Looking for a warm white head light.

ken2400

Enlightened
Had a guy install a furnace in my house on Tuesday. Got to talking about lights and LED and all. He says he has tried to use them BUT the he can not get use to the color.

Does anyone know where buy a head light that produces a color that looks more like the old fashon lights?

If not anyone know of a head light that can go hours on C or D batts?

Thanks

Meduza

Enlightened
Just buy a easy modable headlamp and put a Luxeon Warm-white in it instead of the original luxeon?

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I replaced the RW0H (already mildly warm) in my PT EOS with an SV1H as soon as I got it. It is even warmer. I have a Q3 that came with SV1K and has a nice warm color too. Best for color and depth rendition compared to the bluer tints. Some overly blue or even pure while LEDs leave things looking flat, pasty, or pale. It's probably the more blue tints from old 5mm's that turn some people off to LEDs the most.

It is rare to be able to spec a tint in a light, so you may have to mod one. Only some small, specialty builders can make batches of specific tint codes. Or buy a half dozen at a time and pick the best one & return the rest.

ken2400

Enlightened
Blindasabat could you supply me with a link for the light and the LED? I was thinking I would have to mod something. If anyone has some links for this stuff please chime in.

Thanks.

Blindasabat said:
I replaced the RW0H (already mildly warm) in my PT EOS with an SV1H as soon as I got it. It is even warmer. I have a Q3 that came with SV1K and has a nice warm color too. Best for color and depth rendition compared to the bluer tints. Some overly blue or even pure while LEDs leave things looking flat, pasty, or pale. It's probably the more blue tints from old 5mm's that turn some people off to LEDs the most.

It is rare to be able to spec a tint in a light, so you may have to mod one. Only some small, specialty builders can make batches of specific tint codes. Or buy a half dozen at a time and pick the best one & return the rest.

ken2400

Enlightened
What would you recomend Meduza? I hope it uses C's or D's?

Thanks

Meduza said:
Just buy a easy modable headlamp and put a Luxeon Warm-white in it instead of the original luxeon?

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the Princeton Tec EOS at REI.com. That only use AAA, but still run a long time if you use low, which was all I ever needed camping.
I got the SV1H Luxeon1 star from Photonfanatic here on the forum in the Dealers sub-forum. His thread: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=85330
He is out of SV1H Lux 1 stars, but has TV1K (brighter, same tint, but requires a little more voltage) Lux 3 stars for $7ea.
Stars are Waaaay easier to mod/replace than the bare emitter - all you need is some basic soldering skills: unsolder, then resolder two wires. There is a thread on replaceing the EOS star in the Headlights/Hybrids sub-forum.
Get a wider optic from him as well ($5) something like 15 degrees for a far more useable beam for close work.

There are AA powered headlights that may serve you better if you were looking for c or D cell lights. This 4C Petzle may be the only large cell headlamp I know of (and I just found it searching now), and it is being replaced by the 4AA Petzle Myo. Both are hybrids that use incan and 5mm LEDs though... So take a look at the highly regarded 4AA PT Apex. I think people have modded that one too, so see if you can find a thread on that in the Headlights sub-forum.

Good luck.

ken2400 said:
Blindasabat could you supply me with a link for the light and the LED? I was thinking I would have to mod something. If anyone has some links for this stuff please chime in.
Thanks.

Meduza

Enlightened
ken2400 said:
What would you recomend Meduza? I hope it uses C's or D's?

Thanks

In fact i would reccomend the PT Apex, not C or D size tough, but a 4xAA pack that lasts quite a while.
http://www.princetontec.com/products/index.php?id=2&type=0&use=1

The only headlights i know of right now that is able to use C cells is the Silva L1...
http://www.silva.se/outdoor/products/head_l1.htm

But that is a external belt pack, and i do not know how easy it is to do a led swap in the L1...

C and D is a very unusal battery size for LED headlights due to that they got quite good runtimes with smaller cells and when you start to use C and D they cant be self-contained on the head anymore, it got to be a beltpack or something like that...