How do you hold/aim/trigger your hand-held pointer?

waterwings

Newly Enlightened
I'm quite fond of testing my hand-eye coordinated aim while pointing a pen like object, so i hold it in a way that allows me to effectively trigger a short pulse by pulling my index finger back as if pulling a gun trigger.

button oriented down at ground. index finger near end of barrel, Below pointer, just in front of button.
thumb wrapping over from around the top. thumb tip sits on opposite side to the button. middle-ring-pinky grabbing around base near the rear end of pointer. (but mostly just middle and ring, pinky meely guiding stabalization under the ring finger)

trigger by providing upwards index finger force and sliding quickly over and past the button, thereby triggering the laser for a short duration as the button is depressed by sliding index finger.

yeah it's quite an empowering feeling i've noticed. lasers have perfect aim (unless refracting? through a medium of some sort i suppose). and now i'm figuring a way to have a "quick-draw" cowboy slinging method. hmm. have you guys ever considered one-shot duels, in the style of the wild west?
i feel like an 8 year old all over again.

jkaiser3000

Enlightened
have you guys ever considered one-shot duels, in the style of the wild west?

Yeah, I've thought of that. First one to shoot the opponent in the eye wins. The down side is you only have two chances to loose, after that, you won't see the enemy :grin2:

I'm joking, of course. My intention is to let you know that is not a wise idea, as it has it's risks. You may try some "sharp shooter" style competition, though. The one to hit closest to a given target wins. That is, if you still feel like 8 :laughing:

SuperBert

Enlightened
This post bothers me. It is the perfect example of why US Customs/ Homeland Security are so worried about laser devices. The desire to in a way "weaponize" lasers (for general leisure purposes) is the mentality that causes a bad rep for the rest of us who don't point our lasers at people/animals/vehicles. "Duels", and any misuse of lasers in general are why [few] companies have an age requirement or safety precautions in place prior to letting people buy their items.

-Brett

TotalLasers.co.nz

Newly Enlightened
SuperBert said:
This post bothers me. It is the perfect example of why US Customs/ Homeland Security are so worried about laser devices. The desire to in a way "weaponize" lasers (for general leisure purposes) is the mentality that causes a bad rep for the rest of us who don't point our lasers at people/animals/vehicles. "Duels", and any misuse of lasers in general are why [few] companies have an age requirement or safety precautions in place prior to letting people buy their items.

-Brett

Yeh is bothers me too.....but I couldn't help but laugh at jkaiser3000s post :lolsign:

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
I guess you can mount one to a scope to aim the laser before you turn it on. That or mount the laser to a scoped gun.

Empath

Flashaholic
Yeh, we could put a scope on it to aim, but then we need to put a scope on the scope to get the scope aimed; and a scope on that or maybe a laser on the scope. :laughing:

waterwings

Newly Enlightened
SuperBert said:

-Brett
Apologies, I really had no intention to bother you.

If you knew me, then you'd understand that I'm highly against weapons of any sort, other than things like swords in which you must actively engage and chase your openent... But guns, really I do hate them and wish they had never been invented, as they neither contribute anything productive nor progressive (unless you consider increasingly advanced ability to create destruction to be progress)to the planet. And I don't believe in pointing lasers at animals. It's cruel unless you give them a chance to point around with a laser themselves. For instance, what would a monkey do with a laser pointer?

Anyhow, the lasers I was thinking of were of the class IIIa class, like what I have, nothing of the nuclear-fission output levels you guys tote around. So would that put things into better perspective?

In the long run, age requirements often don't do much. Age is not an accurate reflection of sensibility and responsibility, take me for example, I'm an idiot. What you really need to keep idiots in check are liscenses.
Laser-handling liscenses. In which the liscense holders must take test which put stress on aiming ability, quick-draw maneuvers, and split decision-making scenarios utilizing lasers.
Empath said:
Yeh, we could put a scope on it to aim, but then we need to put a scope on the scope to get the scope aimed; and a scope on that or maybe a laser on the scope. :laughing:
OR you could just hold the magical lazer rod in the manner of a wizard aiming a wand. :touche:that's a good smiley.

Last edited:

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
This is how I would normally aim & discharge a laser pointer or handheld laser module.
In this photograph, I am holding a PGL-IIIA, but this technique is used for all lasers in pointer format.

aimingla.jpg