LED replacement for 7.2v Xenon bulb ?

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a direct drop in replacement, or second choice, an easy mod to replace the 7.2v Xenon bulb, as below, with a LED ?

Using either 3v / 3.6v RCR123's, giving volts of 3.6 & 4.2 ish after charging.

Bulb very small, approx 5mm across

This type of bulb>>>

This type of torch>>

Last edited:

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting Idea! if the bulb holder is drilled out properly a 4D magled module could fit. YOu could surface mount any emitter after some minor drilling and a small resistor. Just brainstorming here. Nope, that's all I've got. I like the surface mount / resistor idea. reflector might need some fine tuning and the hole for the bulb might be a problem (fill it with thermal adheisive).

I have to say, I don't like the rechargables in series for this type of light. primaries will give longer runtimes and brightness will need to be dialed in for the voltage (via the resistor) so a primary setup should get 4 times the runtime vs a rechargeable setup at the same brightness because of the smaller capacities and need for larger more heat generating resistor.

Last edited:

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
does anyone have an idea of what resistor to use on two primary cr123 batteries in series driving a LuxIII? That's about 6 volts. I'm currious because I'm thinking of buliding something similar into removable lamp assembly.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
carbine15 said:
this thread should be moved to the modified lights thread.

Why.

It's only you promoting modding it.

My request was for a drop in replacement, possibly mod, second choice !

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're right of course. My appologies. To my knowledge there are no drop in mods for these lights and noone else seems interested in helping so I thought I might.