as #1, but geared for flood.
3~ Single AAA keychain light for EDC.
4~ Coin-cell light = Hand to loved one during emergency.
5~ headlamp.
6~ Multi-mode light for handling variety of tasks.
7~ Pocket friendly AA or CR123 light for when AAA light is not bright enough.
8~ LED lantern for home use in case of emergency.
9~ Hand-held spotlight for when you need more than a ton of output.

Everything else is just a luxury.

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
I guess he just noticed the endless complaining about people making new threads instead of posting in old ones?:ohgeez:

LOL!

As for the thread question - to be truly serious the answer is zero.

Since I'm not a caver, LEO, etc it's pretty hard to imagine a situation where "No Flashlight = I am completely 100% screwed".

Of course that doesn't mean I never hit situations of "I am GLAD I carry a flashlight".....

jellydonut

Enlightened
I see the thread got to live its rightful life - how sweet:nana: I guess I can put in my two cents now.

One Malkoff M60 or M61 in whichever 2 or 3 cell host - for general use.
One more - in case the other one breaks, disappears or gets eaten by bears.
Aaaand one more in case the bear gets hungry again.

The rest are really just for fun, and because I can dagnabbit.:naughty:

I'm not an LEO or anything but I do need a light for work. I still don't HAVE to have my own, lights are provided.. It's just that they suck something fierce.

computernut

Enlightened
I say 5 lights:
1 - EDC in your pocket, on your belt, etc.
2 - Secondary EDC, ie. keychain light, etc.
3 - Headlamp
4 - Close-range light for lighting trail in front of you or close-up work
5 - Thrower

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
old thread indeed. ok i say one more.

realistically: 4-20 of them.

4 different main lights for specific tasks, edc: tiny and bigger, loaner/beater, and the big one.

then backups to these. +3-4.

and then couple special purpose lights like headlamp, lantern, and location specific ones, glovebox, around the house, toolbox etc.
+4-8

and few in different battery chemistry than the main user edc lights are. so you have atleast 2 of each battery type. so that one of your lights in that batterytype is singlecell and other either single or multicell. +4

then comes the "wants" hahah.