Another "dead Surefire U2" thread...

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have had my U2 for about four months now, I think. Minimal usage; light is on its second set of cells, and those have almost zero runtime on them.

So the wife and I are house-hunting; the only time we have to look at houses is after work (ie. in the dark) and tonight we checked into a place that was unoccupied and had no utilities (electric, water, gas). I pulled out my U2 while the realtor got the front door key out of the lockbox and then poof, the light shuts off.

That's all she wrote folks!

Brought the light home to troubleshoot it and assemble the new 2x2x18650 from Fivemega I received today... long story short, the U2 is really dead, and I don't mean the switch. The electronic portion appears to have gone open-circuit on me.

Disppointing for a premium U.S.-made light. My $32 Golston is still running strong, and that baby's been ABUSED.

FredM

Enlightened
Well at the worst you get a brand new one. Not saying it doesn;t suck just trying to make you feel better

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you try to short the tail cap out of the circuit? There have been a handful of tailcap problems from batches a fews months back. Btw what cells are you using.

lightUup

Newly Enlightened
IB4DSKDAA

(In Before The Surefire Koolaid Drinkers And Apologists) :laughing:

Just send it back for warranty!

greenLED

Flashaholic
That's really weird. My first impulse (and just because I like to tinker) is to ask you about the tailcap, since that's where most of the failures seemed to occur. Other than that, just call SF, get an RMA and send it back for repair. Unless... you were using 2xR123's... in which case, you voided the warranty. :awman:

SunStar

Enlightened
Same thing happened to my first U2. It ran great and then all of a sudden - without warning - it didn't... leaving me in the dark. The fault was in the electronics. However, SF promptly replaced the entire light with one that was brighter, has better tint and has not given me any trouble. I feel the replacement U2 is a better light in every respect except for the presence of a slight donut - but it does seem to throw slightly better than the original without a donut.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Monocrom said:
So which back-up light did you pull out when your U2 died on you?

LOL. Actually the *U2* was my backup light! The Microfire HID and Surefire M4 were in MY car, and it just so happens that that day we carpooled in my wife's car. The U2 is my office briefcase light. Bummer again, because I ended up picking up a client from New Zealand that day in my wife's dirty Honda instead of my clean and new Audi.

BTW.... the U2 is totally stock using Surefire CR123s. Nothing unapproved about it. (The 18650 light I mentioned is something else, something from FM that arrived in the mail that same day.)

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the thing that make's me shy away from a U2, we've seen alot of this kind of
thing. It's hard to think that SF cannot come up with some fixes for what would other
wise be a great light. And YES, I am a SF fan.

firefly99

Enlightened
scott.cr said:
Brought the light home to troubleshoot it and assemble the new 2x2x18650 from Fivemega I received today... long story short, the U2 is really dead, and I don't mean the switch. The electronic portion appears to have gone open-circuit on me.

See another case of electronic cirucit failure causing the downfall of an LED light. The recommend primary cell to use are CR123, bet you are not using it.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for your loss.

If you have a wide body and want to use 18650s at some time in the future you could ask if it is ok to send in just the head.

I'm assuming that you checked the tailcap when I sent the above;)

SF will send you a new one, but I agree that it should never need sending in.... :(

Monocrom

Flashaholic
scott.cr said:
LOL. Actually the *U2* was my backup light! The Microfire HID and Surefire M4 were in MY car, and it just so happens that that day we carpooled in my wife's car. The U2 is my office briefcase light. Bummer again, because I ended up picking up a client from New Zealand that day in my wife's dirty Honda instead of my clean and new Audi.

BTW.... the U2 is totally stock using Surefire CR123s. Nothing unapproved about it. (The 18650 light I mentioned is something else, something from FM that arrived in the mail that same day.)

LOL ..... If it's not on you, it's your primary.

No back-up light in your pocket or key-chain? What kind of Flashaholic are you??
:lolsign:

byron8

Newly Enlightened
Guess I'm not buying Surefire LED. Just wrote post on my Gladius broke in less than a week. I have 5 surefire incandescent and none had problems over many years. I used my 3 cell Surefire tactical, which they don't make anymore, for my home inspection when I was house hunting also, worked great and batteries seemed to last a long time considering.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It's mostly the U2 and on some occassions the Kroma. Other Surefire LEDs work fine. My L4 is absolutely wonderful. No problems with it at all. :)