I want to make my own reflectors

DELLED

Newly Enlightened
I want to make my own reflectors (for incan or LED) but how do you design them for spot or for flood? Is there a guide? Rules of thumb? How do you get them reeeeally shiney and smooth? I guess the main question is how does light come out of the LEDs? Ican bulbs?

Thanks

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're kidding, right?

If not, then you should know that reflectors are more or less parabolic. The "more or less" part is known as the divergence and is measured in degrees. Most reflectors have some divergence. The less divergence, the tighter the spot (theoretically). The problem is that if there is no divergence, and you are using a non-point source (which you are), then the beam will only be a spot at a certain distance. Mag solved this problem by having a cam action focus. Personally, I prefer a reflector with a decent amount of divergence in it, like a SureFire, and OP coating, that yields a beam good at a large range of distances.

Moving on, the tighter the parabola, and the more of it you have, then the more it is going to throw and be a spot beam. The opposite of these gives you a flood. Also, the more you defocus the filament from the focal point, the more you will have a flood, plus a "hole" in the beam, of course.

As for shiny and smooth, that comes with a good machining job, plus undercoating, plus vacuum metalizing. Usually this is done with aluminum, but there are other choices. There are comanies who could do this for you. NewBie posted a thread on this at one point.

As for the "main question" of how light "comes out" of the LED or incan bulb, that's a real corker, that is. It does indeed "come out". In an incan filament which is wound around a round core, the radiation pattern is largely cylindrical, around the filament in the way you'd expect. If the filament is transverse, it is oriented perpendicular to the axis of the reflector bore. If the filament is axial it is oriented parallel and coincident with the reflector bore.

So, tell me, how do you plan on machining your reflectors? Do you have some kind of sophisticated setup, like a Swiss multi-axis CnC machine or something?

You know that companies like Carley Lamps sell reflectors of various diameters, and coatings, right? Wouldn't it be easier and better to buy your own?

bright-bulb

Newly Enlightened
Best rule of thumb is to use common sence in buying good imaging book. you will notice the parabolic curves are sometimes to round to throw straight light for long distance. Best to buy from China folks becuase they make lights bright and good. OK? Good now you can buy reflector. Ok?

DELLED

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a sophisticated setup, actually don't have anything yet - but thought it might be possible to make my own (at least start designing my own). Sounds like the machining is more complicated than I thought. Thanks for the Carley info. I assume its www.carleylamps.com ?

Thanks for the heads up on the ican bulb light output. Makes sense. As for the LEDs - do the LED specs (ie Luxeon) state the angle of output - I assume they would but have never seen a spec sheet.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
DELLED said:
Sounds like the machining is more complicated than I thought.

Hell yes. Even the slightest bit of systematic ringing or warping will cause awful, awful beam artifacts, even with orange peeling.

I had a company make up some orange peeled TigerLight Gen 4 LA's for TL--Michael gave me the go-ahead to investigate it for a CPF special type thing to feel out the demand--and the OP process put some warps and distortions in the reflectors. Small ones, but still it was enough to totally eff up the beams to the point that out of four samples, only one was as good as a regular old smooth Gen 4 LA. Turns out you can't OP a spun reflector! Or at least this company couldn't.

Point is that, yes, you need some very good, clean, precise, smooth machining to start with, and even then, it's best to undercoat the surface to make it truly smooth. At least that is what I have seen done on most machined reflectors--SureFire, Carley, etc.

Making reflectors ain't easy. And finding companies that make them ain't easy either.

highorder

Enlightened
thats it! I'm making a few just to see how bad they are.

someone give me some OD and height specs for a common light for testing. we shall see how hard it really is.