I love this forum, but now I have too much info...

Acropolis

Newly Enlightened
I have been using a 2AA Mag light and a 4C Mag light for over 15 years, I finally decided it's time to upgrade. I was at Bass Pro Shop and saw the Lightstream Scorpion and almost bought it for $30, but decided to come home and do some research.

Now for the problem - I found this forum. There is so much great info here, I have a ton of new questions.

I am really looking to replace my mini Mag first. I am looking for a very bright LED light that I can use rechargable batteries with. It doesn't have to be quite as small as the mini Mag, but I want it to be around the size of a SL Scorpion (maybe a bit longer would be ok). I want to take it hiking/camping, but will primarily use it on the trail.

I saw the Stream Light Task Light 2L (51008). My question is, can I use a rechargable battery with it? How bright is this light, and to what distance? I think where I am getting my facts confused is that so many manufacturers have models that are available in both LED and inc.

Thanks in advance,
Acropolis

Acropolis

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the links. I was checking out their recommendations for 3 and 5 watt LED flashlights. The two things I am still not sure of are 1) how far will these lights project on average? 2) Can I use the regulated rechargable batteries?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Rechargeable LED light? = Inova T4.

Review available on flashlightreviews.com

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using the Fenix flashlights that use aa or aaa with nimh rechargeable batteries and could't be happier.

HEY HEY ITS HENDO

Enlightened
Mundele said:
Streamlight Propolymer 4aa, the Luxeon version. Excellent light. Very reasonable. I run mine on NIMH AA rechargeables. Fully regulated so the brightness is constant. Excellent light.

Read more here:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_propolyluxeon.htm

Then go BUY ONE!!!

--Matt

D`oh .....................Mundele you beat me to it !!!! :)

this is great for camping and on the trails i will also highly recommend it

http://www.fox-intl.com/item.asp?id=338

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do a fair amount of backpacking in the dark, and find a headlamp to be much more convenient than a flashlight. You need something with a flood-like pattern, light weight, and long battery life. I've put quite a few miles on my Petzl Tikka+, and find it to be about ideal. I also use it for reading in the tent at night. A spare set or two of batteries (3-AAA) weighs very little and takes up very little room.

Occasionally, I do want to have a look farther away, so I've recently been looking for a very lightweight light with a lot of throw (that is, very bright beam). It doesn't have to have a long run time because of occasional use. A fairly narrow beamwidth is ok, but I once had a Pelican incandescent light that had too extreme a spot. But light weight and bright dictate a fairly narrow beam. So far the best I've found is the fenix P1. It weighs less than two ounces, is terrifically bright, has a nice -- surprisingly broad -- beam with good spill, and runs for about 2 hours on a CR123, or nearly an hour with a rechargeable battery. I love it, and don't think I can beat it with the lights currently available. A couple of other good ones I've found are the Mini-Mag 2AA LED light and the Nuwai X-3. Both of those use 2 AA cells and are larger and heavier than the fenix. You can find the Mini-Mag at a lot of retail stores.

Something like the Petzl Tikka XP headlamp looks like it can do both jobs, but maybe not quite as well as separate headlamp and flashlight. But if I wanted to limit myself to just one light for backpacking, I'd give it a careful look.

Good hunting!

c_c

Acropolis

Newly Enlightened
Is there an issue with using regulated rechargable batteries in an LED flashlight that doesn't come with them? I have read about burning up lights by using the wrong type of batteries, but I wasn't sure if that was just for incandescent, or just for unregulated rechargable batteries, or if it applies to any light.

Thanks,
Acropolis

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Acropolis, The Streamlight Tasklight 51008 2L3W is a great flashlight that will run on rechargeable RCR 123 3.0v, and 3.6v batteries (runs a little hot on the 3.6v). The throw is well over 100 feet. The 2 stage is great to have and the low level is is brighter than a mag 2aa. High level has a bright spot with decent sidespill.

You can buy it at Amazon for $54.00 shipped http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007A5XKA/ref=sr_11_1/002-0648998-5805634?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=228013

I buy the 3.0v batteries from batteryspace.com
Acropolis said:
I have been using a 2AA Mag light and a 4C Mag light for over 15 years, I finally decided it's time to upgrade. I was at Bass Pro Shop and saw the Lightstream Scorpion and almost bought it for $30, but decided to come home and do some research.

Now for the problem - I found this forum. There is so much great info here, I have a ton of new questions.

I am really looking to replace my mini Mag first. I am looking for a very bright LED light that I can use rechargable batteries with. It doesn't have to be quite as small as the mini Mag, but I want it to be around the size of a SL Scorpion (maybe a bit longer would be ok). I want to take it hiking/camping, but will primarily use it on the trail.

I saw the Stream Light Task Light 2L (51008). My question is, can I use a rechargable battery with it? How bright is this light, and to what distance? I think where I am getting my facts confused is that so many manufacturers have models that are available in both LED and inc.

Thanks in advance,
Acropolis

X Racer

Enlightened
I think you would love the new Inova X0 with the reflector. Its an incredible light for a reasonable price (~$39). It will do everything you want and is far brighter and more durable than the minimag. Only thing is that it does not accept Li-Ion rechargeables. You can buy them from online vendors or the nearest Target store.

Ledacholic Anonymous

Newly Enlightened
Inova XO is great. I love mine. Its quality is a few steps above fenix. We have to wait 16mm width Li-ion as it is a very tight fit with the 17mm. Anyone know where to get 16mm battery, PM me please.