ARC LSHF-P Cree XR-E mod

mosport

Enlightened
Here's what I did with LSHF-P #0010, previously modded from stock with SX0H LUX-I @ 330mA and a shortened McR-18 reflector... Now packing a FLuPIC v2.2 sandwich driving a P3 WC bin Cree XR-E :naughty:

The original Fraen optic was shortened and combined with A/R coated UCL, approx. 1mm of acrylic material was removed to re-focus. Two corners were dremelled off to disable the bottom positive pad, then attached with AA epoxy. For neatness, I made small washer from Tyvek to sit underneath the optic.

img1070wg6.jpg
img1075lb8.jpg

Beam is bleach white, without any warm tint. The Fraen mod produces an intense focussed hotspot within a square shaped die projection (note: little notches are from die wires), surrounded by a small corona. A different pattern than what a reflector produces, but is really growing on me in a retro ARC kinda way. At 2-3m the Fraen's beam is slightly larger than my HDS B42's hotspot, but with less sidespill produced. This is the tradeoff for XR-E spot intensity and throw, pics below are at normal exposure, -1, -2 underexposed (click to enlarge).

Thanks Goldserve for the custom programming! This one has normal v2.2 firmware, except mode 2 was replaced with Max > Hi > Lo > Off > Set Brightness > Set Mode > Repeat since regular modes 2 and 3 have the same sequence. Perfect for when you need maximum brightness on the first click!

:rock:

Derek

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool mod Mosport. Tyvek washers, interesting.

I would love it if my FLuPICs came stock with that reprogrammed mode.

How long does it take for the head to get toasty on Burst?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Very nice! :twothumbs

As a slight aside, I always liked the squarish beam coming from those optics. I know some people can't stand those "artifacts", blah-blah-blah... personally, I like squarish beams! :grin2:

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard that the McR18mm when modded makes a great beam with the XRE. Might want to try that too ;)

mosport

Enlightened
Thanks guys,

Wanted to take some backyard beamshots tonight but there's snow on the ground reflecting streetlights.

Tyvek is a great modding material LumenHound, it's low lint, tear resistant, anti-static, opaque and can be picked up for free (courier envelopes :sssh: ). 1/4" and 3/4" sized punches were used to make the discs. About the custom FLuPIC programming, Goldserve is a good guy and still has my modes saved on his computer so just let him know on your next order.

Also did a quick test, the light was set to brightness level 10 (level 20 on v2.1) and was slightly warm after 5 mins unheld at room temperature. After 10 mins unheld, it was comfortably warm from head to tail, but not hot. On max burst it reached the approximately the same temperature in 5 minutes unheld. Will make for a nice hand warmer this time of year.

Isaac, think it was TranquillityBase who sucessfully modded the McR-18 base to focus XRE's but I don't own or have access to a lathe (nevermind not knowing how to use one!). Had to settle for a file and sandpaper to shorten the Fraen, maybe in the future I'll get one modded and try it out. But for now I'm happy with the Fraen profile / pairing and am now a converted square beam fan like Migs and THE_dAY :)

mosport

Enlightened
Caught up in the rush of excitement completing this mod, I didn't stop to take take any pics of the driver. As you may know, optics are a nightmare to centre properly and this setup was no different. If disturbed, it really is a chore to re-position the CREE XRE for a quality beam.

If still curious, my other LS mod thread has FLuPIC sandwich making details. Substitute the Lux-III for an XRE using the attachment techniques you are most comfortable with.

HTH