tomb of unknown soldier question

redskins38

Newly Enlightened
Ive always wondred, do the guards of the tomb have live ammunition in their rifles? If they do, are they given the right to use deadly force to protect the tomb?

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
My understanding is yes and yes to both questions. It may have changed, but that is what was told to me at the site a number of years ago by one of the members of the honor guard. Arlington National Cemetary is one place every American should vist, it is quite amazing.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The website has a lot of information.

It was a favorite part of our stay in D.C. last year. Everyone who visits should be prepared to be quite moved be quite moved by the experience. However, always remember that it is this nation's most sacred ground. Pay respect and be sure to read and follow the protocols when you visit. We saw many people who failed to remove their hats during the changing of the guard at The Tomb of the Unknowns, and quite a few who even failed to stop talking -- these were adults who should have been ashamed of themselves.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
So the military can defend a dead man with a loaded gun but DC citizens cannot defend their loved ones with the same? :thinking:

Washington DC, sounds about right.

Edit to add: No disrespct meant to the soldier by calling him a dead man. I know he is much more than just a dead man.

aggiejason

Newly Enlightened
I had the privelege of witnessing the changing of the guard ceremony a couple of years ago. It sent chills up my spine! It was quite moving. Then there was this freakin' MORON who was moving about and taking pictures and causin' a ruckus. :scowl: I was hoping one of the guards would shoot this a-hole. :xyxgun:

redskins38

Newly Enlightened
Hopfully ill be able to get there someday. Id ALMOST would feel sorry for the poor soul that did cross the line and made the guards do something.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never been to Arlington, but I've visited the U.S. cemetery in Normandy, France in 1994 at the 50th anniversary of d-day. It was a very emotional experience. My mother, who was a Marine during WWII, was in tears as we walked along the rows. A few years later the same cemetery was shown in the opening and closing shots of "Saving Private Ryan", and again it brought me to tears.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like the way the feds got that land though. It was Robert E. Lee's home. It was occupied by federal troops and there was a "wartime law" requiring owners of occupied property to show up in person to pay their taxes. When Lee didn't show up, the land was confiscated for non-payment. They immediately started burying dead soldiers there. There were a lot of dead soldiers in that war.

It seems there are only three things certain in this life. Death, taxes, and thugs. I wonder how southerners feel about the cemetery.

Last edited:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
eluminator said:
I don't like the way the feds got that land though. It was Robert E. Lee's home. It was occupied by federal troops and there was a "wartime law" requiring owners of occupied property to show up in person to pay their taxes. When Lee didn't show up, the land was confiscated for non-payment. They immediately started burying dead soldiers there. There were a lot of dead soldiers in that war...
I'm not sure, but I've read that Lincoln was so POed at Lee that he started burying war dead there to insure that Lee would never come back to his pre-war home. Nothing would suprise me.

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not so sure that remark was called for, but realistically, you already know that different jurisdictions have different laws. First of all, the National Cemetary is Federal property, secondly, it is located in the State of Virginia and outside of the boundries of DC.

LifeNRA said:
So the military can defend a dead man with a loaded gun but DC citizens cannot defend their loved ones with the same? :thinking:

Washington DC, sounds about right.

Edit to add: No disrespct meant to the soldier by calling him a dead man. I know he is much more than just a dead man.

Blazer

Enlightened
Lee1959 said:
Arlington National Cemetary is one place every American should vist, it is quite amazing.

I was lucky enough to go when I was in elementary school, on a school trip. It was truly moving, even to this non-American. No matter where you are from (in the free world), just to see that many grave sites is moving.

Had the same kind of feeling visiting ground zero many years later (post 9/11).

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indeed it would be. Also it's hard to believe that that there was a time not all that long ago when the fallen could not be brought home to rest.

And while Silicon Valley is stricken with the untimely demise of one of their professional colleagues today, those who perished this day 65 years ago at the US Naval base and air station at Pearl Harbor should also be remembered

LowBat said:
I've never been to Arlington, but I've visited the U.S. cemetery in Normandy, France in 1994 at the 50th anniversary of d-day. It was a very emotional experience. My mother, who was a Marine during WWII, was in tears as we walked along the rows. A few years later the same cemetery was shown in the opening and closing shots of "Saving Private Ryan", and again it brought me to tears.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arlington was never owned by Robert E. Lee, but was his wifes, a daughter of George Washingtons stepgrandson, George Washington Parke Custis.

It's a bit more complicated than that, but it was initially taken by the federal government for taxes as noted above.

Then, Robert E Lee's son sued because it had been misappropriated and won. The Federal Government eventually bought it back for $150,000 and it then developed into what we know today.

There is a good history on the official Web site.

Few remember that Lee was actually offered command of the Union Army and turned it down to stay in his beloved Virginia. He was the only General that Lincoln truly respected as a fighting man until Grant came along.

Bill

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gawd Bill, you're such a party pooper!
Spoiling perfectly good urban legend and muddying it up with facts ;)

bwaites said:
Arlington was never owned by Robert E. Lee, but was his wifes, a daughter of George Washingtons stepson.

It's a bit more complicated than that, but it was initially taken by the federal government for taxes as noted above.

Then, Robert E Lee's son sued because it had been misappropriated and won. The Federal Government eventually bought it back for $150,000 and it then developed into what we know today.

There is a good history on the official Web site.

Few remember that Lee was actually offered command of the Union Army and turned it down to stay in his beloved Virginia. He was the only General that Lincoln truly respected as a fighting man until Grant came along.

Bill

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had misremembered a few things, but I've fixed it now.

I love history, love the Union, (although I'm a born and bred South Carolinian who had ancestors who fought on both sides.) I was just in Buena Vista, VA across the highway from Lexington, VA which is where Lee spent the rest of his life as president of Washington University, (now Washington and Lee).

I hate it when good, real history gets misconstrued! The truth is usually more interesting! Did anyone here know, for instance, that Lee was married to George Washingtons step granddaughter?

He never returned to Arlington, and his wife never tried to regain control, it was returned to his son only after his death.

He is buried at Washington and Lee University, along with his wife.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's off topic here, but there is a great story about his attending church that I was told in Virginia and which I'm trying to track down and document, if I find it, I'll post it.

Bill

stonehold

Newly Enlightened
I've seen the changing of the guard, roughly ten years ago. I believe the weapons were not loaded, but they carried a round in a carrier on their belt.
The most amazing display of precision and respect I'll ever see. They didn't take a breath that wasn't planned.