Can't seem to find what I really want

hamhanded

Enlightened
I can't seem to find what I really want in an EDC light. I have a lot of lights that come really close, but nothing that's exact.

If you know of something that meets these criteria exactly, please let me know.

- Two mode: high and low, always comes on high (no memory)
- Mechanical, forward click switch
- Single cell voltage: 123, 16350, or 16650
- CRI ≥90
- Tight hotspot with a bit of spill

The closest I've come to this is the 300 lumen model E1B Backup (discontinued). The only thing it's missing is CRI ≥90. Otherwise perfect.
Second closest is Malkoff's MD2, which is missing the desired spill. It could be said that the hi/lo ring is a memory, but I'm actually OK with it.

Please let me know what you'd recommend.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't seem to find what I really want in an EDC light. I have a lot of lights that come really close, but nothing that's exact.

If you know of something that meets these criteria exactly, please let me know.

- Two mode: high and low, always comes on high (no memory)
- Mechanical, forward click switch
- Single cell voltage: 123, 16350, or 16650
- CRI ≥90
- Tight hotspot with a bit of spill

The closest I've come to this is the 300 lumen model E1B Backup (discontinued). The only thing it's missing is CRI ≥90. Otherwise perfect.
Second closest is Malkoff's MD2, which is missing the desired spill. It could be said that the hi/lo ring is a memory, but I'm actually OK with it.

Please let me know what you'd recommend.
Perhaps not your cup of tea, but I went with the latest Elzetta Alpha Gen 3 (16340/CR123 w/hi-lo tailcap and 'standard' optic and bezel), and am happy with it for all-around carry. It lacks truly 'high CRI', but has a very useful, quality 4500 K CT output, and does most everything well for my needs. Good 'all-rounder' IMO. It's pretty well-documented on their site, w/ output graphs (2), output photos, etc.

Last edited:
You might consider the Foursevens Quark QK16L.
The light runs on a single 16650 cell.
Nichia 319a emitter.
Color temp 400K.
90+ CRI.
User-programmable modes...you want Hi and Low only, you got 'em. (OK, almost, the light can be programmed H-M-L.)
Mechanical switch.

Definitely worth a look.