Coin cell spanks incandescent.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently gave most of my work colleges some of those coin cell lights from FifthUnit. One of them came back with a story the other day.

He and his father were going to do some plumbing in the cabinet under the sink. He said that he had a torch and pulled out the coin cell I had given him. His father said " That won't be bright enough." and went down the road to purchase a Duracell 2AA light for about £5 ( $10 ). When he got back they started working on the sink and my college rather smugly pointed out that the coin cell was much brighter than his brand new torch. He has asked me for another to give to his father.

Another college said " I never realised how much fumbling around in the dark I did before you gave me this." Both of these being people that the week before were asking me what was the point in carrying a torch all the time.

Just goes to show....

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's always that way.
"why do you carry around the thing all the time? It's DAYTIME".
Then, when it comes in handy, "Dude, that's awesome".
Do people lack the ability to see how something like a small light could come in handy?

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
JimmyM said:
"why do you carry around the thing all the time? It's DAYTIME".

There are lots of dark rooms in daytime, in commercial buildings, without windows, especially when the lights go out !!

Loos and lifts to name just a couple.

That's one reason we carry them, even just a keychain light, will get you out.

wmirag

Enlightened
Over the years I have given away maybe 60 or 80 of those $1 coin lights. Lots of them wind up being carried every day on keychains. The .22 in your pocket is more valuable that the .45 in your safe!

Bror Jace

Enlightened
An IT guy came to our office last week to fix someone's computer that was under a desk. He didn't have a light so asked around until he came to me. I thought the 2 x CR123 xenon light I had would be too much, the Task Force keychain light would be too dim but the 2AA Garrity incan I have was just right.

I know these guys are issued lights ... they just seem to carry them. :rolleyes:

InfidelCastro

Banned
I'll never understand why almost every IT/tech guy I see almost always has to ask to borrow a light.

It's like, after the first few hundred times of trying to look inside a case at a mainboard, you would wise up. These are supposed to be smart guys.

How hard is it even to carry a friggin $.50 coin cell light in your pocket if nothing else.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
headlamps are teh way to go in those under desk computer cases. YOu always look like a dork but having both hands free to work while lighting your way is priceless.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've given away a few of the coin cell lights from Lighthound and people report their surprise at how useful they are. Much brighter than my old ARC AAA but the ARC stays and will stay even after the TiCN Ti Draco shows up.

Yes, those little coin cell LED lights are pretty amazing.

InfidelCastro

Banned
Icebreak said:
I've given away a few of the coin cell lights from Lighthound and people report their surprise at how useful they are. Much brighter than my old ARC AAA but the ARC stays and will stay even after the TiCN Ti Draco shows up.

Yes, those little coin cell LED lights are pretty amazing.

I like them VERy much. I have a white one my keychain in addition to my 2002-2003 vintage, but faithful (and brightest red 5mm LED I've ever seen) Red Photon III.

Two things about them, they come with two 2016 batteries, instead of the typical 2032's.

This equals around 6V (nominal) instead of 3V. This severly overdrives the LED, and also two 2016 batteries won't last as long as a 2032. But the severe overdrive makes the light very, very bright. This can be gotten away with because the coin cell batteries are so small.

And it doesn't really matter either because the coincells and light can be replaced at such little cost.

I got mine back in August and have used it almost everynight for short bursts and I think it's still quite bright. It was almost as bright as my Inova X5 with severly drained batteries.

Now if you tried to drive that LED in the coincell light on two 3V CR123A's, it would probably go up in smoke almost instantly.

iamerror

Enlightened
InfidelCastro said:
Now if you tried to drive that LED in the coincell light on two 3V CR123A's, it would probably go up in smoke almost instantly.

Why can the LED handle 6V from the coin cells but not 6V from the 123As?

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
iamerror said:
Why can the LED handle 6V from the coin cells but not 6V from the 123As?

Internal resistance of Coincells prevent too much amperage from going through but with lower resistance of CR123 it'll release all the magic smoke.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Don't forget that coin cell lights are not regulated; they'll be dimmer than just about anything else within a few minutes of use. But, constant on is not their primary intended use, so I'll shut up now.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
Two things about them, they come with two 2016 batteries, instead of the typical 2032's.

This equals around 6V (nominal) instead of 3V. This severly overdrives the LED, and also two 2016 batteries won't last as long as a 2032. But the severe overdrive makes the light very, very bright. This can be gotten away with because the coin cell batteries are so small.

I did not know that. This explains a lot.

InfidelCastro said:
And it doesn't really matter either because the coincells and light can be replaced at such little cost.

Agreed. The folks I've given them to also use them in short bursts for light switches, key holes and such. They've been using them for 3 or 4 months like that.