noob question

Tango

Newly Enlightened
I recently started looking around the LED area of this site having tried a friends flashlight and thought I might get an LED myself (always used incans up til now) and reading about different flashlight specs got a bit confused.

What in very simple terms i sthe difference between the differnet "bins" I've been reading about such as TY0J and UX1K?

Christexan

Enlightened
In simplest terms "brightness"; "Tint"; and "Voltage" are the main 3 bin factors folks here look at...

Visit this site for Luxeon binning details (Cree and others have their own methods, similar, visit the respective websites for details...

http://lumileds.com/pdfs/AB21.pdf

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
In simple terms, The BIN codes contain three details. How bright they are, the tint ( Pure white, yellowish, greenish, blueish, etc ) and the optimum voltage to run it at.

You can exceed the binned voltage and it will be brighter but the life of the LED will be cut.

People like different tints for different reasons. Pure white is bright but does not show colours as well as a slightly yellowish tint.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Most times you don't *need* to know bin codes. A good real introduction to fairly inexpensive, yet good and bright LED lights would be to get a Fenix, from Fenix-Store.com. My personal favorite is the L2T, which is around the same size as a Maglite Mini 2AA