P1D CE with 3.7 volt

LITEDISORDER

Newly Enlightened
I put a AW ICR 123 3.7 volt in my P1D CE and on high it shuts off at about 10 seconds. With a 3 volt rechargable this does not happen. Has anyone else had this problem?

Miracle

Enlightened
LITEDISORDER said:
I put a AW ICR 123 3.7 volt in my P1D CE and on high it shuts off at about 10 seconds. With a 3 volt rechargable this does not happen. Has anyone else had this problem?

does this happens for all rechargable 3.7V batteries on the P1D CE?

:huh2:

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect it's the overcurrent protection kicking in. I have a variety of rcr123's - all
of which work fine including an AW rcr123 3.7.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
Miracle said:
does this happens for all rechargable 3.7V batteries on the P1D CE?

:huh2:
Not at all. I've had no trouble using a Battery Station protected 3.7 volt cell in mine. And chevrofreak did some run time tests on the P1D CE using a 3.7 volt RCR. I don't know what brand it was, but suspect it was an AW, because he also tested it with a regulated AW cell.

c_c

Miracle

Enlightened
Curious_character said:
Not at all. I've had no trouble using a Battery Station protected 3.7 volt cell in mine. And chevrofreak did some run time tests on the P1D CE using a 3.7 volt RCR. I don't know what brand it was, but suspect it was an AW, because he also tested it with a regulated AW cell.

c_c

thankx for the info

LITEDISORDER

Newly Enlightened
That's weard, I have 4 new AW RCR 123 750mah 3.7s. It only shuts down in high mode. I'll try the other 3 to see if its just that one battery.

LITEDISORDER

Newly Enlightened
I just checked the other 3 batterys and they all work fine. Then I put the first one back in and it shut off after about 10 seconds. (case solved) but still don't why because they all read the same on my volt meter.

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the AW batt freshly charged? I know you said they all read the same voltage but I know that some of my lights seem to direct drive when a fresh batt is put in and they can read above 4 volts now worries at all. Does the same thing happen when it has been used a bit first?

LITEDISORDER

Newly Enlightened
My mistake. The bad one is 4.2 volts and the other three are 3.8 volts. I put the big black X on that one.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
The open circuit battery voltage should be 4.2 volts immediately after it's taken from the charger. If it isn't, it isn't fully charged. It drops very quickly to around 4.0 volts or less just as soon you begin drawing current from it.

My P1D CE is happy with cells fresh off the charger.

I'd guess your problem is one of these:

1. Your problem cell is current limiting at too low a current or the voltage protection is kicking in at much too high a voltage.
2. Your problem cell has much less than normal capacity or an extraordinarily high internal resistance, causing its voltage to drop below 3.0 volts much too quickly. When it hits about 3.0 volts, the cell will normally open circuit to protect it from over-discharge.
3. You got a bad batch of cells, all of which exhibit #1 or 2 above.
4. Your P1D CE is drawing an unusually large amount of current.

Try charging all your cells, then trying each one in the light. If only one misbehaves, then the problem is probably #1 or 2. If all three misbehave, then either #3 or 4 is probably the problem, and you'll have to get some different cells to find out which it is.

c_c

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious_character said:

c_c

The 800mAh cell was just a generic unprotected RCR123.