Nuwai Q3 TM-303X Cree XR-E Mod

mosport

Enlightened
Spent some time messing around with P2 bin XRE's trying to figure out the focus and came up with this budget mod using the stock reflector. The only previous mod needed is an upgraded heatsink with platform. Either the machined copper/aluminum ones, homemade $1.02 plumbing copper type or soldered pennies on stock aluminum ring will work fine as long as there's an platform to attach the emitter. If the heatsink has been upgraded, then your light has been dismantled before and you'll already be familliarized for these following steps.

To enlarge the opening for the XRE to pass through, the reflector was removed from the bezel and filed down in a bench vise until the step was almost flush, then deburred to remove any aluminum shavings. I stopped filing as soon as the hole was large enough for the XRE to fit inside, but might try removing more material to experiment with the focal point.

With the Q3's reflector threaded into the top bezel piece, it doesn't need to touch or rest on the emitter. This allows for up/down adjustment of the emitter - reflector focal point :grin2:

Next step was to make a foam donut for the heatsink underside, punched these out of furniture pads from a dollar store (3/4" OD) and attached. With this piece acting as a simple spring between the driver board and heatsink, the retaining ring can control the emitter to reflector height for tuning focus. The purpose of the foam donut is to also add height since it was originally made for use with a Luxeon star (also great because I'm lazy and don't feel like making another heatsink that's taller :sssh: ). I epoxied the XRE directly to the copper this time around (underside contacts isolated with a paint pen). Also had to make another insulator from a thin piece of plastic to rest between the metal ring and the grounded metal reflector to avoid shorting out the +ve emitter wire.

Here's the results using a FLuPIC on burst mode @ +1A current, beamshot taken approx 2m from wall with white balance locked. There's a small crescent shaped shadow barely visable at 5 o'clock where the hotspot blends into the corona, hopefully this can be tuned out by playing with the emitter position. Throw is improved over the previous U-bin setup and spill is much stronger than before, making this a nice pocket rocket (sorry for the subjective descriptions, wish I had a luxmeter for comparisons!). This one will mostly be used as a bike headlight mounted with a TwoFish Lockblock.

Hope this mod is useful to all the Q3 owners out there, should work equally well with 2 stage switch setups on the original driver and 123 primaries.

-----------
Added Info:

Disassembled again to add more Arctic Silver and measured the height for my beam setting.

Total height from driver board to emitter platform is 11.45mm inclusive. The FLuPIC accounts for 1.30mm, please adjust add/subtract according to your driver board's thickness. If using a star or round base, that will need to be subtracted as well.

Also installed is a 22.2 x 1.5mm mineral lens with o-ring. The original plastic lens is the same thickness, but I think the new o-ring might be slightly taller. Minor adjustments may be required for your setup.
-----------

Happy modding :rock:

Derek

Last edited:

mosport

Enlightened
Here's the comparison with a stock HDS B42 on max (left).

img0976tu3.jpg

Ganp

Enlightened
Hi Derek..:goodjob: looks like this is nicely focused and should throw well.

If you'r taking this MTBing off-road I'd be interested to know if you get enough spill, or are you combining it with something more floody?

Colin.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice mod. How did you handle the clearance from the base of the sanded down reflector to the top of the XR-E? The top electrical contacts when soldered to the leads must nearly touch the base of the reflector.
Interested how you handled this.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Derek, nice job! You beat me to it. I have a similar mod planned. I checked out the Q3 reflector last night with the XR-E and it looked pretty good.

Paul

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
dang... very nice... a flu-pic'd q3 with an XR-E.... :drool:

mosport

Enlightened
Thanks everyone :)

Focus is almost there Ganp, it's free from any visible artifacts but could benefit from minor tuning to get everything spot on. With the weather getting colder I'm not on the bike as much anymore, this setup will be my main light for sprinting around and the FLuPIC is great for adjustable brightness settings. For very dark trails there should be sufficient throw and side spill for quick riding, but maybe I should build an XRE clustered bikelight combining flood and spot beams over the winter? If the weather is dry this weekend I'll take some trail pics, just wish the grass and leaves weren't brown because WG or V1 tint would work best on green.

The big Q3 aka mother should be just moddable Gnufsh, just be careful if using two R123's with a FLuPIC since the voltage will be too high.

You're right Anglepoise, clearance is very tight between the XRE top pads and reflector underside! To avoid shorting out, cut up a plastic package's window into a small piece approximately the dia of a AAA battery, then made a hole with a metal punch. This slips over the XRE metal ring snugly to cover up the electrical contacts from grounding on the metal reflector. Try to use the thinnest rigid plastic available, also considered using clear nailpolish to coat the reflector underside but nixed that idea.

