Faulty SF Z59 Clickie - Any Suggestions to fix?

harddrive

Enlightened
I bought a SF Z59 clickie on ebay. It was new, sealed in the bag but when I fitted it to my 6P its wont work. When I play around screwing it on and off I occasionally get a flash of light but thats it. The button also feels pretty bad. ie sometimes stiff, sometime quite good.

Has anyone else had similar problems?
Any ideas for a "quick fix"?
Will surefire replace under warranty if I bought on ebay? I am in AUSTRALIA and am not real keen on sending it back to the USA for warranty claim.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello harddrive and welcome to CPF:)

You can1.: return to the seller

2.: send to SF

3.: open and take a look to the inside of the switch, I've heard from a brand new switch, where a spring was build in the wrong way.

Good luck and best regards

____
Tom

harddrive

Enlightened
Thanks for the quick reply Long John.

I contacted the seller and a summary of his reponse was "your problem now buddy".

I want to avoid sending back to sufefire due to the cost of posting back to the USA, and because I am impatient and want things fixed yesterday.

Do you have any idea of how to pull apart the tailcap and check the spring??

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are threads about disambling the different SF-switches. Use the search function about it (I have no time at the moment). I think the chance is great, to fix it by yourself:)

Best regards

_____
Tom

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
quote harddrive:
Do you have any idea of how to pull apart the tailcap and check the spring??

Sorry to hear about your problems. Here is an excerpt from a FAQ I have been preparing for a project of mine.
Please remember that you will void the warranty by disassembling the switch.

How Do You Remove The Retaing Ring?
- Heat the switch to loosen the thread locker on the retaining ring by using either of the following methods.
Seal in a small Ziploc bag and boil in hot water for a few minutes, or use a heatgun.
Avoid aiming directly at the rubber boot.

- Grip in a beltwrench or vise, fit a pair of needle nose/snap ring pliers in the small holes to twist the retaining ring CCW.
Be careful and use slow/steady pressure to turn. The tool can slip easily and scratch the HA finish.

Another useful tool would be an adjustable watch wrench. You can find them on eBay. Search watch wrench.

These work perfectly and enabled me to open a Z59 without heating it.

I Scattered The Switch Parts. In What Order Do I Put Them Back Together?
See Pic

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Long John :wave:

I posted info on fixing a Z57 (the smaller clicky for the E-series) in this post.

Not sure if it works with the Z59 though it may be worth a try.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a washer repair on my Z59 and it helped alot, at least so far. You'll have to
cut the battery washer into 4 section's because it's not big enough to fit. Let us know
how it work's for you. Snap ring plier's in the hole's and mine came apart easily.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another advice, I found inside the switch at the spring a kind of grease, but it was a crappy glueing something else.....:whistle:

Clean it with alcohol or contact cleaner. Then I put "White Lightning" in. It's wax-based and very good for threads, screws, nuts..... (bicycle store). With the mod MARNAV1 descripted, you'll get the smoothest clicky ever:)

Best regards

_____
Tom

harddrive

Enlightened
Thanks heaps to all of you. I think I'll try the repair my self. If i mess it up I will put it down to expierience. This forum is a god send for a newbie like me.

Thanks again and merry xmas.

harddrive

Enlightened
FIXED!!!!!!!!!

I pulled the tail cap apart and played around a bit. I found that there are two little contact pionts that were not bent in enough to make contact when the thing was clicked on. Bent them both in a little further and all done. No need for washers or anything else.

Was an easy fix in the end. Still a little disapointing SF quality control didn't pick it up. I am seriously thinking about buying a falcata 6V to be my primary tactical light so the old 6P may be a back up anyway.

Thanks again to those who posted thier ideas on this thread.

Dijon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. I have been thinking of taking my switch apart for a few days and now I don't have to search for the destructions.

schrenz

Enlightened
Long John said:
.... Then I put "White Lightning" in. It's wax-based and very good for threads, screws, nuts.....Best regards

_____
Tom
Hello Tom
you recommend that grease in this forum, too? :laughing: :laughing: ;)
I hope here is not such a griper like N........:laughing: !
To the toppic:
I use a similar wax for my flashlights, often better than the OEM solutions.
Best regards Jens

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
schrenz said:
Hello Tom
you recommend that grease in this forum, too? :laughing: :laughing: ;)
I hope here is not such a griper like N........:laughing: !
To the toppic:
I use a similar wax for my flashlights, often better than the OEM solutions.
Best regards Jens

Hello Jens:wave:

Yes, because it works quiet fine:rock:

:lolsign:about the other theme........

Best regards

_____
Tom

Gordov2

Enlightened
Just had the same problem with a brand new Z58 clickie. SF is sending a new one. This should not happen with SF quality.

firefly99

Enlightened
harddrive said:
I bought a SF Z59 clickie on ebay.
How much did you pay for the clickie ?
harddrive said:
I contacted the seller and a summary of his reponse was "your problem now buddy".
Beware of items sold on ebay and in general any used items sold.

Some people may have dropped their EDC stuff, eg. light while answering nature call in the toilet and do not feel comfortable carrying the item afterwards. Hence they got rid of it on the eBay.

I would recommend getting a brand new light direct from Surefire or local Surefire dealer or reputable online store such as Lighthound, etc.

So far I had been purchasing from my local Surefire dealer,where I can actually have a hands-on and do some white wall before parting with my cash. I had no issue with the quality of Surefire lights.

Gordov2

Enlightened
CLICKIE FIXED!
I was able to fix my Surefire clickie on my M3-CB. I was getting intermittent use from the clickie and had to "jiggle" the light to get it to work - very irritating. However, after some experimentation, I found by compressing the spring on the new clickie cap with my thumb for about 60 seconds, I was able to lessen the pressure on the batteries (spring) just enough. Apparently, this was indeed the problem, as decreasing the spring pressure was the ideal fix.

BigMHoff

Newly Enlightened
BACK FROM THE DEAD!!

Thanks to this thread, I took apart and reassembled my broken Z59, bingo!! I used a watch wrench and it unscrewed easy, no heat.

This forum is an amazing source of info!