Removing light scratches on windshield

TOB9595

Enlightened
Well I learned a lot re scratches on plastic. Ihave a Ford:( that a previous Uncle used cheap paper towels, I guess, to clean his windshield. There are kaliedoscopic wonders on rainy nights. I know there are techniques to remove these. I just don't know what they are. I never wipe a windshield with paper towels. Recycled PT's can scratch surfaces badly.
I was thinking of replacing the glass. Then I have the concern of leaks. Always a concern after glass replacement.
Any help guys? Gals?

rycen

Enlightened
I know that Rain X makes a good glass polish,should be ava at wally world or a auto supply store.

Darell

Flashaholic
There are plenty of glass polishes for orbital polishers on the market. You'll have to look at the pro detailer areas probably though.

I'm not sure who replaces the glass in your area, but the times I've had it done here, they do an amazingly thorough job. My guess is that my replacement glass is done better than it is done at the factory.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
There's the stuff that has fillers in it, and there's the stuff that does it abrasively. For me the filler stuff just makes glare.

The cheapest, probably safest abrasive polish is regular (not whitening, not gel) toothpaste. Soft clean cloth, clean window first, work in small areas - let us know how it works!

Ted T

Newly Enlightened
If you use a buffer, keep moving. Hot spots can crack the glass. I saw a professional polish a windshield. It looked like very slow going, very labor intensive.
Ted

TOB9595

Enlightened
When all is said and done, I'll contact a auto glass outfit about the cost of removing the scratches.
Thanks for all the ideas.
Tom