Looks like Nitroz beat us both Paul, he's already put his DD Cree XRE mod up for sale too! Hope you'll show us the finished mod when ready, your work is always top notch.

Once the sweet spot is dialed in exactly, I'll measure and cut up the stock aluminum spacer ring to replace the foam riser. Can't wait for the Q bins to arrive for some more modding... :sssh: :naughty:

Derek

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the extra details.
The QIII reflector is one of my favorites and IMHO is a great balance. I am delighted in the fact that it works with the XR-E.

These reflectors come up for sale from time to time and it is well worth getting a few for future projects.

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent!

I've been waiting for someone to try the Nuwai Cree upgrades, I have two of the XR-E's with the circular base. It looks like this will be a direct fit, just a height adjustment, and reflector mod...Is my thinking correct, and can I use a bone stock Q-3 or Big-Q driver?

TB

mosport

Enlightened
My pleasure David,

Others will also fit but you're right about the original reflector producing a smooth beam with nice hotspot size. Figured I could mess around with the stock one for free, if unsuccessful I could replace it with IMS 20mm, McR19 or McR20... but glad I don't have to!

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
mosport said:
Thanks everyone :)

Looks like Nitroz beat us both Paul, he's already put his DD Cree XRE mod up for sale too! Hope you'll show us the finished mod when ready, your work is always top notch.

Derek

I can't wait to get some Q3 LEDs and my piglet board from Goldserve to mod my other Nuwai QIII.

The direct drive QIII puts out alot of light for such a small light, mine pulls 1.1amps from a fresh battery and runs about 1hr and 10 minutes before dimming. I also changed the stock reflector with an IMS20 for an even tighter spot.

Nice work mosport!

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got finished modding my B42 with a Cree XR-E p3 and after modding and testing mcr-20, 18 , IMS20 , aluminum replacement reflector from multilevel chinese light and Q3 reflector. The Q3 reflector is hands down the best as Mosport has discovered. For all practical purposes I can't tell that the light isn't running a luxeon!

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
TranquillityBase said:
Excellent!

I've been waiting for someone to try the Nuwai Cree upgrades, I have two of the XR-E's with the circular base. It looks like this will be a direct fit, just a height adjustment, and reflector mod...Is my thinking correct, and can I use a bone stock Q-3 or Big-Q driver?

TB

TB
You should have no problem using the QIII electronics with the XR-E.

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anglepoise said:
TB
You should have no problem using the QIII electronics with the XR-E.
Thanks David...Do you know the drive level of the Q-3 circuit? I have two XR-E's from cmacclel, and the tint is really nice with these two Cree's...I can tell they need more juice though...I tested both leds with a BBGN 400, and it's not quite enough current for my liking.

TB

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
TranquillityBase said:
Thanks David...Do you know the drive level of the Q-3 circuit? I have two XR-E's from cmacclel, and the tint is really nice with these two Cree's...I can tell they need more juice though...I tested both leds with a BBGN 400, and it's not quite enough current for my liking.

TB

I am not 100% certain on this, but I believe the QIII has gone through a couple of board changes since its introduction. My unit is a very early example and I use a unprotected 700ma Rechargeable. When installed just off the charger at 4 volts, I believe my driver is unregulated and delivers just under 1 amp to the LED. As the voltage drops, a rather unsophisticated voltage regulator kicks in.

I probably have this all wrong, so someone please correct me if so......

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
The older Q3's that had the reverse clickie drove the emitters at around 450-500mA when powered by a 3.0 volt primary, while the newer Q3 that has the tactical clickie and different Vsense resistor drives the emitter up around 700mA on a 3.0 volt primary battery.

Chimo started a thread about the change of the Q3 driver boards back in August of last year.
You can find that thread with pictures of the different boards here.

mosport

Enlightened
Nitroz and TB, are you guys planning on using one of those machined sammie holders in the Q3? I've been thinking of picking up one of H22A's threaded adaptors to play with, after using the FLuPIC on burst mode I don't think I'd be satisfied with 400mA either :naughty:

Boards are pictured top to bottom, from oldest to most recent. Here's another small Q3 board difference, looks like some newer layout boards have the older inductor coil. The one pulled from my light is the current version with the stubby inductor. Factory probably wanted to use up all their old parts stock during the changeover.

img0985fj9.jpg

img0987uc9.jpg

img0989fr3.jpg

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
mosport,
I am not sure what I am going to do with my other QIII yet. I have another project in the works that will be using the piglet board. :sssh: