Why buy anthing else

trvc

Newly Enlightened
Ok I am new to CPF and started my collection of surefire's . I have about 10. I have been collecting knives for a very long time so I am familiar with the collecting fever . My question is from what I can see , Why buy anthing than a surefire ?

trvc
:huh:

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why buy anthing than a surefire ?

Because there is plenty of other nice stuff out there. And Surefire don't make anything as pocketable or flexible as the HDS EDC series.

There are only one or two SF's that I really desire (Milky L1 and an L5).

CFU

Last edited:

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
surefire is personaly my only lights but i do think there are some companys out there that look like they make some good stuff like GLO-TOOB or and ARC AAA-P and FENIX has a nice linup but that fact of the matter is that some company are good but expensive and some are cheap and have a pretty good desighn. so i would stick to surefire except for a select few but that is just my opinion.

hope this helps!, David

trvc

Newly Enlightened
Just so you guy's know this was not a knock on the other fine brand that are out there. Basically I am looking to be enlightened . Show me the way . If my pocket can afford it .

trvc

deranged_coder

Enlightened
As excellent as Surefire lights are (I own several), Surefires are not the only makers of excellent lights out there.

If you are looking for lights that run on easily available AA or AAA batteries, then Surefire is right out. Same thing if you want something small and compact enough to have on a keychain or around your neck, for example. I believe the smallest light in the Surefire line is the E1e Executive Elite and that is still (IMHO) too big to be used as a keychain light.

Nothing against Surefire lights (I own a lot of them; my current EDC includes a L4 on my belt, U2 in a cargo pants pocket, KROMA in my jacket, A2 and L1 in my Fatboy) but there are also plenty of other equally nice, useful lights out there, from a variety of different manufacturers.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sold my G2 and 6P in favor of a Streamlight Scorpion. The rubber body and internal clickie make it a better light for my purposes, plus it comes with a spare bulb. I also use an upgraded Magcharger because SF doesn't make anything in that segment. And a Streamlight Stylus for the same reason.

Roccomo

Enlightened
Here's two very cool reasons to look beyond Surefire:

2x2.jpg

McGizmo and HDS

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are so many other lights, besides Surefires. How about those customs? Have you seen how incredibly small Modamag's Draco is? ...or how unique and cool Mobile1's Gatlight, and Data's Spy light are? Then, there is the brute force and versatility of the Mag mods. The Lumaray! How about that one? There are just so many great lights out there, that to consider buying lights other than Surefire is as easy as pie.

NAW

Enlightened
There LED lights and HID lights can easily be blown away by some of the other manufactureres out there.

For ex.

-Surefire LED Vs other Cree based lights

-or SF beast Vs Helios

iamerror

Enlightened
There are definately other options besides Surefire. I think HDS makes some amazing flashlights. Some other good options include Fenix, Eternalight, Princeton Tec, Arc, and Streamlight. Surefire might not be the best option if you are looking for a headlamp, keychain light, or something that takes common batteries, also.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
While Surefire is the best mainstream company, there are many other smaller companies that produce high quality lights and some companies that produce very nice lights at reasonable prices.

I only own 1 Surefire light (G2 w/3.7v 100 lumen bulb,UCL lens, and 17670 cell. I like it quite a bit but I have other lights I use way more often. Surefire doesn't have anything all that small, and they don't have any small LED lights. Most of their lights also are made for dual 123 cells (obviously because they produce their own cells), instead of using rechargable 123 cells like many other manufacturers.

FredM

Enlightened
Their only 1 cell LED doesn;t have very flat regulation. Nice battery but the head obviously needs 2 cells minimum

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF is a good company. There are many others who produce quality lights on a much smaller scale. Kinda like Benchmade Knives, they aren't the only one producing quality production knives. William Henry, Spyderco, Kershaw or...

As nice as SF is, the mass runs of CNC produced parts becomes monotonous. Nice examples of machining can be seen in lights like the McLux PD, Peu's Pineapple bodies...and many other small run's by CPF members.