high dome in low dome optic?

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
how does a high dome emitter act in an optic designed for a low dome emitter?
thanks

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on which optic. I'm challenged in trying to answer this question because I'm not sure I remember correctly which optic was designed for which emitter.

I think the NX01 and NX05 were desingend for LD. I think the Frean LP was desinged for the HD. I believe the NX01 was "rediscovered" as being good for the LuxIII emitter and being better than the NX05 as is the Frean LP. I like the Carlco 6 degree.

Timely question considering all the conversations about which optic or reflector is best for the Cree emitters.

I think your question is best answered by evan9162s Optics shootout!

darkzero's Optics Review: Optics Review: Carclo Precision and others...

is interesting even though it's most LuxV. It shows good comparison beamshots.

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks icebreak.

i went ahead and put a high dome red/orange lux 3 in an unbranded(maybe nuwai) 1x123 light that had a low dome PYAJ star in it. works great and quite a difference!

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great!

I don't have an R/O but would like one. I understand they'll show blood vessels well. Try covering it up with your hand and check out your veins. That thing (can't remember the name) the nurse uses to check blood oxygen uses a red LED because red transmits through the human body better than white.

I'll bet that beam is has some wow factor.

greenLED

Flashaholic
There's a magic shimming distance that will give you a beautiful beam. You'll have to ask tvodrd what it is, I can't remember things anymore.

mosport

Enlightened
Icebreak summed it up nicely, the NX01 produces a more even beam compared to the NX05 and others have discovered it works great with Cree XRE too. Just wish they weren't discontinued...

Here's an underexposed pic of TX0H with NX01 optic in an ARC First Run, you can barely make out the square emitter die shape (less noticable in real life).

img1032wi3.jpg
img1034xo6.jpg

Migs, the magical shimming height is a cut up plastic water jug with a hole punched out :lolsign:

Edit:

Just measured and it's 1mm/0.0395", quick and dirty but works!

Last edited:

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
here are some pics(love my digital camera)

host is a gift from a generous cpf'r
2002526341300301028_rs.jpg

here it is destroying a hds b42xr. if I unscrew it a little the emitter comes into exact focus, but i would rather it be defocused as shown.
2002573283650061330_rs.jpg

and you asked about it, so here is a pic of the top of my foot. :sick2:
The red really does seem to make it easier to see through, but it is really bright as well:)
2002594804833350712_rs.jpg

now I just need to find a suitable host for the cyan emitter I have.
thanks icebreak and cpf.