Energizer e2 titanium...

EsthetiX

Enlightened
Are these batterys actually any better or are they just another corporate marketting scheme. Would these better than regular energisers for use in LED flashlights?

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
They perform slightly better than regular alkalines in flashlights

AA%20cells.png

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody have any idea how long after the package date they're good for? My co-worker found a couple of boxes of retail 2-packs of e2 Titanium 9V batteries that are all dated 2005. He gave me a box.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
My guess is package dating is for near average around 95% capacity remaining for batteries. If you test them you will probably find the 9v batteries measuring between 8.5v and 9v+. At the price for 9v I would gladly take name brand cells with 90% capacity remaining since the cheapest alkaline buy is about $1.50/each in 6 packs at Home Depot. Typical price is $2.50-$3.99 each (rediculous IMO).

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lynx_Arc said:
My guess is package dating is for near average around 95% capacity remaining for batteries. If you test them you will probably find the 9v batteries measuring between 8.5v and 9v+. At the price for 9v I would gladly take name brand cells with 90% capacity remaining since the cheapest alkaline buy is about $1.50/each in 6 packs at Home Depot. Typical price is $2.50-$3.99 each (rediculous IMO).

Well, I check one pack. I think they must have been stored under extreme conditions, because they're pretty dead. Right out of the packaging, one measured 7.04v, and the other 6.39.

jrmcferren

Enlightened
Trashman said:
Well, I check one pack. I think they must have been stored under extreme conditions, because they're pretty dead. Right out of the packaging, one measured 7.04v, and the other 6.39.

Keep them out of the smoke detectors, but they are OK. They are not the best of shape and are really low. They will still work in transistor radios, lights, remote controls, etc. The cutoff for a 9-volt is 5.4 volts (0.9 per cell). You could just have a bad pack too.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
AndyTiedye said:
Interesting that the Kirkland (Costco?) batteries scored better than most of the name brands.
And they're CHEEEEEEEEP!

The Kirkland name won't go on something if it isnt't the best :) Their car batteries are rated tops also.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
jrmcferren said:
Keep them out of the smoke detectors, but they are OK. They are not the best of shape and are really low. They will still work in transistor radios, lights, remote controls, etc. The cutoff for a 9-volt is 5.4 volts (0.9 per cell). You could just have a bad pack too.

Thanks. My co-worker gave me the other box. I'm going to check them all to see if there are any better ones.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm finding that the various packs do not have batteries containing similar charges, except in a few cases. In some cases, the batteries are in completely different states of charge, despite just being opened from the same retail packaged 2-pack.

Here's what I measured each pack of batteries at (1st cell, 2nd cell):

7.04, 6.39
5.62, 7.27
4.58, 8.04 (completely different!)
7.99, 7.01
7.29, 5.96
7.29, 8.00
6.62, 7.96
5.94, 6.59
7.30, 7.66
7.67, 7.59
7.21, 8.66 (<---a very good cell!)
4.75, 7.42

Not very consistent number, especially in a few cases. I wonder causes some to self-discharge at a rate so much greater than the other from the same pack?

The ones below 6v are going to get tossed. I put the 4 highest readings aside, for future use. I guess I might as well toss the 3 that are in the 6v range, too.

Another interesting thing I noticed, is that if I touch the battery to my tongue, and then measure it, the voltage drops a bit. The longer I hold it on my tongue, the lower the voltage drops. Can I consider this to be measuring the battery under load? Using the (no load) 5.94v battery, I measured the voltage as I held my tongue the battery contacts. It kept dropping until it reached about 4.15-4.19 volts, and then it stopped dropping.

One more interesting thing is, I can still feel my tongue buzzing!

I wonder if I should even save the ones measuring below (no load) 7.5v?

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
chevrofreak said:
The Kirkland name won't go on something if it isnt't the best :) Their car batteries are rated tops also.

Johnson Controls makes most (if not all) Kirkland batteries. They are the Original Equipment Manufacturer for Costco.

They are also the guys that make the Optima brand as well as others. So, good stuff for the most part.

Who makes Kirkland alkaline batteries? One of the major OEM's I would imagine.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
bill_n_opus said:
Johnson Controls makes most (if not all) Kirkland batteries. They are the Original Equipment Manufacturer for Costco.

They are also the guys that make the Optima brand as well as others. So, good stuff for the most part.

Who makes Kirkland alkaline batteries? One of the major OEM's I would imagine.

I think someone said their AA's are Eveready Gold's.

B612

Newly Enlightened
Either these batteries have been stored under extreme conditions or they have a faulty batch, I bought twenty of these energizer e2 9v batteries at the end of 2005 cheap at 50p each from 7dayshop about 8 were dated 2006 lowest measuring 7.79v and the rest dated 2008 the highest measuring 9.04v I only noticed last week when a smoke alarm needed its battery replaced it failed two before I checked the voltage then I installed one that tested the highest it still failed, so check these under load if you do buy any.